Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Ford Mustang Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Interior ambient lighting

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

Be sure to update us with the installation, and pics if you can. Can you provide any links to the parts? Was that the full price for just the ambient hardware?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:35 AM
R1nStang
2nd Gear Member

im subscribing to this thread...wanna see the outcome. can you post up the parts you ordered?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:48 AM
johngt10
2nd Gear Member

I actually wouldn't mind having the cup holder lit up due to I cant see it half the time and the dome lights aren't that bright
Old 12-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oceandreams89
Well, I ordered a ton of parts online last night from Silverstatefordparts.com The guy I dealt with there, John, was more helpful than I ever could imagine.

The parts total came up to $553.00 with shipping, which makes me believe that I'm a little more than nuts to do this to make my kids smile.... but WTF right? I'd rather spend more on original factory parts, and make the car the way it would be from the factory. I guess we will see how it goes. I'm hoping it all plugs in, and it will be good to go.

+1 for making your kids smile. If that makes you nuts wouldn't you rather be crazy then sane?
I know alot of parents wouldn't blow 355 just to put cool lights in the car for their kids
Old 12-03-2011, 07:24 AM
oceandreams89

Hi, and thanks! Thats a nice thing to say, thank you! I will post a parts list when I get the shipping invoice. I had a list that I placed the order from, and John, at the parts source that I mentioned, noticed that many of the parts were not applicable to my vin number, and asked me what I was doing before placing the order. When I mentioned my project to him, he noticed a few of the parts I had ordered were the wrong ones, so he corrected the part numbers, and ordered everything I would need. He is also going to confirm them all when he sets eyes on them before sending them out....very helpful, and prices are reasonable.

One thing I noticed driving home last night, and playing with the "my color" lights on the dash are that while the dash colors change, all the backlighting for the radio, environmental controls etc all stay green. That would be a nice detail for Ford to have thought of, so all the colors on the dash would agree (within reason) Ah well...some minor things to live with....(along with no telescoping steering wheel, no trunk release, no outside temp in the message ctr....little stuff, I guess. Maybe I should just buy a brand new 5.0 someday.... I'll bet the new cars have many more of these little things ) For now, I'm very happy with the car.

Now, I'm off to fight with the TPMS and get my new factory polished 18" bullitt wheels to stop giving me the fault warning.....
Old 12-06-2011, 01:49 PM
oceandreams89

Here is the parts list for this conversion:

8R3Z63044D90BA Console - Center - Finish panel - W/lighting pkg.1 $233.09
8R3Z6313562A Console, Center, Cup holder, Cup holder 1 $29.64
8R3Z14A318AA Console, Center, Light ring, Light ring 1 $73.97
7S4Z13E701AE , Black 4 $7.0 7S4Z13C788A PROCESSOR - LIGHTING 1 $63.38 $63.38
8R3Z13D806BA SWITCH ASY - INTERIO 1 $15.75 $15.75
8R3Z14A411B JUMPER WIRING 2 $15.10 $30.20
8R3Z14A411C JUMPER WIRING 1 $31.46 $31.46

Sub Total $505.77
Shipping $47.76
Handling Fee $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total $553.53

www.silverstatefordparts.com talk to John.....

Jumper wiring "B" is the front LED's, one for each foot well.
"C" is the rear footwells that illuminate through the console.
"Black" are the LED light trim rings (4 of these, 1 for each LED)

This is from the shipping confirmation, I have not recieved the parts yet, hopefully by the end of the week. I'll let you all know how it goes, and try to take pics as well....

Todd
Old 12-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Alec
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by oceandreams89
I've seen the aftermarket lighting kits, but want 100% Ford factory appearance and function.
Same here. I've wanted to retrofit the ambient lighting into my car but I really don't like the aftermarket options.

