Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New member here, This my plan for my car what do you think

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 07:51 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Default New member here, This my plan for my car what do you think

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to figure everything out. First off forgive me if my post is blaberish I tend to drag things out. I have an 06 mustang gt auto, it's my weekend warrior. I have had it for 2 years but I am just starting to get into these forums ( they're extremely informative) aswell as modding. All my important mods are in my signature, I left the appearance mods out. I would just like some general input on my future plans for my car. I like to do all my own installs except FI and major engine work. I plan on getting an ati stage 2 pro charger down the road. Some say to go FI right away but I want to build up to it. I just installed the billet lcas and they look great. I have a set of kooks long tubes with a catted x pipe currently being shipped. I was going to swap my gears but I do slot of highway driving that can wait for the cams. I want to lower the car but I'm worried about clearance issues hope someone can chime in there. As well as if I lower it I believe I will need to get the lca relocation brackets. I am going with the steeda adj pan hard bar and brace, as well as their adj ucas, and their front sway bar. If I lower the car I will do their springs and the d spec struts. Is this a good combo, or would coil overs be worth the extra cost? I want to get a set of stage 2 comp cams, along with that I will need a 3k stall, can I run 3.73s with that or do I have to go 4.10s. I was planning on under drive pulleys but I heard when FI it can cause boost issues, is this true? I was researchin the electric h2o pump but I'm worried it could die on me. Also when I get my pro charger I will get a bigger TB and intake manifold, I've heard mixed reviews with these NA, so they can wait. Is an aluminum driveshaft worth getting?

Again sorry for blabbing, I am just trying to get my plan out there. Is this a good direction to head. I hope I am setting this up right, and of course after the pro charger I will get internals done eventually, this will be spread out over some time but this is my general idea, I like to have a plan. I heard these engines can handle around 430ish hp, not sure if that's to the wheel or crank. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, pardon my ignorance, but I was having trouble with searching all this.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:02 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

Welcome! Sounds like you've got quite a plan laid out! It gets tricky to try to advise/give opinions on a person's build! Our ways of doing things are often so different and everyone has a different goal and approach, but it sounds like you've got a pretty good one laid out! No doubt like everyone you'll make some adjustments and changes along the way, but that's part of the fun!

What are your ultimate goals? I mean, as far as power, and specifically how you want to use the car? For example a person that wants to do Autocross would want probably an entirely different setup from someone that plans to just beat it down the dragstrip as fast as possible. Some people just want an all around mean street car with 500+ hp. Some want a car that has enough muscle to play with anything out there, but to be timid on the road and as a daily vehicle. Knowing specifically what end result you're looking for will get more people with that background/experience to chime in

I had plans for F/I as well. But financially that is at least a year out for me, maybe more. I have plenty of fun with the car stock, but decided recently to do 4.10's, FRPP cams, long tubes, some intake work, etc. Just got my 4.10's in earlier this week, and let me tell you... It makes a world of difference. I'm not really looking to get F/I anymore at this point, the car is PLENTY mean now for me. I have as of tonight about 150 miles left to put on before they are broken in and I can really hit it, but it made a world of difference. I can tell just running around town. Puts a big grin on your face when not even 1/2 throttle can squawk the tires going into second! I have no idea how they affect an auto, as I have a 5 speed. It will vary as well with your highway speeds, naturally the faster you go, the more your mileage drops off. My car had 3.55's stock. Speed limit on the highways here, is 65. I lost about .4 miles per gallon with the 4.10's. That's not even enough of a hit on mileage for me to even consider it. You mentioned the gear swap and then highway driving like it worried you, but so far (almost 3 tanks gone with the 4.10's) the mileage loss isn't noticeable really. And around town, I actually gained on average about 1.2 miles per gallon!

