Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuner help Trinity with Airaid cai HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
dooman800

Default Tuner help Trinity with Airaid cai HELP!!!

Hello, i have a 2011 Mustang Gt 5.0 6 speed with 373's and i just bought a Diablo Trinity tuner with a airaid CAI,Magna flow cat back exhaust and a Steeda shifter.

My question is about the mvt insert. If i take the insert out of the Airaid CAI system do i need another tune from Diablo? Or will the one on the Trinity tuner work. I get the Trinity tuner Friday and wanted to pull the insert out then load the tune but not sure if it will run right with MVT insert out of the airaid.

My other question is if the insert is out and you get your tuner set up for that does that mean you will make more power with the insert out?

Thanks for any help..
Old 01-07-2012, 10:02 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

The MVT is for the factory OEM tune.

If you remove the MVT, you are effectivly
increasing the cross section area of the
CAI inlet tube where the MAF is mounted
requiring a tune for the increased airflow.

More airflow and the proper fuel tables for
the cross section increase of the inlet tube
where the MAF is located will increase power
somewhat. But the real gains come from the
trinitys spark advance tables that are more
aggressive than the OEM ford ones.

Read the directions that came with the
MVT equipped AirAid intake or contact your
vendor for more info concerning the set-up
you purchased.

The tuner just dont work that well right out
of the box with a 'canned' tune.
A 'canned' tune might work for the AirAid but
you really nned a custom tune for your combo
to work correctly. Someone has done dyno tuning
with that intake and have the proper tables for
it. This is called a custom tune like from BAMA
or the like. I dont think the trinity is capable of
downloading custom tunes, though.
You might need a diablo or an old school SCT tuner.
One that BAMA or the likes supports.

Last edited by 157dB; 01-07-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:15 PM
dooman800

So your telling me i bought a 600 dollar tuner for nothing and all i have is an airaid air intake and exhaust....hmmmm i dont think so.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM
dooman800

Looks like i found my own answer. Found this online. Looks like the tunes loaded in the Trinity that say (Airaid) are the ones you use with the insert removed. Please correct me if I am wrong...

AIRAIDs new Mustang Air Intake System comes complete with all the necessary mounting hardware and complete, detailed instructions for easy installation. The install can be accomplished by the average driveway mechanic in about an hour. The following photos highlight a typical installation. If you're a 5.0L V8 Mustang owner looking to unleash the hidden horsepower and torque that is sitting under the hood of your car, without the use of aftermarket programmers, then AIRAIDs new 5.0L V8 Mustang intake system is worth checking out.

The DiabloSport Trinity is also very easy to install:

Plug the Trinity cable into your diagnostic port located under the driver side dash.
The Trinity will turn on and boot up to a menu screen. (If the screen does not light-up, then replace your cigarette lighter fuses)

Proceed to installation, agree to the disclaimer, and choose the appropriate tune:
If leaving the MVT insert inside of the intake tube, then choose from the standard Diablo tunes. There are different tunes for different octane fuels used in the vehicle.
If you are removing the MVT insert from the intake tube, then you must choose from the Airaid CAI tune(s). There are tunes for other CAI (cold air intakes) listed but you must choose from the Airaid CAI tunes when you are removing the MVT insert from the intake tube.

You can also choose to modify any of the tunes to correct the speedometer, raise speed governor, and other advanced parameters.
The DiabloSport Trinity will record and save your original OEM software and then install the new tune you chose. You will prompted to go through a series of key cycles and screen prompts during this process.
Total install time for the tuning during the initial installation is about 15 minutes.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:49 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dooman800
So your telling me i bought a 600 dollar tuner for nothing and all i have is an airaid air intake and exhaust....hmmmm i dont think so.
lol at the new guys answer after the member gave a thoughful lenghty response.... Hmmmm I think you did waste $600 on that tuner as well! It's 2012, custom tunes are the way to go and canned tunes are 5 years ago... get with the program You should have spent 5 minutes on google before you spent $600 ... Better yet, you should have gotten on the "parts for sale" and you could have picked both up for <$375,. Then pay $100 to bama through AmericanMucle for "free tunes for life."
Old 01-07-2012, 09:51 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by dooman800
Looks like i found my own answer. Found this online. Looks like the tunes loaded in the Trinity that say (Airaid) are the ones you use with the insert removed. Please correct me if I am wrong...

