Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Spark plugs!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:19 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Default Spark plugs!

So after some searching (& just recently changing the plugs on my buddies car), i've decided to bite the bullet & change mine. I've gotten it down to the HT1s or the Champions 7989 (is that right?) but leaning towards Champion for the 1 piece design. My question is, who has the lowest prices on these plugs? I wish AM carried them but of course that's a no go. Thanks in advance!

Also car has 75xxx on it so wish me luck .
Old 08-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Forced Induction specialties

why not go with a set of ngk have always had better luck with these plugs
Old 08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
w2co

Be careful, with that many miles and if they've never been cracked, they may be seized to the head. There is a procedure on how to back them out slowly..1/4 turn then back , then 1/2 turn etc. etc. If one breaks off inside the head you'll have to take the head off the engine and bring it to be machined out! Way more PITA factor -
Ouch
Old 08-23-2011, 08:03 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by w2co
Be careful, with that many miles and if they've never been cracked, they may be seized to the head. There is a procedure on how to back them out slowly..1/4 turn then back , then 1/2 turn etc. etc. If one breaks off inside the head you'll have to take the head off the engine and bring it to be machined out! Way more PITA factor -
Ouch
Believe me, i'm well aware of the dangers (my last vehicle was an '06 F-150 lol). Hence the "wish me luck". I plan on taking my precious time, if worse comes to worst i'll just take our 2nd vehicle to work & spend 2-3 days on it. May be overkill but why chance it imo.

And about the NGKs, I haven't seen too many reviews for them on our GT's but i'll look into it. Still leaning towards the Champions though.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:08 PM
w2co

Yes good luck! Our 05 GT only has 29K so almost time for cracking here too, but 75K miles? Have they ever been cracked? Also it's best to put some anti-seize when installing the new ones, that will prevent this whole scenario. I've heard that Ford puts nothing at all on them thus the possible seizing..
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM
w2co

But then again Ford will tell you that you never need to change the automatic transmission fluid either.. Hogwash
Old 08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Forced Induction specialties

Let me know if you need a set mailed out to you
Old 08-23-2011, 08:26 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

All the best and good luck my friend!

After you get the plugs out
I'd put some anti seize on the Champions WHERE the TSB says to do it.
Make sure to pay attention to that part and don't put it on any other part of the plug. That way next go round not only will they not break because of the one piece design, but they will come out easier.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:37 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke
All the best and good luck my friend!

After you get the plugs out
I'd put some anti seize on the Champions WHERE the TSB says to do it.
Make sure to pay attention to that part and don't put it on any other part of the plug. That way next go round not only will they not break because of the one piece design, but they will come out easier.
Will do & ty, & everybody else for their help/suggestions. I'll post a post-update (is that sortof like a double negative? lol) once it's all said & done . Where is everybody buying their plugs from? I'm going to check locally tomorrow but if I can get them cheaper online that'd be awesome.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:40 PM
05SatinSilverGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by w2co
Yes good luck! Our 05 GT only has 29K so almost time for cracking here too, but 75K miles? Have they ever been cracked? Also it's best to put some anti-seize when installing the new ones, that will prevent this whole scenario. I've heard that Ford puts nothing at all on them thus the possible seizing..
As far as I know they have not, but i'm also not the original owner. Knowing my luck they've never been touched but I guess I won't know for sure until I take (or attempt to) take them out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spark plugs!