Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.
View Poll Results: Pick your poison
Automatic 5 speed
24.31%
manual 5 speed
75.69%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Automatic vs. manual

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 03:23 PM
josh87

manual ALL THE WAY! its ALOT more fun. That was one thing I had to have for my car. When I think mustang it should be a V8 and a manual, but that is what I think. I love my car
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Wow this thread has really blown up!
Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

When I was searching for my car, automatic wasn't an option. My previous 98 v6 was an auto, and it was no fun to drive. So I was intent on getting a stick!

So much more fun to drive. I don't commute much most days, so the "tired after work" doesn't apply to me. Sometimes wish I had a 6th gear for when I do drive long distances.

And I've been to the strip
Old 03-18-2012, 08:53 PM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

Manual all the way. A sports car like a Porsche or a muscle car such as a Mustang shouldn't have auto in my opinion. Manual is just right for the car. Its always more fun to drive too!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Into more of the same, lol.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM
00gGT

Originally Posted by Young_Gun
I can shift just as fast as those automatics when I'm on an adrenaline rush.
From a dig those manuels aren't all that good.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:34 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by warnerwh
If you want control of your car going through curves whether street or track it has to be a manual for the best control and speed. I can't imagine having a performance car like the Mustang with an automatic.
F1 would disagree with you, as all those transmissions shift themselves. They do still have clutches, though.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:54 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by essayons
F1 would disagree with you, as all those transmissions shift themselves. They do still have clutches, though.
Here we go again... LOL

The automatics that are found in Mustangs (with torque converters) are very different from the automated manuals transmissions used in F1. Other cars that use similar automated manuals are Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc... the transmissions in these cars still give the driver complete control over which gear is selected without the use of a clutch pedal, but gear selection is still manual and most provide throttle blipping when downshifting to keep control in the twisties.

I will order my Aston Martin V8 Vantage with the paddles (automated manual).
Old 03-20-2012, 09:28 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
Here we go again... LOL

The automatics that are found in Mustangs (with torque converters) are very different from the automated manuals transmissions used in F1. Other cars that use similar automated manuals are Ferrari, Aston Martin, Porsche, etc... the transmissions in these cars still give the driver complete control over which gear is selected without the use of a clutch pedal, but gear selection is still manual and most provide throttle blipping when downshifting to keep control in the twisties.

I will order my Aston Martin V8 Vantage with the paddles (automated manual).
I completely agree. Ferrari discovered in the 90s, though, that a race car driver had more to think about than a conscious decision about what gear to constantly be in, but they didn't want the severe limitations of a torque converter. So they kept the manual transmission and made it shift itself, thereby allowing the driver to focus on the million other things going on around him.

To say that a performance car needs to have a manual transmission with three pedals, though, is just ignorant. I know people here love their mustangs, but I don't think anyone is on that level of performance. If the dual-clutch manuals with only two pedals are good enough for F1, they're good enough for me.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:46 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
I agree , who started this shlt anyways........aw, ***, that would be me

Quick Reply: Automatic vs. manual