Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Going for a custom turbo build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 09:08 AM
NuclearMuscle523
SCAM ALERT! This person is known around the internet for ripping people off. You've been warned.

Default Going for a custom turbo build.

I would like to use this thread as a stockpile for all info needed to custom turbo a 2008.5-2010 3v. At this point in time, I don't really know all the facts, but I do know the basics. I already have a cxracing 4" air-to-air from when I had my v6 procharged.
I will be basing the system from a single turbo, and I will tune the car to about 400-425hp, depending on what you guys think I should safely operate at. I drive the car hard almost daily.
Turbo is an ebay gt45: Should be reliable? If the turbo turns out to be crappy, I'll just replace it again, it's cheap.
I will be spending a good amount of money on an external wastegate since it is the most important piece.
What should I do to my fuel pump? I figured I could do the fpdm wiring mod. Boost-a-pump and that's it?
Smallest injectors I can use?
What can I use for the header? Should I just reverse it and point it forward? Or bring a pipe forward from under the engine?
How do I find out the oil orifice for the gt45?
What's the best way to construct the hot a cold piping without breaking the bank?
More questions later, thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by NuclearMuscle523; 09-12-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by NuclearMuscle523
I would like to use this thread as a stockpile for all info needed to custom turbo a 2008.5-2010 3v. At this point in time, I don't really know all the facts, but I do know the basics. I already have a cxracing 4" air-to-air from when I had my v6 procharged.
I will be basing the system from a single turbo, and I will tune the car to about 400-425hp, depending on what you guys think I should safely operate at. I drive the car hard almost daily.
Turbo is an ebay gt45: Should be reliable? If the turbo turns out to be crappy, I'll just replace it again, it's cheap.
I will be spending a good amount of money on an external wastegate since it is the most important piece.
What should I do to my fuel pump? I figured I could do the fpdm wiring mod. Boost-a-pump and that's it?
Smallest injectors I can use?
What can I use for the header? Should I just reverse it and point it forward? Or bring a pipe forward from under the engine?
How do I find out the oil orifice for the gt45?
What's the best way to construct the hot a cold piping without breaking the bank?
More questions later, thanks in advance guys.
Learn how to weld.
Leave the stock manifolds in as they are.
Get a tial wastegate and Raptor BOV
Check the rating of the intercooler you have.
38 psi injectors
Kenne Bell BAP
Custom tuning.

Tuning is a pain in the *** with turbos in our cars. Find a good tuner.

I have had a turbo and a twin screw blower. I prefer the latter for street strip applications. Less hassle, easy to tune and install.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:14 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

I'll be watching this thread with interest.

(Simon, so you'd rather have a TS than turbo? Why is it so much more of an issue? I was thinking of going the other way, to a turbo, or twin turbo, setup, instead.)