Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V3

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:56 PM
highline
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by chris09
i say build it as the money becomes available, not save up 20,000 then do it all at once...wheres the fun in that?
1st...Thank you more than words for being over there and doing what you do...THANKS.

2nd...see above quote...this
Old 08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

i say build it as the money becomes available, not save up 20,000 then do it all at once...wheres the fun in that?
We are not talking about a thousand dollars more for the intercooled vs non intercooled version. We are talking savings for your pocket after it was done
making it worth it.. We are not talking saving up for twice as long or anything. I think the savings vs the time most people would need to save would make it worth it.

We all have our opinions though.
It just depends on which you value more. The savings or getting it right now.
I say patience is a virtue.

Plus, again.. you could use the money you save from doing it all at once for another mod.
There's PLENTY of fun in that and a little more time saving would be worth it to me!

Not to mention not having to worry as much about heat soak while you have to save up even MORE money in the long run to add the intercooler later!

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 08-24-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:18 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Not sure if you considered other sc's but if you havent then you should. Im assuming the vortech interested you b/c its cheaper. I would get familiar with each application and the delivery of power. I always tell people to first read all u can when deciding. Dont let the money sway you either way. IF u can save 4000 then u can save 6000.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:40 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by highline
That response suprises me stealth...Didn't you start non ic'd? Also, living in the North Pole you were heat soaked or too frozen to start? I am going to go against the grain here (assuming the op is out of school, working and can "afford" any mishaps that happens with FI, including future mods) and say get it...specially from Brenspeed...they'll tune it right, and safe...Why wait until you can afford the IC...So it costs a touch more later...have fun now I say...Solar flares, epocolipse and the **** head in the civic that just cut you off/totalled the pony may come tomorrow...try to out run them...
I was surprised as well, but it sure did get heat soaked quickly during the summer. Winter I had to take it off due to it's BS issues (don't ask lol)

Trust me. It's only fun until things get hot. Even with a custom tune and 93 octane, it's fun is only temporary without some sort of much needed cooling system. I have the air to air now and I really should have went this route the first time around.. 10 psi and cool boost!

I can hot lap it and still run 12.7@110mph where as back when I had no intercooler, it would be 13.5@105mph.. imagine that
Old 08-24-2011, 08:03 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

but how much faster is 13.5@105 than stock CAI + Tune??? I've never been to the track, but I'd guess that even heat soaked and non IC'd the car would be much more fun than CAI + tune
Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Honestly, it's only fun when it's cool (without the intercooler).. once things get hot it'll still give you a little bit of boost but it's a very small amount if any.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:54 AM
highline
4th Gear Member

The other thread stated breenspeed's verbal quote (not actual numbers unfortunately) of 420 rwhp cold, 390 rwhp hot...this is GA hot...I'll look for the thread and link...That seems pretty acceptable...***I'm not FI, nor have I been in a FI car...this is just what "they" tell me + personal research***
Old 08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

it all depends on the octane gas used. 93 or higher, I'd believe those numbers.. that also is the same for a canned tune vs a custom dyno tune.

I am pretty much running a crap canned 90 octane tune (pretty much the worse combo rofl) as well as auto trans vs manual trans. Those factors make a significant difference..

I'd be lucky if it was 340-350whp when things got hot.. and those power numbers are very brief due to the centris "peak" power numbers (6500 rpm).

Was it faster than a CAI/tune.. well.. I'd rather have the V3 non-intercooled IF I really had no other choice or just have a CAI/tune...
Old 08-25-2011, 09:30 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Again man!

Save up and get the blower and intercooler at the same time.
Sure you may not be able to afford both right this minute but as stated before,
It WILL save you money in the long run! Do it smart man!

We waited on getting the GT500. Heck we wanted to trade up as soon as they came out but knew we would take a bad hit being as we
had so little of the 06 paid off. We waited until we were in the right situation. About FOUR years of waiting.
After a while we were'nt even going to trade in and kept modding the 06GT. We started looking again not thinking we would do it.
Passed up offers on the 06 because of the money we put into it. Then low and behold out of nowhere we found this one with incredibly low miles, THE RIGHT price,
and the price we needed on the 06 for trade in, in order to make it make sense on doing it.

If you save up for a while longer and do them both at the same time you will thank yourself later for saving expense in the long run.
Heck..you can use that extra cash later for more modding!

Point is this!!!!
PATIENCE PEOPLE! IT PAYS OFF IN THE LONG RUN!
WAAAAYY too many people get rushed to buy things RIGHT NOW and end up spending more money in the long run. I myself just DON'T understand it!
Unfortunately, I'm that guy. I sold my last mustang and bought a SUV. Five months later, I was bored at work looked at local ford store... drove it.... hooked.... bought it that day lol.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:32 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

i went no intercooled. and made 470. planing to go wortech front mount air to air. and more **** soon as im back from iraq. back in NC its prety toasty, and it does fine. you can feel a big difference on those colder nights. IAT's around 170 right now on a 85-90 degree day. i say do what you want. its yourmoney and your car. if you dont want to wait then dont. i say build it as the money becomes available, not save up 20,000 then do it all at once...wheres the fun in that?
HAHA true!