Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Boss 302 or modify existing 11 GT brembo

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Radiater

Default Boss 302 or modify existing 11 GT brembo

First off i really like my car, Ford did it right imo.

Got to drive a friends 12 Boss...wow!!! what a great car.

So now I can't decide...trade my car and get a boss or modify my car to make it handle better..and maybe a tune.

I like the external appearance on my car better but like the perf of the BOSS better.

i don't track currently but may in the future

Appreciate any input.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM
Radiater

Forgot to mention, my car is more a fun car, not a daily driver but I like the Nav package and bluetooth. Also like the stealth mode of my car...ie it doesn't draw a lot of unnecessary attention from cops, and parking lot stares, etc.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Do what you can afford. That's really what it boils down to. If you can afford to get the BOSS, then upgrade. If you have to question cost effectiveness in the choice, then you're not ready for that amount of spending.

Also if you're going to track the car, consider the huge cost of replacing BOSS parts/engine compared to the cheaper 5.0.

Now where's my popcorn because the arguing is about to get silly just like in all the other "this or that and why" threads. lol

Last edited by Ricardo; 10-09-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:21 AM
09blkgtcal
2nd Gear Member

Agree with Ricardo get the boss if you can afford it. After upgrading my suspension and trying different parts I decided that I will always purchase the best handling model when buying a sports car
Old 10-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Radiater

There is so much I like about my current car, but driving that Boss was a bit intoxicating and while parts for it won't be cheap it is made for some hard use.

I am reluctant to modify a car from the standpoint that it always seems easier to screw something up than to get it right. Boss was not yet out and still somewhat of a rumor when I bought my car or it would have been a consideration.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:21 PM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

I may be the odd man out, but I say mod your existing ride. If you like the NAV and other nice features (I know I do), then just keep them. The BOSS may be faster, but in reality, unless you are tracking the car, does it really matter?

Also, you can mod your car to embarrass a BOSS for a lot less money than it will take to trade in on one.

Last edited by FastDEW; 10-10-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Mod the GT. You can make it easily surpass the performance of the BOSS, and you won't lose sleep over modding and putting miles on a collectible car. Plus, in keeping your GT, you won't suffer the depreciation loss on the sale.

If you want to start by improving the handling of your GT, I can help you with that.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:23 PM
Radiater

I didn't realize it would be all that easy.

Where would you guys start to get better handling performance and hp? I am staying naturally aspirated.

Specific recommendations appreciated.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:05 PM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Radiater
I didn't realize it would be all that easy.

Where would you guys start to get better handling performance and hp? I am staying naturally aspirated.

Specific recommendations appreciated.
Shocks, Springs, sway bars, wheels and tires, caster/camber plates, watts link, LCA relocation brackets, adjustable UCA and mount, LCAs, 1pc. Driveshaft, and if you REALLY want to get extreme, K-Member and front A-arms.

Specifically:
-Koni Sports shocks/struts
-Steeda Sports Springs
-Strano Adjustable Sway bars and competition endlinks
-BMR UCA and Mount
-BMR LCA relocation Brackets
-BMR LCAs
-Fays2 Watts Link
-Maximum Motorsport Caster/Camber plates or the Ground Control caster/camber plates or Steeda HD mounts.
-BMR K-Member with adjustable A-Arms
-BMR Subframe connectors
-Your choice of lightweight 18" wheel (I personally would go with 18x9.5s)
-Your choice of quality grippy rubber (Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star specs in 275/35/18 on all 4's for me)

I'd then focus on some aeromods. New front splitter (You have the luxury of using the Boss302 splitter) and a new rear spoiler.

Heck, for the price difference between the base GT and the Boss 302 you could almost do the entire Griggs Street GR40 set up (~$10k) and would run circles around the Boss 302.

As for power, you have all of it you could need in the new 5.0 for a track. If you have more grip than power then I could see adding some power.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I would keep the "11" and modify the suspension and add a supercharger....I would have a much more enjoyable driving experience in a modified GT....you will run circles around the Boss. If you went with the Boss you would have a great car also....IMHO

Last edited by daredevil95; 10-10-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Boss 302 or modify existing 11 GT brembo