Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Roush vs. Boss on top gear

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
You talking about BBC America Top Gear or Top Gear America? I can't stand Top Gear America with Tanner. I like Tanner but the few times i stopped to watch the show for a few mintues, the chemistry was forced and they tried to make it too much like BBC America Top Gear.
It was the American Top Gear. I like the other BBC American version much better. I only watched it because the show was about Mustangs and muscle cars.

I thought part of the Roush mustang was ALSO a suspension upgrade? (I could be wrong) If the Roush does get an upgrade on suspension its obviously not even close it as good as what goes into the Boss. The race was VERY close....but for the Boss to give up 100 HP and still be faster.... that says a lot about the suspension to me.

For me, I like to get up and go QUICK, as well as being able to punch it on the highway and take off....so, I still like the idea of a supercharger down the road.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM
Minion
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankeehick5.0
I was really looking forward to this episode. The only decent segment was the boss vs roush. If they wanted to compare the 3 muscle cars (5.0, Camaro SS, and Challenger SRT8) then they should have executed solid tests like straight line, track and breaking and not some f*$k a@# cone course while strapped to a electromagnetic TENS unit. I really wanted to see the true difference of the 2012 muscle car line-up. However, Tanner drifting around that corner in the Utah desert was absolutely sick!
I agree with ALL of this. the tests were kinda lame. I would like to of seen real solid tests myself. A road course in a drive in theater while being shocked is entertaining but its not very accurate. And the Camaro didn't even get to do the top speed test because a plastic piece that fell off. I would rather watch Motor Trend because they will do solid tests and tell you who the clear winner would be.

Lastly, that 100 foot or so drift was amazing!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:23 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

From what Ive read, the suspension on the older Roush models exceeds what they put on the new models. So from that, my 07 RS3 has better suspension than a 12 RS3... makes no sense to me..lol
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Sand4u
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion
I agree with ALL of this. the tests were kinda lame. I would like to of seen real solid tests myself. A road course in a drive in theater while being shocked is entertaining but its not very accurate. And the Camaro didn't even get to do the top speed test because a plastic piece that fell off. I would rather watch Motor Trend because they will do solid tests and tell you who the clear winner would be.

Yeah, all of their "tests" seem to be about entertainment/goof value, not about actual results. Even the "drag race" had them using older cars (which would have been very cool to actually see the differences in performance) for half of the race and then running to the new car to switch halfway.

It seemed like they were just being very careful not to make any of the manufacturers angry, ending it with a convenient three way tie.....
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Whiskey11
Mustang and Camaro = Pony Cars, Challenger = Muscle car. The Boss 302 (new and classic) and pretty much all modern GT's have gained a lot of notoriety on the road course and to be honest drag races are not entertaining to watch which explains why it's not on a show designed for entertainment. I would rather see tests around a skid pad, autocross course (some f*$k a@# cone course) and road course than a 1/4 mile test.

As for needing trick and built suspension to participate on a roadcourse, hardly. A stock 2005+ GT handles quite well on a roadcourse in stock trim. It's biggest limiting factor is the tires and that is true for a drag race too.
Pony vs Muscle. Yes I knew this. But thanks anyway. Wasn't trying to be that technical.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Whiskey11
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Minion

MotorTrend is notorious for skewing tests of cars to fit specific manufaturers. See ZL1 vs Boss302 LS where they set the suspension to full stiff on the Boss and ran the test at 5k feet like it didn't matter.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:22 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

That show was awful, those dudes reminded me of my friends I take my car around that don't know **** about cars. If you wanna get a supercharger on your car "Top Gear" is the last thing that should be in your decision making process. In all reality these cars are getting so fast that in a strait line for a 1/4 mile they are all close enough that too me it doesn't matter......it's really how you what you want. That said I love my car..lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:59 PM
stephen1371
2nd Gear Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFRFVyDIxDo
i found this shows the roush track pak as the faster of the two
Old 02-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Boondoggie
1st Gear Member

I love TopGear, both US and UK, as entertainment... they're not unbiased automotive journalism. The US version is finding its way just like The Office (another US copy of a UK show) did... heck season 1 of TopGear UK was just as poor.

As for the "tests"... they were carefully scripted to give a win to each of the "Big Three" carmakers and offend nobody.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 PM
Biceps
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Boondoggie
I love TopGear, both US and UK, as entertainment... they're not unbiased automotive journalism. The US version is finding its way just like The Office (another US copy of a UK show) did... heck season 1 of TopGear UK was just as poor.

As for the "tests"... they were carefully scripted to give a win to each of the "Big Three" carmakers and offend nobody.
Agreed 100%.

I really enjoy the American version of Top Gear, and love the British version too. I had been waiting for them to do an episode like this for a long time. I thought it was a lot of fun to watch, had a lot of great laughs, and LOVED it when Tanner drifted that boss around the curve on the Utah dessert highway.

This episode was like muscle car **** to me.

I also thought it was funnier than hell when they had the electrodes hooked up to them. LOL!

Quick Reply: Roush vs. Boss on top gear