Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Wanting to buy a Super Charger, But.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM
BULLITTMAN

Default Wanting to buy a Super Charger, But.....

Not sure if this post is in the right section or not, If it is not I'm sorry. I want to buy a Vortec SC kit, But I need to know what I should do first (cams,ect). It will not be taken to the track every weekend but it also will not be driven every day either. It's just my toy. So with that being said please Advise.........

P.S. my car is stock at this point beside the facorty Bullitt upgrades...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Let me first say, welcome to Mustang Forums from one fellow MF'r to another!

I would suggest performing a search on the forums (if you are able to do so) to educate yourself more fully on the subject. I can already tell you that people are going to ask, "what is the primary goal of your build?" I think that you may want to futher educate yourself through various articles found by performing searches on google as well. You may think the Vortech is what you want but after you do some research to see what the pros and cons are you may find that you want something else. I know when I started researching the topic I changed and probably will change again before I actually take the leap.

All of that being said, my best advise is to do yourself a favor and research the hell out of EVERY option out there and base your decision on that. This is not a cheap investment so do some digging, you'll be happy you did.

Why the Vortech? (just curious?)
Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
BULLITTMAN

Really I said Vortec because thats what I had before on my TA . I haven't done any research on the others out there
Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BULLITTMAN
Really I said Vortec because thats what I had before on my TA . I haven't done any research on the others out there
Do a search as suggested. I personally have a saleen sc had over 40k's miles it with the stock motor finally pushed it too far and got ahold of some bad race gas and it let loose. Very complete car the 425hp kit is a great way to start.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

yea dont buy a supercharger based on price. Research and get what u want. If u have an auto get a torque convertor. IF not then change grears if you do cams. U may want to upgrade your fuel system to dual pump b/c u may want more power so if you have that done it will be something you will not have to worry about. Reputable tuner. A few things you should know. Once you get the supercharger do not shift into OD at the track and if your driven hard on the street or at the track be sure to keep your tcs off. Other than that just be sure to keep up on maintence and keep track of whats going on underneath the hood. Oh and some LCA and DR's for the track. Id get MTs so skip the Nitto track tire.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

You really need to define your budget, yes you need a budget. You have to plan on how much you truly can afford to spend. Realistically expect to spend at least $5k for the kit and supporting mods, but that number could reach $10k. Good luck, there are some great options out there and your car will be transformed into quite a beast.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:28 AM
itsmymilkyway
1st Gear Member

ya... do a search (only posting to add posts on m profile)
Old 12-23-2011, 05:47 AM
MadMike1337
2nd Gear Member

I have a paxton ho kit and i love it. I do suggest replacing the LCA's and the rear upper control arm for better traction and eliminatIng wheel hop.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:01 PM
mustanghobby
1st Gear Member

Like everyone said budget. If your going to install yourself u will save around $800-$1000. If u plan on going over 440rwhp u will need fuel upgrades, ($250) kb boost a pump or ($700) gt500 pumps. twin screw blowers offer boost at low rpm and an instant torque hit where as centrifical will see boost at higher rpm. good luck any supercharger will make your car a helluva lot funner!!!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 AM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

Agreed a budget must be set and do research, you're bypassing a lot of good SC kits like the Edelbrock E-Force.

Quick Reply: Wanting to buy a Super Charger, But.....