Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

05 S197 "Dark Ace" Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 12:04 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I don't recall whether I used my dimmer line or not. It is possible that I just attached it with the rest of the wires but did not solder it so it was always manually controlled. I know on other head units I've installed that sometimes allowing the cars settings to control the HU dimmer would cause it to constantly change brightnesses.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
fakesnake
2nd Gear Member

I would seriously think about adding a Whipple, as it transforms the car. You have a beautiful car btw, I love black with red leather.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Thanks Snake, I love it! I wasn't planning on going FI since I didn't plan on serious track time for this and wanted to mostly work on sound. I would love a supercharger but for the next few years it's not in the works. Who knows, maybe I'll get bored of having 400 NA horsepower and go for it

Latest mod which came in the form of a Valentine's day gift from my girlfriend:

Love her!

Haven't hit my favorite twists yet but I have noticed a good bit more rigidity on my vert and it stands taller in the corners instead of leaning as much.

Oh and I have a plenum cover that isn't rubbin yet and I've gotten on the car quite a bit to see if the engine surges enough to hit it.

Last edited by JCON; 02-16-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:13 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Few updates. Got the lights mounted using the DG Customs kit. There was a slight fitment issues which makes the drivers side look like my car now has a lazy eye. Will work on that when its not raining or cold. I am also waiting until it's warmer to smoke them so you don't see two bright silver things behind the grille.

Also, had a great experience with HorsepowerDirect.com. In less than 24 hours they added a product to their website at a discounted price and contacted me and shipped it. I've heard a few things about them and none bad so far. They told me if I ever need anything to ask them and they will do there best to have the same turn around. I would definitely recommend trying this if you need something.

Now for the part they sent, I decided to go ahead and pick up a JLT oil catch can in black. Got it shipped to my door for $112. A friend of mien has one and it looks great and has OEM fit. I got it because with all of my "spirited" runs, I seem to be getting more and more oil in my manifold. Not damaging at this point but I am a neat freak about the internal of my engine (and external to an extent). I'll add pix after the install.

I also picked up a CHE k-member brace with torque limiters to get rid of the 3rd gear miss issue. Haven't installed it but hope to this Sunday.

Finally, I hope to actually ship out the exhaust to get coated. It's been a long time coming and I was very sick this week so it got delayed again. Pix will follow when the headers return from El Paso Powder Coating.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:32 PM
pinn
2nd Gear Member

That is one sexy Mustang! That is the exact car I was looking for, but I settled for a coupe with the reverse color scheme, redfire with a black interior.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pinn
That is one sexy Mustang! That is the exact car I was looking for, but I settled for a coupe with the reverse color scheme, redfire with a black interior.
Thanks! It took me nearly 5 months of searching to find the right one. Very few with black exterior and crimson red interior (and a 5-speed and convertible and GT).
Old 03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Got it next business day with free shipping from horsepowerdirect.com! JLT did a great job with the OEM look and finish. Glad to get it in as the weather starts to warm up and I want to increase the pressure in the crankcase
Old 03-28-2012, 04:48 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I have added webelectric sequential now and what an easy install!

My Mac long tubes came in from El Paso Powder Coating where they were ceramic coated in matte black:

I have also purchases Prothane motormounts and as soon as there is a slot available my Mac long tubes, Prochamber, ProThane bullet motormounts (from Horsepower Direct), and CHE K-member brace with torque limiters are going in.

I'll post pix when done.

Also I fixed my water leak issue on the passenger side by resealing all the seams. If I get around to doing the driver's side I will post a how to:

Last edited by JCON; 03-29-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Purchased Brisk 3VR14S spark plugs and a Steeda tubular radiator support. Plan to get the car weighed and then start installing parts to drop some lbs from my heavy vert.

Also, have been having fail safe issues with some engine codes. One time the mix of codes didn't make any sense. F150 owners reported a bad ground causing misreadings by sensors. So I made a grounding kit from 8ga ground wire. I started by connecting the long side to the negative terminal on the battery. The wires were crimped in place and then soldered and then the rubber shield was installed over it and then electrical taped. After the routing was done, I zip tied the cables to keep them form moving and causing problems. See below:

The car felt and sounded better, even on this 85* day. I did however, after connecting the battery, failsafe 3 times in a row with the same codes, with in 3 minutes of driving. I reset the codes and then ran it hard in stop and go situations (getting 9 mpg) to try to induce failsafe again, didn't get it. I will keep trying to find the problem and hope it doesn't happen again. Some reports said that disconnecting the battery could cause a failsafe as the computer relearns the fuel map (if it has the map why does it have to relearn?).

Last edited by JCON; 07-02-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:28 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

Got a baseline dyno today. Only non-stock performance parts on the car were the Mac Boomtubes. Rest of the exhaust has not been installed yet and it's running stock intake with factory tune on 87 octane.

270rwhp and 292rwtq

Last edited by JCON; 06-02-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Quick Reply: 05 S197 "Dark Ace" Project