Anyway, aside from gears so far I can't say much about performance mods. I am sure others will chime in. But it will help if you state your ultimate goals with the car. Sounds kind of like you're just wanting a beast of an all around GT, you're going to have a fun journey getting there! Share lots of info as you go!!
Old 08-13-2011, 12:16 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

With cams you need 4.10 gears for sure IMO. I have detroit rockers with 4.10s and a roush blower and the 4.10s gears are awesome. I am not very familiar with the procharger setup so read up before you buy anything, educate yourself in advance. If your serious about FI, dont waste your time on anything else, go FI first. Forget underdrive pulleys, those would have to be changed back to stock with FI. LT's are a great mod and such a joy to install. But installing them makes you a man on this site. Get some gloves and a 13mm flex head racheting tool, it'll save you hours of frustration and the gloves, about a quart of blood.

I race my car twice a month, 06 with an auto too. Having a proper tune is everything, I dont know much about the Steeda tune. I do know with a cai and brenspeed tune my auto would chirp second and third gears and ran 13.46 down the 1320.

Tons of options with lowering your car. Good luck, that sh*t overwhelms me. LOL

And welcome to the site, lots of good people here but the wallet tends to get smacked around a lot! Mods are addicting, look at my sig. I have had the car less than two years.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:18 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OhEightGT
Welcome! Sounds like you've got quite a plan laid out! It gets tricky to try to advise/give opinions on a person's build! Our ways of doing things are often so different and everyone has a different goal and approach, but it sounds like you've got a pretty good one laid out! No doubt like everyone you'll make some adjustments and changes along the way, but that's part of the fun!

What are your ultimate goals? I mean, as far as power, and specifically how you want to use the car? For example a person that wants to do Autocross would want probably an entirely different setup from someone that plans to just beat it down the dragstrip as fast as possible. Some people just want an all around mean street car with 500+ hp. Some want a car that has enough muscle to play with anything out there, but to be timid on the road and as a daily vehicle. Knowing specifically what end result you're looking for will get more people with that background/experience to chime in

I had plans for F/I as well. But financially that is at least a year out for me, maybe more. I have plenty of fun with the car stock, but decided recently to do 4.10's, FRPP cams, long tubes, some intake work, etc. Just got my 4.10's in earlier this week, and let me tell you... It makes a world of difference. I'm not really looking to get F/I anymore at this point, the car is PLENTY mean now for me. I have as of tonight about 150 miles left to put on before they are broken in and I can really hit it, but it made a world of difference. I can tell just running around town. Puts a big grin on your face when not even 1/2 throttle can squawk the tires going into second! I have no idea how they affect an auto, as I have a 5 speed. It will vary as well with your highway speeds, naturally the faster you go, the more your mileage drops off. My car had 3.55's stock. Speed limit on the highways here, is 65. I lost about .4 miles per gallon with the 4.10's. That's not even enough of a hit on mileage for me to even consider it. You mentioned the gear swap and then highway driving like it worried you, but so far (almost 3 tanks gone with the 4.10's) the mileage loss isn't noticeable really. And around town, I actually gained on average about 1.2 miles per gallon!

Anyway, aside from gears so far I can't say much about performance mods. I am sure others will chime in. But it will help if you state your ultimate goals with the car. Sounds kind of like you're just wanting a beast of an all around GT, you're going to have a fun journey getting there! Share lots of info as you go!!
Thanks for the quick response. Yes I should have mentioned, while this end result may be a bit vague, I just want my gt to be a beast of a street car that can hold it's own with most, but that I can still run down the strip a couple times a year.

Now that you say the 4.10s don't mess with gas mileage that much I may consider them. But I have heard that when cruising at say 70 and you mash the pedal there is no real kick anymore, is this true?
Old 08-13-2011, 10:26 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
With cams you need 4.10 gears for sure IMO. I have detroit rockers with 4.10s and a roush blower and the 4.10s gears are awesome. I am not very familiar with the procharger setup so read up before you buy anything, educate yourself in advance. If your serious about FI, dont waste your time on anything else, go FI first. Forget underdrive pulleys, those would have to be changed back to stock with FI. LT's are a great mod and such a joy to install. But installing them makes you a man on this site. Get some gloves and a 13mm flex head racheting tool, it'll save you hours of frustration and the gloves, about a quart of blood.

