Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Going to buy a Mustang 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 01:46 AM
B.A.Q

Default Going to buy a Mustang 5.0

Ok so I drove the GT today and really enjoyed it. a lil bit less equiped than the 370z but I think I'm selling my car soon as I find a buyer. it has abetter lunch a guess or maybe I'm not used to that torque as I guess I would have abetter 60 ft with my Z
What is the average 1/4 in the 5.0?
any guys that track the car and what cars can they compete with?

could someone tell me what should I watch out for before buying one. the non-sport Z for example will have an open diff!! is there something like that in any models? Is there sport brakes?

I don't trust dealers, so is there common problems people having with this car, or something people complaining about for example all 370 owners with manual tranny complain about the notchy shifting!! which obviously don't exist in the Mustang loved the short shifter I though it was stuck for a moment lol
Old 10-12-2011, 02:58 AM
Gregflores95gt

Well some people have actually had problems with the manual transmissions in the new GT's
But I would suggest a good short throw shifter for the GT and you'll be fine
Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 AM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

At our local drag strip I've seen guys go 12.50's ~ 12.60's stock, M6 w/3.73's.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:11 AM
B.A.Q

Originally Posted by Gregflores95gt
Well some people have actually had problems with the manual transmissions in the new GT's
But I would suggest a good short throw shifter for the GT and you'll be fine
what kind of problems?
I thought it had a short shifter from the factory at least that what I drove today.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:13 AM
B.A.Q

Originally Posted by Templar
At our local drag strip I've seen guys go 12.50's ~ 12.60's stock, M6 w/3.73's.
what about the track?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

there is a decent amount of members that have been having problems with the 5.0's 6 speed manual MT82 transmission. Some people have had problems with the 1-2 shift, some people wit hthe 2-3 shift. Dont let that scare you though, because you hear about something alot on the forums dosnt mean all of the other thousands of of 5.0 drivers that arent forum users are having problems. I have also read that there is an investigation going on with these transmissions and we may see a TSB/recall in the near future.

List of 5.0 1/4 times:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/stre...ile-times.html

There have been a few people that have blow a piston ring on cylinder #8, after modding their cars with Cold Air Intake and a tune. People have come up with different reasons that could be causing this to happen. Remember this has only been on MODDED cars as far as I've heard not any stock vehicles. Because of this happeneing one of our site sponsors, American Muscle has decided to warranty thier tunes if you buy a tuner and run their tunes, you can find the thread with more info here:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-warranty.html

To answer your other question about brakes, Brembo brakes are an option on 2011-12 GT's. Its a $1600 option from the factory and includes 19 inch wheels.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:30 AM
z28th1s
2nd Gear Member

They are fun cars and will do well at the drag strip as well as the open track!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
B.A.Q

Some people get upset when other cars owner mention the positives on their forum but sorry guys I'm just trying to compare so I can see if it's worth the time and money to change my car. I just drove the car yesterday I loved it but everybody is keep screaming to my face it has a bad quality so I just want to find out from the car owners

Originally Posted by Maraman
there is a decent amount of members that have been having problems with the 5.0's 6 speed manual MT82 transmission. Some people have had problems with the 1-2 shift, some people wit hthe 2-3 shift. Dont let that scare you though, because you hear about something alot on the forums dosnt mean all of the other thousands of of 5.0 drivers that arent forum users are having problems. I have also read that there is an investigation going on with these transmissions and we may see a TSB/recall in the near future.

List of 5.0 1/4 times:

https://mustangforums.com/forum/stre...ile-times.html

There have been a few people that have blow a piston ring on cylinder #8, after modding their cars with Cold Air Intake and a tune. People have come up with different reasons that could be causing this to happen. Remember this has only been on MODDED cars as far as I've heard not any stock vehicles. Because of this happeneing one of our site sponsors, American Muscle has decided to warranty thier tunes if you buy a tuner and run their tunes, you can find the thread with more info here:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...-warranty.html

To answer your other question about brakes, Brembo brakes are an option on 2011-12 GT's. Its a $1600 option from the factory and includes 19 inch wheels.
I think you can consider forum members as average. For example some Zs had a lurch in 1st gear some in the forum do other don't so I will generalize on the car from this forum. Is the problems like grindings and it resist speed shifting or it won't shift at all? is there any other problems with the powertrain?
this makes me kinda hesitated as one of the reasons I was planning on trading is that my kidney won't cover the FI cost in the meantime lol. But is seems that it doesn't have solid block I never thought an NA would have such problems. What is the average cost to build the block I think it should be much more affordable than the Z.

