Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My GT is an unpleasent driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Default My GT is an unpleasent driving experience

I just polished up my GT, added some stabil, put the car cover on and away she goes for this winter.... 1050 miles added this year. It just wasnt practical or always fun to drive. I should have left it stock, because every mod i add seems to make it a little worse.

-Tune(brenspeed) 93 oct. - Throttle respose is so crisp and quick, compunded with the next 2 mods makes it worse.

-Gears( 4.10) With a set of ET streets at the track, i can do 1.65 60'. But on the street, 1st gear is barely useable and is VERY jumpy tagged with the torque.

-Upgraded Clutch( spec stg2, NOW replaced with RAM HD) This thing is to stiff! It only has 2k miles on it, but it is a pain to work and i was hoping it would be better than the spec. It grips awesome, but its more like a lightswitch than anything ive ever driven.

- ALU Spydershaft- adds to the throttle response problem and on the street, the less is better, so i removed it and its sitting in my rafters.

-Tires 285/40/18's Goodyear Eagle F1's- WHEELHOPS to much with 3/4 or more throttle, even witha solid UCA and LCA's

-CHE TQ Brace, this makes everything so solid, there is NO wiggle room anywhere, you hit the throttle( just a little) causes the rpms to spike quick and it instantly wheelhops

Trying to drive reasonably( under 2k rpm) just isnt happening with this setup unless you start in 2nd gear every time and skipshift. I daily drive my ram and my zx2- The zx2 5 speed is a dream to drive after taking out the mustang, smooth easy shifts, avgs 33 mpg.

My mustang has gotten to be purely a track car because with a set of Mickeys on it, it really launches and runs hard, chirping 3 gears. But it just doesnt seem Relaxed or smooth on the street. I was planning on doing detroit rocker cams next, for a few more ponies, but im affraid the extra HP will only make it worse. All fo these mods took my car in the wrong direction, not driving it much and it doesnt see the track that much anymore.

Any ideas on what i can do to make it more street Friendly? I would like to try DD it next year. My ideas were getting better tires to take away some wheelhop and hopefully the clutch wears in some more and softens up! -Jon

Last edited by Yonco; 12-02-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

is it really that bad?
i have about the same mods you do plus a Whipple SC, minus the sticky tires
and my GT runs really smooth. i can DD drive it like it was stock, but step on the throttle and it'll go.

is your suspension stock? bc you didn't mention that.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

Stock Springs, just UCA and poly UCA's. The car just seems so "stiff" I would imagine you would have to much "instant power" with a whipple. After 1000 1/4 mile track passes even the stock spider gears stripped out, how do these things even handle any more hp! The engine is smooth, its just the power to the ground is so instant, catchy, abrupt.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 AM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

My guess would be that your perception is mostly based on that race clutch you have. Try "downgrading" to something more street-friendly.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:48 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

I would suggest working on the tune with brenspeed. The 93 tune is not dd friendly because of the throttle input. Have the guys tune it with a more linear throttle input. I have a 93 octane, 0-100 tune from them and the throttle input is mapped completely different than say my 87 tune.
Hope this helps.

1050 miles....C'MON MAN!!!

Last edited by mayo; 12-03-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

I would def start with Brenspeed tell them the issues you are having, and go from there, and like someone else mentioned, consider a more streetable clutch.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:12 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

U were getting 1.65 thats pretty quick. What was ur time in the 1/4. U can call brenspeed and have them adjust your throttle response. Thats the great thing about a tuning department. They can adjust most anything
Old 12-03-2011, 09:42 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

If you're running the same tune on the street that you're using for the track, then most if not all of the problem is in front of your nose. Switch to a more street-friendly tune.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Yonco
3rd Gear Member

I was at 12.90 with intake/shortys/clutch/tri-ax/ET steets and LCA's
then 12.75 after the 4.10 gears/DS.

My MPH's on the 1/4 were always varying, i could never keep it consistant. I always hotlap when i race 1/4 mile. The 12.9 run was in the middle of a 50 run day at the track when we had norwalk rented. MPH's from 106 to 109

The car jumps off the line great and on certian trips was even beating out other S197's and cobras that had blowers.

On second throught, i have never ran anything but the 93 race tune since a week after i got it, mabey ill try loading in the 87 and see if that makes it more friendly. I didnt not know there was that much of a variable in response because of the tune. -Jon

Last edited by Yonco; 12-03-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Seems like you has a street car set up as a strip
car and dont like driving it on the street any more?

What the problem, exactly?
What did you think 4.10s were going to do?

Quick Reply: My GT is an unpleasent driving experience