Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FINALLY: Time to SUPERCHARGE my GT-CS! Kenne Bell Mammoth!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow FINALLY: Time to SUPERCHARGE my GT-CS! Kenne Bell Mammoth!!

Hi everyone,

Well it happened faster than I thought... after only owning my GT-CS for a couple of months, I was able to save up and I am ready to charge the beast!

I believe I am either going with the Stage-2 (throttle bottle + supercharger and intercooler) or the mac daddy "Mammoth" from Kenne Bell.

My questions are...
- What are the main differences (YES, I have read the site, many times, top to bottom, but the price difference isn't huge, and the Mammoth claims HP ratings of up to 800+, which I only want to be 550-600 to the WHEELS)
- Do I need an electric water pump?
- Should I go with X-Pipes and Shortie Headers (and if so, WHAT KINDS)?
- What other engine mods do I NEED in order to SAFELY hit 550-600RWHP without over-taxing the 4.6L?

Any other advice would be VERY welcomed. I am doing the side exhaust system from Cervinis as well, and want the pipes to be deep, loud, and powerful sounding, BUT NOT OBNOXIOUS to where they attract police or totally disturb the neighbors in a BAD WAY, so no muffler delete - just throaty aggressive super deep pipes)!

THANKS SO MUCH, I AM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!
Old 09-12-2011, 11:30 PM
lazyboy31614@aol.com
2nd Gear Member

If you want 550-600 rwhp you will need to forge the internals of the motor.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:34 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by lazyboy31614@aol.com
If you want 550-600 rwhp you will need to forge the internals of the motor.
No one who I've spoken with on the phones or emailed from both the install and dyno tuning approved shop for Kenne Bell, or the rep at Kenne Bell himself mentioned that. The Stage-1 system which is the most mild will result in 425 horsepower with zero engine mods of ANY kind, so I assumed a mere 70 horsepower over that with an intercooler, water pump, headers, x-pipes, exhaust, and the Stage-2 or Mammoth supercharger from them with upgraded throttle body would be able to make that adjustment with a pound or two of additional boost?

Let me know your thoughts, as up till now, I didn't think 500RWHP was much of a jump from the stock V8 output with the 4.6L, so now I'm intrigued. Thanks!

PS: Went back to their site and read top-to-bottom... they even use the verbiage "100% stock spec engine... no cams, headers, etc" right beside each Supercharger options (Stage-1, Stage-2, or Mammoth)... see here on their website for Kenne Bell: http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...%285-10%29.htm

Last edited by MAXIMUS-GT; 09-12-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:41 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

Go with the 2.6lc Kenne Bell system. You will need a new short block with forged internals and under 9:1 compression to go any higher in hp. You are getting into a $12k mod going over 500rwhp in my opinion.

The stock 3v bottom end handles 500 rwhp max. I am tuned at 481 rwhp and 415 ft lbs tq.

A tuner that is honest will tell you this.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:46 PM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow

Originally Posted by hollywub
Go with the 2.6lc Kenne Bell system. You will need a new short block with forged internals and under 9:1 compression to go any higher in hp. You are getting into a $12k mod going over 500rwhp in my opinion.

The stock 3v bottom end handles 500 rwhp max. I am tuned at 481 rwhp and 415 ft lbs tq.

A tuner that is honest will tell you this.
THANK YOU!!! I am also copying your post from the other thread below so I have it as a resource when visiting my tuning location, awesome info.

ALL STAGE-2 4.6L MUSTANG GT KENNE BELL SUPERCHARGER INFO AND DYNO TESTS ON STOCK ENGINES: http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...%285-10%29.htm

PRICING ON STAGE-2 KENNE BELL SUPERCHARGER SYSTEM WITH THROTTLE BODY AND INTERCOOLER: http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/P.../PriceList.pdf It's $6,299 with Tune included and throttle body upgrade

I have 49k miles on mine with Kenne Bell 2.6lc with 10 lbs.

Keep the tune at 6200 to 6500 rpms, 6200 to be safe. I run mine at 6500.