How much is the Bama tune? any good tuners and shops in AZ?
I cannot afford a new one I found couple used ones with a good price and mileage here in AZ and some close in Cali. any other options for the brakes, I'm more into tracking the car than drag racing.

Originally Posted by z28th1s
They are fun cars and will do well at the drag strip as well as the open track!
Do you know numbers for specific courses so I can compare other cars with.
It did pretty good in MotorTrend against the M3 but the M3 as they claim has a better suspension that was helped sharp corners, but I guess I can buy coilovers and sway bars that should really improve the driving
Old 10-12-2011, 03:53 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Meh, I bet those who break engines on a new 5.0 are the jerks who do burnouts and drag race launches in traffic as soon as they leave the dealership.

My '07 GT with 4.10s and the normal exaust/intake/tune with probably and maybe on a perfect day a little over 300 something HP at the flywheel outruns my uncle's 370Z with intake/exahust/tune at any speed. Over and over and over again.

Imagine what the 5.0 will do.

Just saying.

Edit: Oh yeah almost forgot...the Mustang handles far better than people think with a few simple mods...A 2008 Shelby GT outperformed a few supercars on a track with a few mods and one great driver mod. See link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PsR9xeXwBw

Last edited by Ricardo; 10-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by B.A.Q
Some people get upset when other cars owner mention the positives on their forum but sorry guys I'm just trying to compare so I can see if it's worth the time and money to change my car. I just drove the car yesterday I loved it but everybody is keep screaming to my face it has a bad quality so I just want to find out from the car owners

I think you can consider forum members as average. For example some Zs had a lurch in 1st gear some in the forum do other don't so I will generalize on the car from this forum. Is the problems like grindings and it resist speed shifting or it won't shift at all? is there any other problems with the powertrain?
this makes me kinda hesitated as one of the reasons I was planning on trading is that my kidney won't cover the FI cost in the meantime lol. But is seems that it doesn't have solid block I never thought an NA would have such problems. What is the average cost to build the block I think it should be much more affordable than the Z.

How much is the Bama tune? any good tuners and shops in AZ?
I cannot afford a new one I found couple used ones with a good price and mileage here in AZ and some close in Cali. any other options for the brakes, I'm more into tracking the car than drag racing.

Do you know numbers for specific courses so I can compare other cars with.
It did pretty good in MotorTrend against the M3 but the M3 as they claim has a better suspension that was helped sharp corners, but I guess I can buy coilovers and sway bars that should really improve the driving
If you want a straight track car get a Boss 302, its what they were designed for. Do some research on them, come with a built block along with all of the suspension and brake work that your heart can desire right from the factory.

Estimating building the block on a 5.0, depending what you want 2-4k+. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Tuning for these cars is done via a handheld tuner, plug in right below the steering wheel. If you buy a tuner from American Muscle they will give you free Bama Tune for life. just call, or email them when you add new mods or if you want different timing, etc. and they will hook you up. They also offer them in a combo with Cold Air Intake:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/x3-cus...er-2011gt.html

As far as your other comment about considering forum users as average, thats not necessarily true. Lets say Ford sold 8,000 total 5.0 GT Mustangs in 2011, of these 8,000 sold how many of these owners do you think are going to go home and actively register and use the forums to explain problems they are having with them. I'm guessing less than 5% which is around 400. lets say of those 400 5% of them have problems with their cars. Well just because of the 5% of the forum population is having problems it wouldn't be accurate to assume that of the other 7600 owners that are not forums users are having an equal amount of problems with their cars.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a Mustang 5.0