Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: What would you do with the $1700 insurance check?
Repair damage done ASAP.
85.71%
Use touch up paint and use the cash on wheels/tires
14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

I need your advice. Someone did a hit & run on my Mustang. (beware 56k)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 09:53 PM
sgr215

Default I need your advice. Someone did a hit & run on my Mustang. (beware 56k)

About two months ago I bought a 2006 Mustang GT with very low mileage. After a month someone managed to crash into it at a red light. It was totally their fault but I realize it was an accident. After several weeks and $3000 in repairs it was finally ready to be picked up today. The shop even washed/detailed it for me. Needless to say I was like a kid at Christmas time. I had such a short time with her before the crash. Here she is looking amazing:

Name:  NkpFe.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  78.3 KB

So I start making my way down to the body shop to pick her up and the whole time I'm grinning ear to ear. It's about a hour away and I've been driving for about twenty minutes when suddenly I get a phone call from the body shop. I pick up and hear "Uhh.. I don't know how to tell you this but umm.. someone just hit your Mustang and drove off afterwards." My heart dropped. I hate to say it but my immediate reaction to that was "Wait... you're telling me they did a hit and run and you haven't even called the cops?! How do I know you didn't take it for a joy ride and do it yourself?!" The body shop assured me that wasn't the case. We both agreed it'd be best to discuss it in person so I hung up. Shortly thereafter I get another call from the shop. They say "It turns out it was a tire delivery man who did it and two of our employees saw it happen. We have all his information for when you get here. We're also going over the damage and getting an estimate ready." Needless to say I feel horrible now for blaming the shop and apologize to them. Once again, we agree we'll talk more once I arrive at the shop and hang up.

At this point I'm going as fast as I can to get to the shop. The body shop wouldn't tell me how bad it is so I'm thinking it's totaled. I'm seriously freaking out. After all, it just got fixed after two weeks in the shop and this happens?! At this point once again my phone rings and it's a number I don't recognize. I pick up and guess what? It's the tire companies "Director of Safety & Insurance" person. He's very apologetic and assures me that their insurance will cover everything. Furthermore, the guy who did the hit and run has had numerous other issues in the past and they will be firing him once he shows up. (apparently he's hiding from them too) Ordinarily, I wouldn't be happy about someone loosing their job but he did a hit and run. As far as I'm concerned, that sealed his fate and he deserves it.

I finally get to the shop and my Mustang is sitting out front. At first it looks completely fine. I seriously thought it was going to be very bad but I'm surprised to find it's barely even noticeable for the most part.

This first picture shows what happened. You can see the tire tracks in the grass leading right up to my Mustang.

Name:  CScZ0.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  97.4 KB

The damage:

Name:  MW2Dx.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  39.5 KB

So here's where I need your advice. The tire shops insurance is going to send me a check for a little under $1700 and I'm starting to question what to spend it on. $1700 would get me some great wheels/tires and the damage done is barely even noticeable. (even less so if I end up using touch up paint) Obviously, my only concern is rust.

So, I'm trying to decide between one of two things.

Option A: Use the $1700 to repair the damage done.

Option B: Use touch up paint and leave the rest as is. Use the $1700 on some staggered 19'' wheels/tires. (Keep in mind that while the picture might make it look really noticeable it's actually pretty hard to see unless you're really looking for it)

So, what would you all do in my situation?
Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Get it fixed. Once you get the wheels you'll start noticing it - A LOT. You can also see that the panel is bent a bit.

I had a little dent on my roof on my last one - and the more I waited the more it just p*ssed me off.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:01 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

In my humble opinion, I would get it fixed. That is a part of the car my eye always gravitates to on my car, being a prominent body line and so close to the rear it would bug the hell out of me.

Not sure how deep the scratch/dent went but I would imagine you have some rough winters in maryland so rust is very possible.

If I was in this position, I would definitely try to get more for the damages done. They need to pay rental coverage, and everything IMO. That was a company employee who was representing their company and he caused you a whole lot of time and extra headache. You should be compensated, not have to pay for someone elses brazen stupidity.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:10 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

If it were me, I'd get it fixed. Even if I touched it up, I would always know it was there and that would drive me NUTS. It's unreal the amount of cars on here that have recently gotten hit/been in accidents/vandalized etc

Maybe use some of the $$ to upgrade to a GT/CS rear? Hoping for the best
Old 11-08-2011, 10:27 PM
sgr215

Thanks for the responses so far. Unfortunately, you're right about Maryland and even worse, I don't have a garage so it's only underneath a car cover so rust is definitely a concern.

Another issue I have with getting it fixed is I'll be without my car for another week or two which will mean it'll be in the shop longer than it's been with me. Knowing my luck once it's fixed again some idiot will wreck right into the back of it at a stop light.

As far as compensation goes, it's still up for debate and nothing is finalized. Essentially, the $1700 figure is what the body shop estimated the damages were. I have witnesses, pictures, and even a letter from the companies rep stating they take full responsibility for it. So if it costs me more or I need a rental it'll be easy to get it from the insurance company at least.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I say fix it. Any mods you put into the car, be it your new rims, or anything else, you will never get over the damage to that panel. It stands out like a sore thumb, unfortunately, and would overshadow any mods.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:31 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Definitely fix it....once you start modding it you will be pissed every time you look at the dent. You could always buy rims later. It's to nice of a car to leave it dented.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:37 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

I agree with what everyone says. Even if I dont see it everytime I use my car i would know its there and it would annoy the hell out of me. Im a perfectionist
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

That car is gorgeous as it is with the wheels that are on it I'd get it fixed as well. When you start adding pretty things like wheels, the imperfections are going to stand out even more.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:09 PM
sgr215

Thanks everyone. It sounds like a lot of you are perfectionists and I mean that in a good way. Honestly, for me it wouldn't anger me at all to leave it alone as long as it won't cause drivability issues or other serious issues. (e.g. rust) I brought it to work today and a bunch of coworkers were checking it out. Not a single one noticed the dent until I pointed it out. Not to mention constant complements when filling it up, at red lights, etc.

I'm still torn between what to do. Part of me says the responsible thing to do is repair it and perhaps I will thank myself later for it. The other part of me, which often gets the best of me, says "Do you really want to be away from it for another 2 weeks? Besides... wheels! Tires!!"

Part of the problem is I rarely ever see $1700 of disposable income, especially in today's economy. If I end up spending it on repairs I'll have to accept the fact I'll never be able to afford wheels/tires.

Anyways... I guess I have plenty of time to make up my mind. Knowing insurance companies, it'll probably be several weeks before I ever see a dime. I had to fax them the estimate yet again and I won't be surprised if they make me get another estimate elsewhere too. Regardless, you can be sure I'm keeping a ledger of any additional expenses, as well as rental costs, when it's time for the final check to be cut.

Quick Reply: I need your advice. Someone did a hit & run on my Mustang. (beware 56k)