Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My 2011 Mustang Wrecked in 7 car pile-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by austin101385
Just got off the phone with the adjuster and they said for it to be considered "totaled" the damage would have to total to 75% of the car's worth. That's a lot of money...I'm not sure if they can find $20,000 worth of damage, but then again it's a body shop and they are expensive.
Not necessarily true (75%). If the subframe is damaged (Bent) that is a safety hazard (future wrecks the car won't crumple as expected) and they will total it based on that. That's because of unibody construction.

Have the car looked at by a frame expert. Guarantee the front has frame damage given by the way the hood crumpled.

Case in point. 2005 Hydai sonoata rearended my wife. My wife only had $600 bucks worth of damage to her Ford Escape (bumper replaced). The sonota had way less damage than you but the hood was crumpled like yours from going under her Escape. Damage to hyundai was around $3,300 but the frame was bent. Car was totaled. I've also been told teh same from my insurance with other accidents in the past. Frame bent on Unibody car = totaled.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:34 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

This is terrible.. and caused by someone who shouldn't have even been in the country. You should get the insurance company to send the bill to congress and take a piece out of all their paychecks. Anyway I hope they total it and you can start with a fresh 5.0, good luck.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:00 PM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by legendlime05
jeez iron you day is going peachy isnt it sunshine?
This is everyday.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 PM
legendlime05
4th Gear Member

you truly make me "green" with envy over your daily life my friend.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 PM
austin101385
1st Gear Member

I went and talked to the owner of the body shop today. He is big into muscle car restoration and talked to me about the damages. He said that both the front and back parts were hit in the "soft" spots and that the suspension and frame looked fine. He still is waiting on the adjuster before he starts to take it apart and get the official quote. I threw out the idea of upgrading some body parts if it is not totaled and he was all about that.

Right now, I'm going for a CS rear valance and Roush front bumper. I'm planning on keeping my stock grille and fogs with the roush foglights and having them wired separate with their own harness. I'm sticking with the stock hood for now because I can't find any others that I'm in love with. I'm not crazy about the huge scoops on most of the aftermarket hoods (they look too bulky and fake) and was never into the ram hoods. I like the saleen hood with the molded hood scoop, but it's too expensive for my taste.

Any suggestions and pictures would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 PM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by austin101385
I went and talked to the owner of the body shop today. He is big into muscle car restoration and talked to me about the damages. He said that both the front and back parts were hit in the "soft" spots and that the suspension and frame looked fine. He still is waiting on the adjuster before he starts to take it apart and get the official quote. I threw out the idea of upgrading some body parts if it is not totaled and he was all about that.

Right now, I'm going for a CS rear valance and Roush front bumper. I'm planning on keeping my stock grille and fogs with the roush foglights and having them wired separate with their own harness. I'm sticking with the stock hood for now because I can't find any others that I'm in love with. I'm not crazy about the huge scoops on most of the aftermarket hoods (they look too bulky and fake) and was never into the ram hoods. I like the saleen hood with the molded hood scoop, but it's too expensive for my taste.

Any suggestions and pictures would be appreciated.
the Roush lights will come with a harness with a switch, it won't let you run both fogs at the same time, which is why I dumped my stock grille for a billet set up, helped clean up the front end. too many lights can make take away the smooth look .
Old 10-13-2011, 11:02 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

How about a ZR1 style hood....show off that 5.0? I don't know if I would install it but, I just noticed it and figured it looked different:

Old 10-13-2011, 11:22 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Austin, that same kind of accident happened to me before too. Good luck with whatever happens. If they dont total your car at least your bodyshop guy sounds like he cares. Good luck man, keep us informed.
Do you attend USC? I graduated there back in ... 1987. Jesus that was a long time ago. LOL
Old 10-14-2011, 08:28 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Maybe get a second opinion on the frame from a shop that has no vested interest in repairing it. Totaled, they get nothing. Almost totaled they get a few k in labor. Just saying.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Won't be totaled.
The car's too new with no major body structure to compromise its integrity.

Also, doesn't matter if the shop has high rates in labor or not, they will have to comply with the insurance quote.

Quick Reply: My 2011 Mustang Wrecked in 7 car pile-up