Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

To those with a rear end gear swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 AM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

Default To those with a rear end gear swap

I was hoping to get better educated on the rear end gear ring and pinion swap.

I have a 2012 5.0, stock 3.31 gears. I am thinking I'd like to go to 3.73...it would have been on the car if I had ordered it. I have a couple of questions:

1. Have most of you used an aftermarket speed shop or the dealership to do it for you?

2. Who is making the best gearsets now? Ford Racing? I'd like to have strength

3. Have any of you upgaded the carrier/differential at the same time?

4. What kind of PCM considerations would I have? Must I buy a programmer just to reset the gear calibration to get the speedo and mileage correct???

5. For those that remember, what was your parts list to do the job?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:43 PM
MurrietaStang

I had mine changed 3 different times from 2 different shops (not the dealership). The first time I went with 4.10s and it whined. had the shop do the install again at no cost and it still whined. These guys were known for doing this too and even had an article in one of the mustang mags on it. Then tried 3.73s at another shop and the whine isn't as bad but, it does whine a little around 60 to 70 mph. All three times the shops said they used the FRPP gears, not motive. If I end up rolling the dice again and trying another set I'd probably just get the Boss302 rear axle assembly which comes with 3.73s, better traction lok diff, and 31 spline axles. That and it's a new assembly, mine is all rusted all over the place. I believe FRPP still makes the best gears but, you have to make sure you're not getting the FRPP gears that were made by Motive. You will need to get a tuner to recalibrate the gear ratio.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

I upgraded my 7.5 to 3.73s and T-lok. I ordered the Ford Racing gear kit from StangMods and it's been rock solid. No noises at all. For the installation I went to a speed shop which specializes in Mustangs. The only thing I did was change the gear oil after a thousand miles - I used Royal Purple. No complaints here.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by albino_coyote

I have a 2012 5.0, stock 3.31 gears. I am thinking I'd like to go to 3.73...it would have been on the car if I had ordered it. I have a couple of questions:

1. Have most of you used an aftermarket speed shop or the dealership to do it for you?
I used a mechanic that did rear ends for ford. I recommend a speed shop.
I've had gears in two and used ford both times.
3. Have any of you upgraded the carrier/differential at the same time?
The installer did not recommend replacing anything else due to mileage; 25K. My last car I put gears in a 120K and replaced all seals/bearing.
4. What kind of PCM considerations would I have? Must I buy a programmer just to reset the gear calibration to get the speedo and mileage correct???
I would recommend just getting the SCT from AM and use the free Bama tunes for life. You can buy a speed recalibration tool... but is that all you want? If so, I would not even but that... who cares how fast you're going

[B]I've read and heard it's a hard job for a newbie. I have not attempted to do this job, so I cannot comment.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:49 PM
albino_coyote
1st Gear Member

Thanks for these comments. You are right, the tuning won't stop with gears...but just want to keep the install cost effective as possible....the tax refund only goes so far if you know what I mean!
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM
dymd3z

Default Mustang Gear

Hey, I was just curious if you have found a shop in Birmingham, AL who could install a ring gear in the mustang? I am trying to find someone in Birmingham who does quality work and able to install a 410 gear in my Mustang. If you could please let me know I would highly appreciate it.
Thanks

Originally Posted by albino_coyote

3. Have any of you upgaded the carrier/differential at the same time?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 PM
tx_zstang
5th Gear Member

Find a good EXPERIENCED shop, or a ford dealer with an experienced tech.
There's a proper procedure for properly installing a set of gears, and a lot of shops don't follow those steps and end up with noisy gears or early failures. You dont want that.
(ask how they install the pinion nut, about preload, etc. If they just impact the pinion nut on, go somewhere else. period.)

FRPP gears are still the only ones I use. They can be a little whiney at certain speeds, depending on exact backlash ring gear during install.