Subscribing for interest
Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 AM
oceandreams89

Saturday afternoon, Christmas came early as the Fedex truck showed up with the parts, and a few hours later I went to work. Unfortunately my wife had the camera with her in NYC, so I didnt get pictures, although they would not be needed....this was amazingly simple if the car is pre-wired with the ambient lighting harness. I'm not sure if all 2008 GT's have it, or only those with the my color dash, or the premiums...but the plugs are visible under the dash, and under the console if you do have the harness pre-installed....

Anyway, I took the new lighting package equipped console, (the most expensive part of the job) flipped it over and installed the light ring in the cup holder area, then installed the cup holder sandwiching the two together...(I needed to supply my own screws, as the $35.00 piece of plastic did not include them) I then installed the control unit box on the bottom of the cup holder where the factory screw holes are for mounting it (again, supplying the screws). I then installed the control switch, and plugged the control switch, and control box into the wires attached to the light ring.

I removed the lower console by removing two bolts under the carpeted trim inside the arm rest, and then two smaller bolts at the front of the console near the shifter. Then it was time to drill the holes in the back of the console for the rear seat LED's. There is a mark in the plastic from the mold where the light holes go to make for easy drilling. If you buy a lighting package lower console for an additional $120 these holes will be pre drilled. I saved the money, and drilled them myself....took me 15 min just to make sure everything was even on both sides, etc...and being very very careful, drilling the holes, and using a small file to carefully shape the holes. I then pushed in the LED lens covers, and snapped the LED's onto the lenses, then running the wire forward, and replacing the lower console in place, that part was done.

Then, I replaced the upper console in place, simply plugging in the harnesses into their respective ends.....they all only fit one way of course, so you cant mess that up. I re-secured the console, then left the somplest to last....

The front foorwell LED's simply plug in to their open harnesses under the dash, and then run on a short wire to an open metal oval shaped hole about center span in each footwell, where the dashboard plastic trim begins. I inserted the LED lens covers into the holes, then snapped the LED's onto the lenses.

Then the fun part.....turn on the ignition, and start pressing the button. All the colors changed perfectly....in the cup holder, and rear seats. It seems there is a problem with the front seat LED's, as the right one remained GREEN...(starboard side I guess) and the left one remained...you boaters guessed it... RED (port side). I can see some flickering in the led's when I pulled them from the lenses to check them, so there is apparently a problem with them, so I'll send them back next week, and get some replacements. Oh well, every job has to have its hiccup I suppose.....

Anyway, start to finish, not knowing what I was doing, and without any instructions taking my time, and being extremely cautious, this took me about 1:30. Knowing now how everything works, where everything is and how it all goes together etc....I'll bet I could do it in 30-45min. Very easy and rewarding. My last car was a 1979 Bandit Trans Am, and the projects were much longer, much dirtier, and much bloodier on the knuckles.....

Todd
Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Good for you man, you are the first I've seen do this. I'm glad you figured it out, even when you didn't get any help here...it's a rarity to have this type of question here go unanswered. Most of us wouldn't drop the cash for the upgrade, but a child's smile is priceless.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM
oceandreams89

I doubt she will smile much if they dont work though.....

I've been driving myself nuts all morning on why the front LED's wont work correctly....I keep thinking I've missed somthing. I was worried about an extra plug under the console until it occurred to me that it's probobly a harness for an automatic transmission. Since mine is a manual, it's just sitting there empty....I did some more forum checking and that seems to be the case. It's a 6 pin plug and the only wire that has anything in common with the ambient light system is purple/white. Seems thats a popular one on this car, since it seems to be everywhere.

I'm wondering, LED's are seemingly bulletproof lights, and very simple....I'm wondering what the chances of 2 bad light sections are, and perhaps there is a bad ground somewhere.....

Anyway, I usually try for that old thing from Seinfeld - "Serenity Now.....Insanity Later", but it seems that insanity now is taking over today.....maybe it has to do with blowing $500 on lights, and the big ones dont work.... Maybe it is as simple as bad lights, but I'm just not confident with that explanation....anyway, more later I guess.... It seems to be becoming more than a 2 hr job huh.... Off to test for voltage now....

Todd

Quick Reply: Interior ambient lighting