Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New member with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
CaptTAB

Default New member with a few questions

Hey guys Im new here. Working with a 2008 GT, current performance mods are BBK throttle body, K&N CAI, flowmaster axle back dual exhaust. My next mods Im thinking are going to be a tune, 3.73 gears, and an underdrive pulley setup (probly all at once). My questions are 1) With my mods what tuner should I go with? 2) With the underdrive pulleys will I have any problems with keeping my battery charged or anything like that? 3) Lastly what mods really made you guys say wow that was worth it! (besides what I have) Any feedback is appreciated and will post pics ASAP! Thanks guys
Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

That TB is useless unless your SC'd but if it's not giving you any problems, then it's best to leave it.

Your CAI is also almost useless w/o a tune so you're on the correct track to get a tune. THAT will be your "wow" (unless you do cams with LT's, the latter of which will add roughly as much as a CAI & good custom tune). AM and Brenspeed are 2 of the better tuners used by the forum members.

UDP's shouldn't give you any charging problems unless you sit in traffic A LOT and are pulling some heavy duty CONTINUOUS power.

Tha axlebacks (and any exhaust work past the H-pipe) provide tone improvement only; no RWHP gains.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:33 AM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

^^^^^^^What he said.

Tune is King. First engine mod that gives you true results.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Also, 3.73's will provide noticeable difference IF you have the stock 3.31's standard with the auto. However, if you have a manual, you probably have 3.55's from the factory, in which case you'll be disappointed with 3.73's.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

Don't forget to put that power down before getting gears.

I'm guessing your on stock Pirellis? Most popular setup for 'S197 seems to be staggered 18x9 in front/18x10 in rear. Some good tires to go with those; Nitto 555 are decent to start with.popular around here, and are priced pretty fair. I can vouch that American Muscle has some great packages.

Also try to invest in some lower control arms to keep wheel hop down. You don't have to spend alot. I have a pair of $99 J&M LCAs and they are exactly the same in every way as the $225 Steedas a friend has.

My wow mods were: intake/91 octane tune, wheel/tire upgrade, 4.10 gears/lower control arms. I can easily put lengths on a stock GT. With a good launch and some drag radials this setup is supposedly good for very low 13s MAYBE a high 12.9* if conditions are perfect. Have yet to run it down the 1/4 so can't confirm.

Last edited by Ricardo; 12-21-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:03 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

+1 to Nuke (know what gears you got before you upgrade) and +1 to Ricardo on the J&M LCA's at $99 beans.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 PM
CaptTAB

Why would I be disappointed with the 3.73s? I have the 5 speed manual and drive it just about everyday and dont wanna go with 4.10s. And for wheels and tires I have 18x8 all the way around with 255/45s wrapped around them. Someday Id like to get drag wheels and tires but its just not in the budget right now.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptTAB
Why would I be disappointed with the 3.73s? I have the 5 speed manual and drive it just about everyday and dont wanna go with 4.10s. And for wheels and tires I have 18x8 all the way around with 255/45s wrapped around them. Someday Id like to get drag wheels and tires but its just not in the budget right now.
I think what's trying to be said is that the manual transmission usually has 3.55 gears installed. In fact, there's a label on the housing that tells you what was installed in the factory. Going to 3.73 gears from 3.55 is not a very appreciable difference and may not yield enough results for you to really feel a solid difference, but at the end of the day it's your decision what to go with. I can personally tell you that my 2006 GT manual daily driver showed a noticeable difference going from 3.55 to 4.10 and I was happier with the car's responsiveness off the line. However, the trade off is the car will run at higher rpm's at the same highway speed and that can cause some discomfort over long trips. I concur with Nuke's observation and believe that had I gone with 3.73's though, I would not have felt I received the value I had expected from such an investment. It's also worth noting that some forum members have reported unexpected whine from using 3.90 gears with the 2005 and newer mustangs, so be aware of that as part of your decision making process.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 PM
CaptTAB

I know a guy that got a set of 3.73s for free somehow but he already had a set installed in his 07 GT so hes willing to sell his extra set for $50 for the ring and pinion. Brand new in box... should I or no? Im leaning pretty hard towards yes, so far I havent heard anything to change my mind.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:21 PM
RockG

Defenetly get a Tune, I went with BAMA tune for life deal.... I could feel the diffrence with 93 oct race tune right away, plus tunes for life is great cuz every mod can be optimized by retuning it.

Quick Reply: New member with a few questions