Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What's the best exhaust to pair up with an X pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Default What's the best exhaust to pair up with an X pipe?

Hey everyone, I'm new here but not always real big on introductions...I like to just jump in and start asking stuff

I have an '05 GT that I've had MBRP axle backs on for about 3 months. I mainly bought them because I loved MBRP's double wall tips, but I also really liked the sound with the stock H pipe.

I just recently got an awesome deal on a used Magnaflow catted X so I threw that on last weekend.

The car sounds great, except that A) I don't like the added drone I have around 2000 RPM, and B) I feel like I don't have that nice "growl" that I've heard on other X-pipe equipped vehicles.

I've been thinking about adding a couple Magnaflows amidships to help with the drone, but then I started thinking additionally about the axle back- and I wondered if I might get a better sound with the mid mufflers and a change to something like Boom Tubes, Pype Bombs or SSS Terminators? I'm not a fan of the chinese stuff but it seems like nobody else offers much that is all that similar, and I don't like that SLP's are only 3.5" tips.

Anyway tell me what you think, also curious if anyone else has run something similar.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

MBRP makes quality stuff. I have their deletes along with M80's midmounted, LT's and o/r x pipe.
and it sounds great.
the mufflers you have now are straight thru, correct?
midmufflers, boomtubes, or SSS terminators will be louder than what you have now, but i'm not sure if it will improve on the drone.
it might drown out the drone with more volume.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:57 PM
balls8302
1st Gear Member

i added the catted magnaflow x pipe earlier this year, and actually made this video today. mid mounted pypes m80's. cold start and yes i know the exhaust is hanging underneath, have some hangers to replace...here's vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OV3w7fPhUr0
Old 10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

balls8302, your car sounds great! THat's the kind of sound I'd like except proably not that loud.

onederful I was talking about possibly doing said axle backs WITH the mid-mounted mufflers. Of course I will try the mid mufflers with the MBRP's first, and that might give me the sound I want.

Also yes the MBRP's are straight through, spiral louvered core (though not as many louvers as most mufflers). They are nice quality and I got em for $330, can't argue with that
Old 10-06-2011, 06:22 AM
CATNHAT

8302 sounds nice! Nice growl and car looks good!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Man maybe I don't give my car enough credit...just shot this tonight:
http://youtu.be/GciP6tvp-B4

Hearing it from the outside it sounds really nice, guess I don't get as much of that sound from the inside. I think I will still mount a couple mid-mounted Magnaflows (ordered them today) and go from there.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

You know what would make that sound REALLY good?
Some Cams!
Old 10-07-2011, 08:37 AM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Eh maybe someday, not yet. Hell I've only had the car 3 months!

BTW- is there no edit post button here?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:19 PM
CATNHAT

Originally Posted by ghunt
Man maybe I don't give my car enough credit...just shot this tonight:
http://youtu.be/GciP6tvp-B4

Hearing it from the outside it sounds really nice, guess I don't get as much of that sound from the inside. I think I will still mount a couple mid-mounted Magnaflows (ordered them today) and go from there.
Leave it. Sounds prety damn good!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

I guess I'll throw my car into the mix. My '06 GT has a UPR CAI, UPR off-road x-pipe, and GT500 mufflers.

http://youtu.be/qUz3IhQ1fF8

Quick Reply: What's the best exhaust to pair up with an X pipe?