Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

DD shifting vs. redlining/racing shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:33 PM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Default DD shifting vs. redlining/racing shifting

Hi everyone, I just have some questions about shifting on my 2012 Mustang GT. I only drove a manual transmission car for about 2 weeks then after a year or so, I got my Mustang.

A friend of mine who has been driving manual for a while taught me it really doesn't matter which RPM you shift, you just need to listen to the sound of the engine. I think this is true to a certain extent....or maybe not.

If any of the questions (or most of them) have been answered, can anyone provide me with links to the thread? I appreciate y'alls help in advance!!

Daily Driving

1. Which RPM do you normally shift? If I am going really slow, I usually do 2k rpm. So if the rpm doesn't go over 2k, I just stay in that gear. If I am going slightly faster, I shift just before 3k. I might be wrong but it seemed the smoothest when I shift just before 3k.

2. Which gear do you drive in when driving in the neighborhood? I usually do 3rd, if I am going slightly fast. But I noticed if I'm going under 20, I start to hear something if I am in 3rd. So I just driving in 2nd.

Sometimes I drive through neighborhoods where the bumps are thin but a bit tall. I keep my gear in 1st and gently drive over it. The speedometer needle almost hits 0.

**I noticed I have to drive over speed bumps (big or small) slowly or I will hear some clunking noise (sometimes). Has anyone experienced this? My car is brand new. I could drive over bumps faster without making any clunking noise on a Camry (family car).

3. When cruising around the city, let's say the speed limit is 40, do you drive in 5th gear to conserve fuel?

4. I am aware of the Skip Shift 1-4 on my Mustang. I don't mind having it, but I noticed the car jerks unless I hold the clutch slightly in for a bit longer than usual. Is this normal or is it my inexperience in shifting in manual transmission?

5. I heard people skipping shifts like 1-3-5 or 2-4-6 to conserve fuel. When is it the appropriate time to skip shifts?

Redlining/Racing

I am not planning on tracking or anything, but I ask because I know during the break in time, it doesn't hurt to redline the car once in a while.

1. I tried redlining today. I felt as if it was impossible to shift to 2nd. What am I doing wrong?

2. My car doesn't have My Color so it doesn't turn red when I redline it. I feel it's hard to keep my eyes on the road and look at the tachometer at the same time.

Other questions:

1.Do eqiupments like Raptor shift light help? For both DD and redlining?

2.Is there a better product? I noticed there is single and dual types for Raptor Shift light, what's the difference?

3. I feel my stock shifter is a bit notchy. But when my friend (he's been driving stick for a while), he said compared to his WRX, my stock shifter is pretty good that I don't really need a short shifter. Also when he was driving my car (showing me some techniques), it didn't seem like the shifter was being notchy. Am I not applying enough pressure when shifting??
Old 01-10-2012, 01:07 AM
Lem-06
4th Gear Member

most of the DD shifting seems like the best choices, 2/3'rd around neighborhood.
best fuel economy keeping it under 3k
most of the time around town speed limit is 35, i cruise in 5th at 40 easily.
skip shifting like you mentioned you can do any time going around town to get higher gears faster.
to redline, was skip shift kicking your ***?
get a giant tach/redlight and put it on your hood

also, mind you my numbers are with the 2006 5speed.

Last edited by Lem-06; 01-10-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:38 AM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lem-06
most of the DD shifting seems like the best choices, 2/3'rd around neighborhood.
best fuel economy keeping it under 3k
most of the time around town speed limit is 35, i cruise in 5th at 40 easily.
skip shifting like you mentioned you can do any time going around town to get higher gears faster.
to redline, was skip shift kicking your ***?
get a giant tach/redlight and put it on your hood

also, mind you my numbers are with the 2006 5speed.
Thank you! I don't find it hard to keep it under 3k rpm...but I am still getting 14 mpg. I heard stories where after the car is broke in, you'll get better mileage. I'm not sure if this is true but we will see.

You say I can do skip shifting any time going around town to get higher gears faster. But what would be the benefit of getting higher gears faster?

