Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just installed OR X-Pipe, now the car is too loud. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 PM
xstangx

Default Just installed OR X-Pipe, now the car is too loud. Suggestions?

Hello,

I have an 05 GT with Stock Manifolds, Magnaflow Off-Road X-Pipe and Pypes Mid Muffler exhaust, but now she is too loud. My plan was the JBA Cat4Ward Shorty Headers for power and taking out the Pypes Mid-Muffler and putting on the standard Magnaflow Catback. I am looking for a good sound with really good power, but not too loud. So the full build will be JBA Cat4Ward Shorty Headers - Magnaflow Off-Road X-Pipe - Magnaflow Catback.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:13 PM
TylerT
1st Gear Member

I have the Magnaflow CatBack and it's not really loud at all up until at least 2k. I'm looking into getting an O/R X Pipe after my smog test (stupid California laws) and I'm hoping it will make her louder.

But the setup you have seems like it should sound pretty sick!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Put in high flow cats and if you do headers at all do long tubes. I have short headers, didn't get anything from them. I only put them in because I snapped 2 studs in my stock manifold taking the mid-pipe off.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
zinsavage123
1st Gear Member

get some form of mufflersit still sounds amazing imo.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM
xstangx

I am in California so I am keeping her street legal. The JBA Cat4Ward shorty headers are C.A.R.B legal, so that is why I am getting those. Long tube headers would be nice, but I don't want to change the headers every two years for a smog check. The only thing I will have to swap out is the X-Pipe to the stock H-Pipe, which is pretty easy. There is no point of getting Hi-Flow cats since they are illegal in CA as well, you have to have a record showing your stocks cats failed in a smog shop first. CA sucks for upgrading, but all well. Thanks fo the opinions and keep em coming!!!
Old 09-10-2011, 02:13 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xstangx
I am in California so I am keeping her street legal. The JBA Cat4Ward shorty headers are C.A.R.B legal, so that is why I am getting those. Long tube headers would be nice, but I don't want to change the headers every two years for a smog check. The only thing I will have to swap out is the X-Pipe to the stock H-Pipe, which is pretty easy. There is no point of getting Hi-Flow cats since they are illegal in CA as well, you have to have a record showing your stocks cats failed in a smog shop first. CA sucks for upgrading, but all well. Thanks fo the opinions and keep em coming!!!
Well if that's the case then save your money for something else. Short headers really just aren't worth the money.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Blkblton

Originally Posted by rdsx18
Put in high flow cats and if you do headers at all do long tubes. I have short headers, didn't get anything from them. I only put them in because I snapped 2 studs in my stock manifold taking the mid-pipe off.
That's how I got my longtubes.I drug my O/R x off and it broke the manifold stud.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:15 PM
rdsx18
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blkblton
That's how I got my longtubes.I drug my O/R x off and it broke the manifold stud.
Yup and I sure as hell was not going to spend hours under there drilling that hardened steel stud out. Only reason I got the shorties is because I didn't want to have to send my midpipe back, and I didn't want to take out the stock ones and bring them to a shop to drill out the studs and press in new ones. Figured it would be quicker to get new headers.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xstangx
Hello,

I have an 05 GT with Stock Manifolds, Magnaflow Off-Road X-Pipe and Pypes Mid Muffler exhaust, but now she is too loud. My plan was the JBA Cat4Ward Shorty Headers for power and taking out the Pypes Mid-Muffler and putting on the standard Magnaflow Catback. I am looking for a good sound with really good power, but not too loud. So the full build will be JBA Cat4Ward Shorty Headers - Magnaflow Off-Road X-Pipe - Magnaflow Catback.
I have a UPR off road x-pipe on my '06 GT with GT500 mufflers and I think it sounds good. It certainly isn't too loud.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

What would the best set up be for a deep throaty aggressive exhaust note at all RPM's when mated with a Kenne Bell supercharger both X Pipes and Headers, when paired with a Cervini side exhaust system?

Quick Reply: Just installed OR X-Pipe, now the car is too loud. Suggestions?