Get a shift light. Change the oil. Make sure you always have enough fuel.

Run HT0 autolites.

My WOT short term fuel trim is .78 at 6500 rpms.

Kenne Bell setup comes with a fuel pump booster too.

Have fun with it.
PS: What octane should I use once the Stage-2 Supercharger and throttle body/intercooler is all installed?

Also, can you please suggest an awesome combination of H and X pipes with headers (shorty or long, and why) for super aggressive and deep throaty sound from my GT when paired with the Cervini side exhaust kit? Lastly... thoughts on an electric water pump?

Last edited by MAXIMUS-GT; 09-12-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:54 PM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

I have SLP long tube headers, Pypes X pypes and Flowmaster Hushpowers. It sounds incredible. Crisp.

Get the Stage 2. 93 octane.

You will not want to stop driving for a week.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:01 AM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

Arrow

I have SLP long tube headers, Pypes X pypes and Flowmaster Hushpowers. It sounds incredible. Crisp.

Get the Stage 2. 93 octane.

You will not want to stop driving for a week.
It's almost 1am where I live, and your post has me giggling like a 7th grade girl with her first crush on a boy during a sleepover. I'm pondering the possibilities of slashing my savings account as soon as possible to bolt this beast on before winter sets in, because it's always been my dream, for so many years, to drive through the cool autumn air, with the supercharger sucking in air and pushing it out through a sick set of dual exhausts.

I think I'm also going to switch everything over to AMSoil after the install, and as you suggested, only use 93 Premium fuel.

If you are still awake, would you mind please explaining the difference between X and H pipes, and short and long tube headers? Also, is Cervini my only choice when it comes to installing those amazing looking side exhausts and the custom side-skirts to match?

What I'm buying: Kenne Bell Stage-2 Intercooled System, TS-1000-05-IN2C $6,299 (*Is there any way to buy this from a vendor or tuning shop and get it for any type of discount, even a small one?)

Last edited by MAXIMUS-GT; 09-13-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:10 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

I have never setup a car with side pipes... I run the stock water pump setup.

I changed over to Royal Purple products for my anti-freeze additive, engine oil, tranny oil and rear-end oil.

You guys are gonna get snow soon, you better hurry!
Old 09-13-2011, 12:15 AM
MAXIMUS-GT
2nd Gear Member

I have never setup a car with side pipes... I run the stock water pump setup.

I changed over to Royal Purple products for my anti-freeze additive, engine oil, tranny oil and rear-end oil.

You guys are gonna get snow soon, you better hurry!
My birthday is mid-November... the apex of Fall, although it is HIGHLY possible snow will have already fallen a couple times by then for sure. I just want to make this all happen so I have a good solid MONTH of driving heaven before covering it up and storing it for the season until March of next year.

Thanks so much for your help, seriously, it was very informative. I'm ready to go, and I just reviewed my emails from Kenne Bell, and the representative was honest and told me the stock read will only handle 490-500 MAX horsepower no matter what, so that puts me at ease. Also, I'm NOT going for the electric water pump, it doesn't cool as well as the stock pump from what I'm told, and it's a big cost.

The only thing I'm going to do other than the supercharger kit before winter, is the exhaust. Would I be better off buying an exhaust 'system' all at once, with long tube headers like yours opposed to shorties? Here is something I found over on American Muscle: http://www.americanmuscle.com/kooks-...509manual.html But I believe those are shorties. Hmmmmm... Summit Racing perhaps? Where would you recommend?
Old 09-13-2011, 12:31 AM
hollywub
2nd Gear Member

I used CJ Pony Parts and American Muscle because of there no ground shipping charges. I have used LM Performance as well.

Kenne Bell says that the exhaust mods yield no gains. I can not attest to that statement as my car had everything done at once.

I would do the supercharger first. Dyno it. If it is around 470 rwhp, you are in the zone. Then add on mufflers, then shorties or long tubes.

Ask the guys at Kenne Bell about the exhaust too.

Quick Reply: FINALLY: Time to SUPERCHARGE my GT-CS! Kenne Bell Mammoth!!