Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What to get for $3000 in parts...

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Default What to get for $3000 in parts...

Just sitting here making my wishlist... and realistically, I'll be able to spend around $3000...

What I'd like is, LT, CAI/Tune, Exhaust, Driveshaft, lowering springs... 1/4 window scoops and lowering springs...

What I got so far, (All from AM)

Steeda CAI/Tune = $740

Pypes Long Tube headers & shorty X pipe = $1045

Pypes Pype-Bomb cat back exhaust = $550

And that's pretty much the budget for $3000 as it comes to $3090.

Out of all the parts I named, are there different brands for a little cheaper or different websites?

I know it'll be a little cheaper when I buy due to military discount.. but Im thinking it wont be much.

Help me out guys!

Thanks!

Last edited by BeitzelGT; 02-27-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:02 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

WTF on those headers dude.

My ARH were far less than that. I understand its a bit of apples to oranges due to the 5.0, but that seems really high.

Will you be doing the work yourself?

Last edited by S197GT07; 02-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:11 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
WTF on those headers dude.

My ARH were far less than that. I understand its a bit of apples to oranges due to the 5.0, but that seems really high.

Will you be doing the work yourself?
SLP headers... i know their stuff is on the high side, even their axle backs are high but sound AMAZING...

I can do everything but install the headers.

If I go with pypes LT and their catted shorty x pipe, it cuts it down to $1045

Will a regular cat back work with a shorty x pipe?

So that frees up $800.....

Which would allow me to get the drive shaft, or I could go with my lowering springs, 1/4 window side scoops, smoked tail light and headlight covers...

Which would be the best option there?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:15 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I'm a 4.6 guy, but usually the midpipe length is just determined by the headers. So a longtube header needs a shorty midpipe, they don't affect the "cat back" part you're talking about.

I havent heard to much stuff with the 4.6 crowd about the SLP stuff, but if you want the best I'd look into the ARH for your 5.0, looks to be around $1500 for the headers and matching catted midpipe.

What are you going to use the car for the most? If you just want to thrash it around I would suggest you ditch the headers, and go for some suspension upgrades instead.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

I'm a 4.6 guy, but usually the midpipe length is just determined by the headers. So a longtube header needs a shorty midpipe, they don't affect the "cat back" part you're talking about.

I havent heard to much stuff with the 4.6 crowd about the SLP stuff, but if you want the best I'd look into the ARH for your 5.0, looks to be around $1500 for the headers and matching catted midpipe.

What are you going to use the car for the most? If you just want to thrash it around I would suggest you ditch the headers, and go for some suspension upgrades instead.
DD until it's paid off, then it will be a side project/weekend car...

My main concern upfront will be sound, speed and then handling. From what i hear, it handles pretty good stock so I'd rather get the exhaust work done first.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeitzelGT
DD until it's paid off, then it will be a side project/weekend car...

My main concern upfront will be sound, speed and then handling. From what i hear, it handles pretty good stock so I'd rather get the exhaust work done first.
I would get a set of axlebacks to get you on the sound part. The intake and tuner combo is a good start as well for the speed.

The headers just kill your budget, thats all man. You're looking at 1k in parts, then the labor to do it as well! Go for a good shock/strut combo (Hell, maybe even coilovers) and DIY.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

I would get a set of axlebacks to get you on the sound part. The intake and tuner combo is a good start as well for the speed.

The headers just kill your budget, thats all man. You're looking at 1k in parts, then the labor to do it as well! Go for a good shock/strut combo (Hell, maybe even coilovers) and DIY.
I've seen where people said they were seeing anywhere from 17whp to 25whp gains from LT's?

So, if I decide to run axle backs and X pipe, would getting the Alum. Drive shaft instead of headers?
Old 02-27-2012, 12:32 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Not to keen on the LT gains for the 5.0, so I'm not going to speculate.

If you do an O/R X and axlebacks, the DS is a good upgrade too, but I think you'll notice a bigger difference with the suspension mods.

My point of view here is you already have enough HP to get into trouble, and way to much for stock rubber anyway. The stock suspension is nice, but no-where near a good set of struts/springs or coilovers.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

Not to keen on the LT gains for the 5.0, so I'm not going to speculate.

If you do an O/R X and axlebacks, the DS is a good upgrade too, but I think you'll notice a bigger difference with the suspension mods.

My point of view here is you already have enough HP to get into trouble, and way to much for stock rubber anyway. The stock suspension is nice, but no-where near a good set of struts/springs or coilovers.
Oh yeah man, not trying to argue with you.. I agree but at the same time, Im the type of guy who wants to squeeze a little more power out of the engine haha.

Does just replacing the X pipe give gains?

Im looking at Fords Racing Handling Pack since it comes with everything, but its almost $1300. I wonder if the Eibach kit is just as good, its got the same parts but is about $400 less.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:44 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BeitzelGT
Oh yeah man, not trying to argue with you.. I agree but at the same time, Im the type of guy who wants to squeeze a little more power out of the engine haha.

Does just replacing the X pipe give gains?

Im looking at Fords Racing Handling Pack since it comes with everything, but its almost $1300. I wonder if the Eibach kit is just as good, its got the same parts but is about $400 less.
Oh, I never considered one of your responses as arguing!

I think the FRPP stuff is going to be a bit overpriced for what it is, I'm sure the Eibach stuff is really good. I've heard of some pretty good gains on the 5.0's with an O/R pipe and the tune to compensate for it, so I'd throw that on your list for sure.

Quick Reply: What to get for $3000 in parts...