What do you mean skip shifting kicking my *** to redline? are you referring to the 1-4 skip shift? Well I noticed when I pass certain RPM in 1st gear, the 1-4 skip shift goes away...so I didn't even think that 1-4 skip shift is what cause to (maybe) lock 2nd gear when I tried to shift....

Lol yes I am thinking about getting a shift light. What is the difference between single and dual shift light??
Old 01-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ihavefat

Daily Driving

1. Which RPM do you normally shift? If I am going really slow, I usually do 2k rpm. So if the rpm doesn't go over 2k, I just stay in that gear. If I am going slightly faster, I shift just before 3k. I might be wrong but it seemed the smoothest when I shift just before 3k.

2. Which gear do you drive in when driving in the neighborhood? I usually do 3rd, if I am going slightly fast. But I noticed if I'm going under 20, I start to hear something if I am in 3rd. So I just driving in 2nd.

Sometimes I drive through neighborhoods where the bumps are thin but a bit tall. I keep my gear in 1st and gently drive over it. The speedometer needle almost hits 0.

**I noticed I have to drive over speed bumps (big or small) slowly or I will hear some clunking noise (sometimes). Has anyone experienced this? My car is brand new. I could drive over bumps faster without making any clunking noise on a Camry (family car).

3. When cruising around the city, let's say the speed limit is 40, do you drive in 5th gear to conserve fuel?

4. I am aware of the Skip Shift 1-4 on my Mustang. I don't mind having it, but I noticed the car jerks unless I hold the clutch slightly in for a bit longer than usual. Is this normal or is it my inexperience in shifting in manual transmission?

5. I heard people skipping shifts like 1-3-5 or 2-4-6 to conserve fuel. When is it the appropriate time to skip shifts?

Redlining/Racing

I am not planning on tracking or anything, but I ask because I know during the break in time, it doesn't hurt to redline the car once in a while.

1. I tried redlining today. I felt as if it was impossible to shift to 2nd. What am I doing wrong?

2. My car doesn't have My Color so it doesn't turn red when I redline it. I feel it's hard to keep my eyes on the road and look at the tachometer at the same time.

Other questions:

1.Do eqiupments like Raptor shift light help? For both DD and redlining?

2.Is there a better product? I noticed there is single and dual types for Raptor Shift light, what's the difference?

3. I feel my stock shifter is a bit notchy. But when my friend (he's been driving stick for a while), he said compared to his WRX, my stock shifter is pretty good that I don't really need a short shifter. Also when he was driving my car (showing me some techniques), it didn't seem like the shifter was being notchy. Am I not applying enough pressure when shifting??
This is what I do, but your answers will probably vary wildly.

Daily Driving - in order of the questions you asked.

1. I usually shift between 2.5k - 3k RPM's, but because I go from 1st to 3rd and then 3rd to 5th when I'm not in a hurry. If coast around a corner, I'll start in 2nd and then skip to 4th and then 5th. Same shifting between 2.5k - 3k RPM's.

2. Through residential: I'm usually traveling between 25-30 MPH, slower in a Cul-de-Sac. At 30 MPH, I'll shift all the way to 5th. It's around 1,200 RPM's. Going around a wide corner at 18 - 20 MPH, I'll even start in 3rd as long as I don't have to fight to get into traffic. If I do, then I'll start in 2nd.

There are two kinds of speed bumps, the ones in the parking lots and the really shallow ones in residential. In the parking lot: It's first gear and clunking is only noticeable if I go over the speed bumps too quickly. In residential, I can slow to 20 MPH in 3rd and cruise over the speed bumps with no clunking.

3. At 40-45, sometimes I'm in 6th. RPM's are low (around 1,200), but I'm pretty handy with a shifter if I need to drop into a lower gear to accelerate.

4. I don't notice any skip shift restrictions at all and unaware of the issue you describe.

5. I've given my guidance on skip shifting. I have never skipped from 1st to 4th...ever. There is no exact science as when to skip shift, shift early, etc. Skipping gears will reduce the # of times you use your clutch. MPG savings are marginal for some, or more of a difference maker for others.

