Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Installed my Kooks LTs and catted X pipe (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:01 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Nice work.

It definitely is not easy to do. When I had my Pypes LT's installed, my mechanic didn't have to remove the steering arm. I think he got around that by removing the single bolt in the transmission xmember and jacking the engine up about 2-3 inches.

You forgot to mention the bastard 3rd bolt on the starter. You know which one I am talking about.

It definitely makes the car move easier and sounds a lot better over stock.

In contrast (and please, don't take offense to this because I am not knocking you at all), my mechanic did my headers, cams, intake manifold and xpipe in 8hrs.

But, he has every tool known to man and does this everyday also.

I applaud you for doing it yourself.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:41 PM
GerRod
2nd Gear Member

I installed my Kooks on jackstands by myself. Took me about 12 hours and yes it was a PITA. Did one other LT header install on My F150....
Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 3vStang
Haha will do.

Btw you have a ram srt-10? My close buddy had a 2 door 6 speed and he let me drive it very often. Just sold it though. He just had an intake, canned tune and stock exhaust but we removed the resonator and replaced it with two straight pipes. Idk what your exhaust set up is, but man that thing popped and gurgled like a ****. I'm talking very loud. It was awesome, tons of fun to drive though...just thought I'd share that lol
Mine has 4.88 gears, no cats, magnaflows, cai, tune, TB, aluminum flywheel, drop, etc.... etc..... and its a freaking beast to drive. I have put it sideways going into third it has so much torque........scary but fun. And yes it pops and gurgles like crazy. Its loud as sh*t and I dont even have headers. A totally different drive than the mustang. I truly love both vehicles.

Hackjob, I had HF cats and still had trumpeting. I had to add pypes m80s after the cats to get rid of it. Hopefully it'll work for you. Glad you got the tool, I use mine all the time.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:55 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by madmann26
Nice work.

It definitely is not easy to do. When I had my Pypes LT's installed, my mechanic didn't have to remove the steering arm. I think he got around that by removing the single bolt in the transmission xmember and jacking the engine up about 2-3 inches.

You forgot to mention the bastard 3rd bolt on the starter. You know which one I am talking about.

It definitely makes the car move easier and sounds a lot better over stock.

In contrast (and please, don't take offense to this because I am not knocking you at all), my mechanic did my headers, cams, intake manifold and xpipe in 8hrs.

But, he has every tool known to man and does this everyday also.

I applaud you for doing it yourself.

I know exactly which bolt your talking about, I thought it was hard to get it off with the stock manifolds, but putting it back in with the LTs on there...I think I used all my extensions for my ratchet lol. And nice, he made very good time.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:57 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GerRod
I installed my Kooks on jackstands by myself. Took me about 12 hours and yes it was a PITA. Did one other LT header install on My F150....
Nice job man, I had plenty of working room, I can't imagine being cramped under the car. Plus I'd be worried of scratching up the headers while attempting to get themvin place from laying down....if that makes sense
Old 08-19-2011, 01:05 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Mine has 4.88 gears, no cats, magnaflows, cai, tune, TB, aluminum flywheel, drop, etc.... etc..... and its a freaking beast to drive. I have put it sideways going into third it has so much torque........scary but fun. And yes it pops and gurgles like crazy. Its loud as sh*t and I dont even have headers. A totally different drive than the mustang. I truly love both vehicles.

Hackjob, I had HF cats and still had trumpeting. I had to add pypes m80s after the cats to get rid of it. Hopefully it'll work for you. Glad you got the tool, I use mine all the time.

Man It was so much fun to drive your right. I bet the gears throw you back in your seat. One day my buddy wanted to do a couple burnouts, but he wanted to see the smoke and what not from outside the car, so he asked me if I wanted to do a couple... I didn't hesitate to agree to that one, haha I ripped up and down that street, it was a blast

And I might not have the trumpeting sound now do to the pypebombs, since there resonated tips. Idk just a thought.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:38 AM
Hack Job
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Yeah, i've had a couple of posts where its been suggested to me to install the m80s. I'm going back to TX so I had to get cats anyway. After they're in if I still have to drive with a papersack on my head the m80s are next.