MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   Are there any good aftermarket coin-on-plugs? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/664403-are-there-any-good-aftermarket-coin-on-plugs.html)

moosestang 02-16-2012 07:33 PM

Are there any good aftermarket coin-on-plugs?

I had the accels for over 1 year and they crapped out on me. I'm pretty sure my stock ones are going now. It probably didn't help they were sitting in a box for over a year.

I'm very reluctant to buy any aftermarket ones, but I'm also reluctant to spend $37 each for the motorcraft.

I'm tempted to buy a full set of oem replacements on ebay just to help diagnose my rough acceleration. I'm sure they would fail prematurely though.

S197GT07 02-17-2012 08:40 AM

I have 0 experience here, but I've heard good things about the Weapon X ones.

Just a thought.

Goldenpony 02-17-2012 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by moosestang (Post 7842951)
I had the accels for over 1 year and they crapped out on me. I'm pretty sure my stock ones are going now. It probably didn't help they were sitting in a box for over a year.

I'm very reluctant to buy any aftermarket ones, but I'm also reluctant to spend $37 each for the motorcraft.

I'm tempted to buy a full set of oem replacements on ebay just to help diagnose my rough acceleration. I'm sure they would fail prematurely though.

What year Mustang? V8? If you're looking for 1 piece plugs, a lot of us have good luck with the #7989 Champions. Double platinum for long life. I've got over 50K miles on a set and still running great. Best price is probably Rock Auto.

stephen1371 02-17-2012 11:21 AM

i was told the weapon x is worse than your stock coils, that to only keep using stock coils

tx_zstang 02-17-2012 01:07 PM

I'm using stockers, as they've been reported to be the most reliable.
And I'm on boost and a built engine, pushing them to their limits. :)

Derf00 02-17-2012 01:10 PM

What did you do with the old OEM ones? For the most part the COP parts are probably the last thing you would ever upgrade on these cars, even a modded one. Ford made those parts pretty much bullet proof from the factory.

Simon1 02-17-2012 11:19 PM

I still have original coils. Every tuner and shop says stay OEM. What's with the rough running you mentioned?

Diabolical! 02-18-2012 12:11 AM

My results with GMS coils are well documented, so I'll leave that alone. My tuner won't stock or install aftermarket coils FWIW.

ironh19 02-18-2012 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Goldenpony (Post 7843597)
What year Mustang? V8? If you're looking for 1 piece plugs, a lot of us have good luck with the #7989 Champions. Double platinum for long life. I've got over 50K miles on a set and still running great. Best price is probably Rock Auto.

He's talking about the COPS not the plugs. and here I was thinking about going to MSD after doing the E3 swap, guess I will stick with what I got.

hawkeye18 02-18-2012 09:17 AM

I would rather fold my money into paper airplanes, fly it off a bridge, and watch it do what it was intended to do than spend it on Accel products. They are complete and total garbage. I'm amazed you got one year out of them.

The Coyote's COP system seems a lot like the old SHO's ignition system - more than adequate for anything anybody's been able to throw at it so far. Get stockers, throw them on, and stop worrying about it.