Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

EBC brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 12:09 PM
Mach_1_II

Default EBC brakes?

I have been looking into a few different EBC brake upgrades for my 05 GT, and I was wondering if anyone else here has any EBC pads and rotors on their car and can offer any advice on which combination would work best for my car. I daily drive my Mustang.

I was looking into the 3DG Drilled and Slotted or the USR Slotted rotors paired with either the Red Stuff Street pads or the Yellow Stuff Race/Street pads. From what I've read so far, the 3GD rotors have wider slots for better cooling and the Red Stuff are a low dust formula that have fairly good performance under cold braking conditions. The only downside is the Red pads take almost 1500 miles to break themselves in. In contrast the Yellow Stuff seem like a better all around pad, but they produce a lot of dust to get the job done. It also looks like they last a bit longer. So it's really a toss up.

Any advice?
Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

I have yellowstuff pads on my F-150 and so far they're great. No noise and they stop great. I also feel better towing things as they're more heat resistant than your run of the mill pads. Are they better than similar offerings from other companies like Hawk? I don't know, but I'm happy with mine.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Mach_1_II

Originally Posted by parchisi
I have yellowstuff pads on my F-150 and so far they're great. No noise and they stop great. I also feel better towing things as they're more heat resistant than your run of the mill pads. Are they better than similar offerings from other companies like Hawk? I don't know, but I'm happy with mine.
Thanks for the quick reply. The one thing they mention with the Yellow Stuff is brake dust. Have you noticed a lot of it? Not that dust would matter a whole lot, since I wash my car ever two weeks at the most.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:30 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Haven't noticed increased dust, but my truck is usually dirty and the wheel openings aren't very large.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:38 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

I have the GD slotted and dimpled rotors with the red pads. Very happy that I got them. Bought through amazon.com and got free shipping. The rotors are heavy so free shipping is a great thing. Break in is kinda long but its not like you notice anything wrong during the break in. Total cost was under $600 or so and worth it IMO. I would never go with those ebay slotted and drilled rotors.....pure garbage IMO......you get what you pay for.
No dust whatsoever.
Attached Thumbnails EBC brakes?-img_20110319_182656-1-.jpg   EBC brakes?-img_20110319_094110-1-.jpg  
Old 09-17-2011, 12:59 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

I've been running EBC Yellowstuff pads on the rear of my 2011 GT for track days, matched with Pagid RS19 Yellow full race endurance pads up front in the Brembo's. The EBC's work well, they're lasting surprisingly well, and while they do make a lot of dust, it's the easiest dust I've ever seen when it comes to cleaning it off. Overall, a good upgraded pad.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:43 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

I've been using EBC brakes for years. I used the 3GD rotors but took them off because I couldn't stand the noise they make, not during braking but constantly. I'm now using their USR rotors now and I'm much happier.
I've used EBC Redstuff pads and they are very low dust just as advertised. I'm now using the EBC Yellowstuff pads and I feel they grip harder and fade less than the Reds. They dust about like OE but the dust is easy to clean off like mentioned above.
Both Reds and Yellows are real dusty until the break in coating wears off btw.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:50 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

FYI, I dont hear any of the noise associated with slotted rotors.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Mach_1_II

Originally Posted by 808muscle
Which ones do you have though, the 3dg or the Usr?

Thanks for all the input. You guys are pretty much verifying what I thought. I'm probably going to end up going with the 3DG Rotors paired with Red Stuff pads, mostly because I can buy them for a discount through my work for $523.20 front and rear. I might upgrade the Yellow Stuff later on if I don't feel the Red Stuff is grippy enough, but since I don't plan on tracking it any time soon, I don't think it will be an issue.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:32 PM
NJ3
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 808muscle
"Pypes LT's/H-Pipe, Cherry bombs, M/80's, Flowmaster AT and still loud as a MFr!"
I imagine you wouldn't.

Quick Reply: EBC brakes?