Redlining/Racing: It's all about practice.

1. 1st to 2nd is the easiest shift for me. I hit 2nd so hard that it lights up the tires all the way through 2nd gear. I have to let off the gas for traction in 2nd gear under these conditions. 2nd to 3rd is more of a challenge. But it's all about practice and knowing your car.

2. Practice...it's all about practice.

Other questions:

1. Yes, a shiftlight will help. Although, with a bit of practice you won't need one. I used to have a 5 spd Dakota, 2wd, 5.2 w/3.91 gears and a 4 spd 360 Duster, neither had shift lights. I got a lot of practice between these two cars.

2. I can't comment on this. No experience here.

3. A shifter may help. But practicing with the stock shifter and learning the car first would be a better idea and then swapping to an aftermarket shifter. I am contemplating an aftermarket shifter myself. I didn't need one on my '07 GT. But the 2nd to 3rd shift in the '12 is giving me a bit more trouble under WOT.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 PM
ihavefat
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
This is what I do, but your answers will probably vary wildly.

Daily Driving - in order of the questions you asked.

1. I usually shift between 2.5k - 3k RPM's, but because I go from 1st to 3rd and then 3rd to 5th when I'm not in a hurry. If coast around a corner, I'll start in 2nd and then skip to 4th and then 5th. Same shifting between 2.5k - 3k RPM's.

2. Through residential: I'm usually traveling between 25-30 MPH, slower in a Cul-de-Sac. At 30 MPH, I'll shift all the way to 5th. It's around 1,200 RPM's. Going around a wide corner at 18 - 20 MPH, I'll even start in 3rd as long as I don't have to fight to get into traffic. If I do, then I'll start in 2nd.

There are two kinds of speed bumps, the ones in the parking lots and the really shallow ones in residential. In the parking lot: It's first gear and clunking is only noticeable if I go over the speed bumps too quickly. In residential, I can slow to 20 MPH in 3rd and cruise over the speed bumps with no clunking.

3. At 40-45, sometimes I'm in 6th. RPM's are low (around 1,200), but I'm pretty handy with a shifter if I need to drop into a lower gear to accelerate.

4. I don't notice any skip shift restrictions at all and unaware of the issue you describe.

5. I've given my guidance on skip shifting. I have never skipped from 1st to 4th...ever. There is no exact science as when to skip shift, shift early, etc. Skipping gears will reduce the # of times you use your clutch. MPG savings are marginal for some, or more of a difference maker for others.

Redlining/Racing: It's all about practice.

1. 1st to 2nd is the easiest shift for me. I hit 2nd so hard that it lights up the tires all the way through 2nd gear. I have to let off the gas for traction in 2nd gear under these conditions. 2nd to 3rd is more of a challenge. But it's all about practice and knowing your car.

2. Practice...it's all about practice.

Other questions:

1. Yes, a shiftlight will help. Although, with a bit of practice you won't need one. I used to have a 5 spd Dakota, 2wd, 5.2 w/3.91 gears and a 4 spd 360 Duster, neither had shift lights. I got a lot of practice between these two cars.

2. I can't comment on this. No experience here.

3. A shifter may help. But practicing with the stock shifter and learning the car first would be a better idea and then swapping to an aftermarket shifter. I am contemplating an aftermarket shifter myself. I didn't need one on my '07 GT. But the 2nd to 3rd shift in the '12 is giving me a bit more trouble under WOT.
Thank you for such a detailed response!!

Just a few questions Lol:

What do you mean when you say your '12 is giving you a bit of trouble for 2nd and 3rd shift under WOT?

I completely agree with you when you say PRACTICE is the key. But could you provide some insight on how? I know it sounds silly but I would really appreciate any kind of tips/guides. After my failed attempt at redlining (couldn't shift to 2nd for some reason), I have been try. For example, I would shift 4k. Then 5k. Is this the way to do it?

I think I understand how skipping shifts work now. I really do think I just need to practice and really learn how my car works. I don't even turn on the radio anymore because I listen to the car to see if the gear I am is wrong or whatever.