Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark plugs!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Don't worry yourself so much that it haunts your thoughts or anything man lol.
Just take your time, do your best, and hopefully everything turns out well!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:53 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

I used PB Blaster instead of what the TSB said to use. No issues either and I have about 6k on the plug change.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:11 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Many people say do NOT use a PB blaster. Things have happened more than a few times that I have heard of. I would NOT recommend it.

As for where to buy the plugs, I actually found mine at
the local OReilly's Auto Parts store.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:17 AM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
Many people say do NOT use a PB blaster. Things have happened more than a few times that I have heard of. I would NOT recommend it.

It's all about moderation, but to each their own.

My plugs cost me about $120 for 8 of them.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:16 AM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

I found them there too, but i'm sure as hell not buying them there for $20.xx a piece. So...not doing the plugs today as I had planned.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Ok so reading (actually, looking at) the diagram(s) on the Ford TSB say to crank the engine without the plugs in to clear out the combustion chamber. Any pros/cons to doing this? Never had to/heard of doing that on any other vehicles i've changed plugs on.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05SatinSilverGT
I found them there too, but i'm sure as hell not buying them there for $20.xx a piece. So...not doing the plugs today as I had planned.
The one piece plugs are not cheap no matter where you get them. Its still certainly a small price to pay to avoid the stock type from breaking off next time. If you want to stay with cheap plugs, the OE design will fit what you are willing to pay.

Ok so reading (actually, looking at) the diagram(s) on the Ford TSB say to crank the engine without the plugs in to clear out the combustion chamber. Any pros/cons to doing this? Never had to/heard of doing that on any other vehicles i've changed plugs on.
Since using a carbon "softener" is part of the removal process for THIS job, it is wise to assume that some of the fluid could make it down into the combustion chamber, as well as small carbon chunks. Cranking the engine without plugs will force all fluid and the majority of carbon chunks out of the engine to avoid damage at start up with new plugs in place. I'm certain that no other cars you have had, had spark plugs that have been the source of such troubles in the past.

Last edited by SCCAGT; 08-25-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SCCAGT
The one piece plugs are not cheap no matter where you get them. Its still certainly a small price to pay to avoid the stock type from breaking off next time. If you want to stay with cheap plugs, the OE design will fit what you are willing to pay.

Since using a carbon "softener" is part of the removal process for THIS job, it is wise to assume that some of the fluid could make it down into the combustion chamber, as well as small carbon chunks. Cranking the engine without plugs will force all fluid and the majority of carbon chunks out of the engine to avoid damage at start up with new plugs in place. I'm certain that no other cars you have had, had spark plugs that have been the source of such troubles in the past.
I was willing to spend a decent amount on some quality 1 pieces just not $20 worth a plug. Ironically the Napa across the street had them for $14/each so I went that route (roughly the same cost as them being $12/each online + shipping anyways). Actually my last vehicle was an '06 F-150, I just never had the "pleasure" of changing its plugs before it got traded in. Thanks for the help, should I disconnect the injectors before I crank it as well?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:50 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

I was willing to spend a decent amount on some quality 1 pieces just not $20 worth a plug. Ironically the Napa across the street had them for $14/each so I went that route (roughly the same cost as them being $12/each online + shipping anyways). Actually my last vehicle was an '06 F-150, I just never had the "pleasure" of changing its plugs before it got traded in. Thanks for the help, should I disconnect the injectors before I crank it as well?
Just pull the fuel pump fuse. And it only needs a few revolutions to clear everything out.