AIRAIDs new Mustang Air Intake System comes complete with all the necessary mounting hardware and complete, detailed instructions for easy installation. The install can be accomplished by the average driveway mechanic in about an hour. The following photos highlight a typical installation. If you're a 5.0L V8 Mustang owner looking to unleash the hidden horsepower and torque that is sitting under the hood of your car, without the use of aftermarket programmers, then AIRAIDs new 5.0L V8 Mustang intake system is worth checking out.

The DiabloSport Trinity is also very easy to install:

Plug the Trinity cable into your diagnostic port located under the driver side dash.
The Trinity will turn on and boot up to a menu screen. (If the screen does not light-up, then replace your cigarette lighter fuses)

Proceed to installation, agree to the disclaimer, and choose the appropriate tune:
If leaving the MVT insert inside of the intake tube, then choose from the standard Diablo tunes. There are different tunes for different octane fuels used in the vehicle.
If you are removing the MVT insert from the intake tube, then you must choose from the Airaid CAI tune(s). There are tunes for other CAI (cold air intakes) listed but you must choose from the Airaid CAI tunes when you are removing the MVT insert from the intake tube.

You can also choose to modify any of the tunes to correct the speedometer, raise speed governor, and other advanced parameters.
The DiabloSport Trinity will record and save your original OEM software and then install the new tune you chose. You will prompted to go through a series of key cycles and screen prompts during this process.
Total install time for the tuning during the initial installation is about 15 minutes.

Correct you spent too much money ))))))))))))))))
Old 01-07-2012, 11:35 PM
dooman800

That's funny you wasted your time writing all that. I think you mean your car is like 5 years ago lol... The tuner does more then just canned tunes,But why comment if you don't even have one? Thanks for your friendly advice but i don't want a tune e-mailed to me. I do plan on dynoing the car stock then adding the mods and seeing how far the tuner will take the car. Just wanted to know the capability of the tuner. Never paid retail for the the Trinity anywys,but hey you should be thanking me for keeping your economy from going in the toilet anymore... Now get back to building your 2007 v6 and i"ll get back to building snow mans as I am from the great white north you know eh.lol.

Originally Posted by 99gtstang
lol at the new guys answer after the member gave a thoughful lenghty response.... Hmmmm I think you did waste $600 on that tuner as well! It's 2012, custom tunes are the way to go and canned tunes are 5 years ago... get with the program You should have spent 5 minutes on google before you spent $600 ... Better yet, you should have gotten on the "parts for sale" and you could have picked both up for <$375,. Then pay $100 to bama through AmericanMucle for "free tunes for life."
Old 01-08-2012, 07:03 AM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

lol
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I think he bought more than just the CAI & tuner for the $600. He also mentioned a cat-back and Steeda shifter. If he got all that with only $600, then that is a deal (at least to me it is, I would have jumped on such a deal).

And yes, I agree, you do not need the AirRaid inset with the Diablo tune. They do write their tunes for without the insert.
If he wants to use the insert, I believe he must either reload the stock Ford tune or ask the tuner to write a tune to account for the insert in place.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:42 PM
dooman800

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
I think he bought more than just the CAI & tuner for the $600. He also mentioned a cat-back and Steeda shifter. If he got all that with only $600, then that is a deal (at least to me it is, I would have jumped on such a deal).

And yes, I agree, you do not need the AirRaid inset with the Diablo tune. They do write their tunes for without the insert.
If he wants to use the insert, I believe he must either reload the stock Ford tune or ask the tuner to write a tune to account for the insert in place.

Thank you Jim...

Quick Reply: Tuner help Trinity with Airaid cai HELP!!!