Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help I can't fill my tank

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Misty05

Default Help I can't fill my tank

Hi there I bought a beautiful 05 GT a couple months ago. The problem I'm having is that when I'm near empty and I head to the gas station I can only pump about 5 gallons before it shuts off. I then have to lightly squeeze the gas pump like I'm topping off for about 10 minutes before I can fill up. I have records from the previous owner. He took the car to the Ford dealership for this a few years ago when it was an intermittent problem. The dealer told him they couldn't duplicate the issue at that time and that it was most likely an issue at a specific gas station. Well, It hasn't been intermittent for me. It's every time now. Any ideas on what might cause this or what my options are? Thanks
Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

I have that prob at certain stations. I only go to three stations that all work and keep a low price per gallon. That's my recommendation
Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
DarthV8

I've had this exact same problem. Good news is, it's an easy fix. Next time this happens reach from your wheel well to the gas line that goes into the gas tank, give it a few taps/knocks and you should be good
Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

theres a TSB about it, basically says your SOL.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:29 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ironh19
theres a TSB about it, basically says your SOL.
TSB is Fords way of telling you to go F yourself, from the way I understand it.

I think I may have had this once - then again I may have been in a hurry (Mustangs are great for that haha) and done something with the gas pump wrong.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:48 PM
Mustang Enthusiast
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misty05
Hi there I bought a beautiful 05 GT a couple months ago. The problem I'm having is that when I'm near empty and I head to the gas station I can only pump about 5 gallons before it shuts off. I then have to lightly squeeze the gas pump like I'm topping off for about 10 minutes before I can fill up. I have records from the previous owner. He took the car to the Ford dealership for this a few years ago when it was an intermittent problem. The dealer told him they couldn't duplicate the issue at that time and that it was most likely an issue at a specific gas station. Well, It hasn't been intermittent for me. It's every time now. Any ideas on what might cause this or what my options are? Thanks
I had a similar problem like this with a 2004 Honda CR-V I used to own. The dealer tried to give me the same BS story about it being the gas station I was using, although I used a lot of different stations. And of course like Ford, the mechanics could not come up with a reason. After doing some research on different CR-V blog sites, I found that the problem was a defective pressure valve located in or outside of the gas tank, don't remember which. I would take your car to an independently owned automotive repair center that you trust and they should be able to accurately diagnose the problem.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:50 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Misty05
Have you tried some of the common fixes people have posted for this? Like twisting the gas pump nozzle 15-45 degrees left/right? It has worked for me multiple times and I only have to twist it like 10 degrees.

So far, that has been fool proof no matter what station I have trouble filling up at (and I've had to fill up in some REALLY hick-town stations )...
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 AM
keester
2nd Gear Member

Here in CA I found this works every time. Hold Back the nozzle cover (not sure if other states have this "fine" piece of equipment) with one hand while pumping the gas with the other. I always check my info display to see about how many gallons she is going to need. Then I just slow down the flow when I get close. It's a pain but it works. Let me know.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Misty05

Thanks to everyone for the replies. So get this, A co-worker overheard me talking to someone about this issue today when she turned to me and said, "My husband's Mustang does this." She didn't even know why type of car I drove at that point. When I asked her what year she said on 05! According to her he has been told by the dealer that it is a problem caused at many stations because of the style of nozzle they use. She said he foes to certain stations only that he knows don't cause this issue with his car. I will probably just go to the same ones he goes to but I will still try the methods mentioned here if I encounter the prob again and let everyone know.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:14 PM
ghunt
3rd Gear Member

Mine isn't that bad, but I just only put the nozzle about halfway in and it works fine.

Quick Reply: Help I can't fill my tank