I race my car twice a month, 06 with an auto too. Having a proper tune is everything, I dont know much about the Steeda tune. I do know with a cai and brenspeed tune my auto would chirp second and third gears and ran 13.46 down the 1320.

Tons of options with lowering your car. Good luck, that sh*t overwhelms me. LOL

And welcome to the site, lots of good people here but the wallet tends to get smacked around a lot! Mods are addicting, look at my sig. I have had the car less than two years.
Thank you as well for the response. Wow sounds like you have a mean set up, I love the sound of the Detroit rockers. Now that I think of it if I get cams I will wait till after I go FI so I can just get a custom blower cam. But as far as you tell me to go FI right away, my funds will not be ready for that till around spring break of next year. Believe me I would love to throw that thing on there now but I have to be patient, hence starting with some cheaper supporting mods. I plan to install my headers on tuesday or Wednesday I will post how it goes with some pictures. I am expecting about 7-10 hours of install time in one shot. Thanks for the advice about the 13mm flex head, and this may sound corny but I always where gloves during installs because of the blood spilling factors. And yes I may venture over to the handling section and get some input before I pull the trigger on lowering my car.
Old 08-13-2011, 05:15 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Headers are great, and waiting on the cams till after the blower is smart IMO too. Waiting till spring is nothing. The difference a blower makes is massive, well worth every dollar.

This is the must have tool. I got mine at sears for $15. If you can install LTs in 7 hours without a lift, you are one speedy dude. Took me and friends an entire weekend. LOL

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-891...3273637&sr=1-1
Old 08-13-2011, 05:51 PM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Headers are great, and waiting on the cams till after the blower is smart IMO too. Waiting till spring is nothing. The difference a blower makes is massive, well worth every dollar.

This is the must have tool. I got mine at sears for $15. If you can install LTs in 7 hours without a lift, you are one speedy dude. Took me and friends an entire weekend. LOL

http://www.amazon.com/GearWrench-891...3273637&sr=1-1
Well I have the pypebombs and I installed an o/r x pipe. It sounded incredible, except it was to loud for my car, I want to be able to back up that sound and it sounded like I was making 600 to the wheels haha. So I figured I would get a set of LTs for a better sound and it also helps power a bit, and the cats will make sure the tone isn't to obnoxious (and because I have emissions testing) Also headers are great to have with a blower for obvious reasons. But I am very excited to get a blower. Also thanks for the information about that wrench I will be heading to sears to buy one tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:18 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3vStang
Well I have the pypebombs and I installed an o/r x pipe. It sounded incredible, except it was to loud for my car, I want to be able to back up that sound and it sounded like I was making 600 to the wheels haha. So I figured I would get a set of LTs for a better sound and it also helps power a bit, and the cats will make sure the tone isn't to obnoxious (and because I have emissions testing) Also headers are great to have with a blower for obvious reasons. But I am very excited to get a blower. Also thanks for the information about that wrench I will be heading to sears to buy one tomorrow.
You and me both!

First off, Welcome to the Forum. It's a great base of knowledge and instruction for anything you're planning on doing. Now, as far as your plan, sounds good. I'm with 808 on the springs, NO CLUE! lol...as far as performance you sound like you have everything laid out. From what i've been told, the TB is pointless prior to forced induction and intake manifolds really don't do much for you to justify their cost. Aluminum driveshafts are really just a way to decrease the weight of your ride and I personally can't wait to install 4.10's in my '06 auto! Look into a TCI ratchet shifter too...those look awesome and are fun to have from what i've heard. BAMA (american muscle) makes a good tune and chirps the tires through 3rd as well (been there ) Looking forward to see your plans unfold!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:01 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

My only two suggestions is to go with a twin screw blower and get a custom tune done for the blower.

You will be very happy with any of the twin screw blowers.

All your suspension stuff sounds good.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:02 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

And as far as the cam goes, deicde what your final blower choice is and then decide. Have the cams and blower done at the same time. you find a certain cam will be better than your choice, but IDK. Just look into it. You can call Comp and they will tell you the truth.

Quick Reply: New member here, This my plan for my car what do you think