Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

modify the 09' modular bullitt

Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM
thenewstevemcqueen

Default modify the 09' modular bullitt

just broke 15,000 miles on my 09' highland green mustang bullitt. nothing aftermarket yet, that's why i am generating this thread. i want any suggestions for modifications for my car that will increase the power of my car AND allow the engine to still have a good lifespan if i drive it hard. i am 22 yrs old. im not some 55 year old retiree with a z06 goin to the grocery store on a sunday afternoon. i drive my car hard. does anyone know of any good mods out there. i would really love to run forced induction but i have heard from several sources that the hypereutectic pistons and rods DO NOT handle boost well at all. apparently that what these later year modular engines have. are there any objections to that info i recieved? please let me know. any suggestions would be great. thanks.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:04 PM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

Start with a cai and a brenspeed tune via sct controller. After researching for several weeks I just placed my order this morning and am very excited! I just got my car and cant keep it stock.....stock is boring to me. I mod all my cars, except my gf's honda. She wont let me and I have no desire too either! LOL

How does the bullitt sound with the stock exhaust?

patrick
Old 10-16-2009, 07:10 PM
FreshPuck
1st Gear Member

the fact that Ford promotes and honors the warranty of modded versions of the Mustang (i.e. Roush) says a lot about what you can expect in terms of the internals' ability to handle boost. If its kept at reasonable and safe levels with a nice tune, you should have zero problems
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
thenewstevemcqueen

the exhaust sounds fairly decent, actually. it has a very distinctive sound that cant really be replicated by any aftermarket muffler. i still am thinking about getting a completely new full exhaust setup done to it. i want a really mean sound (not raspy), and of course i want to make horsepower also. do you have any suggestions in that area?
Old 10-16-2009, 08:14 PM
thenewstevemcqueen

from what i understood, the roush, s gt500, and saleens are built from their factories with higher end internal components. i am not 100% sure about that though.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thenewstevemcqueen
from what i understood, the roush, s gt500, and saleens are built from their factories with higher end internal components. i am not 100% sure about that though.
The GT500 and Saleen Extreme are the only models out of the S197 platform with Forged Internals. The Roush models still utilize the 3V internals, just adjust the ECU/PCM and tune the crap out of it.

The 3V motors can handle boost pretty well. My 07 GT is Blown, and makes almost 12PSI and is driven daily, and has been driven very hard. No problems yet.

You could get some Nitrous, full exhaust, a Custom tune, gears, intake, etc.

There are many mods available, just depends on what you want more. I.E Sound, HP, etc.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 PM
thenewstevemcqueen

ok, cool. well i am definitely gonna look into forced induction then. i also was wondering about the transmissions. what would i need to do in that area? i know i am going to need a pro 5.0 shifter as i have went from 3-2 twice at WOT... definitely not good... especially if i am gonna run forced induction.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thenewstevemcqueen
ok, cool. well i am definitely gonna look into forced induction then. i also was wondering about the transmissions. what would i need to do in that area? i know i am going to need a pro 5.0 shifter as i have went from 3-2 twice at WOT... definitely not good... especially if i am gonna run forced induction.
The TR-3650/5R55S can handle good power for what it's worth. If your car makes around 450 RWHP, your transmission, internals rear-end will be fine, even if you beat on it.

A Pro 5.0 shifter is ok in the S197's. MGW is a better choice for a smoother shift, and a more accurate throw when shifting hard.

They are pricey though.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 PM
oldlugs
2nd Gear Member

Your transmission should take the extra torque of forced induction just fine, as will the engine, so long as you're conservative with boost levels.

I have the Hurst Billet Plus shifter in my '08 Bullitt, but I think people have fewer issues (Hurst rattles) with MGW. If you decide on different exhaust sound, understand that changing mufflers will change sound, but not add more power. I wanted my Bullitt a tad louder, and put on some FR500S/KR mufflers... Got more than a tad louder. I'm now thinking that I'd like the 3" Magnaflow cat-back system better.

On the supercharger issue, you need to decide whether you want to go with a Roots type blower or centrifugal, and whether or not you want to keep your Bullitt strut tower brace. You can keep it with a centrifugal blower (hairdrier), but not with all of the Roots style blowers.

If you just want a better "tune" for your stock Bullitt for now, I'd suggest a Bamachips "torque" for daily driving, or their "race" for a more high performance feel. I switch back and forth between the two. I have tried tunes from another supplier, but they didn't work as well on my Bullitt at higher altitudes as the Bamachips tunes.
BTW- if you're getting blown, you might want to skip headers and/or cams, and stick with stock stuff there.

Oh- here's a picture of mine, #1423:

Last edited by oldlugs; 10-16-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-16-2009, 11:00 PM
smokievol
2nd Gear Member

Keep all your stock parts, if you buy a Bullet, I would believe you would want to keep it a Bullet.
If you want to Mod, buy a GT...

Thats from a 55 year old, almost!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: modify the 09' modular bullitt