Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Help - knocking and one code

Old 04-26-2022, 07:27 PM
shawngrim46

Default Help - knocking and one code

I have a 2008 mustang gt automatic (had for a few months)

Whenever I ride in 1-2-3 for awhile my motor starts knocking but whenever I cut off the car for 10-30 seconds and turn it back on the car runs fine.

My altenator is going bad!

What could this be?

I have replaced

VVT Solenoids,

Camshaft position sensors

Coil packs

spark plugs
Old 04-27-2022, 02:55 AM
Dino Dino Bambino
4th Gear Member

Have you scanned the ECU for fault codes?
A video of the engine running with the knock might be helpful.
We need more detail 'cause your description is too vague to make a diagnosis over the internet.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:49 AM
shawngrim46

Originally Posted by Dino Dino Bambino
Have you scanned the ECU for fault codes?
A video of the engine running with the knock might be helpful.
We need more detail 'cause your description is too vague to make a diagnosis over the internet.
The only code ive ever gotten from the knocking was P0316 And it only happened once when i had to drive with the knock to move out the road to cut off my car, Whenever it happens I instantly shut my car off because it sounds like my motor is going to explode. If I can catch a video of it i will post it, Just dont like it running with the knock because it sounds terrible.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:36 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Seems like You have a misfire and yes those can sound like knocking. P0316 is usually coil or coil circuit related. (P0306 would be mechanical).

Did any of your plugs look really oily or just black when you replaced them?

Swap the coil in cylinder 6 with one of the coils from another cylinder. Clear the codes and drive it until you get that sound/feeling. Does the code follow the coil? If it doesn’t, then most likely something is wrong with the wires going to that coil. If the code follows the coil then you have a bad coil.

Hopefully you bought a name brand coil (motorcraft, Bosch, standard etc). Duralast or other no name brands are junk.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:50 AM
JimC

I added to your title - just posting "help" doesn't really elicit many responses because people will skip over that type of header. And for later searches "help" doesn't do anything for a search for an issue.
Old 04-27-2022, 07:00 AM
shawngrim46

Originally Posted by JimC
I added to your title - just posting "help" doesn't really elicit many responses because people will skip over that type of header. And for later searches "help" doesn't do anything for a search for an issue.
Okay thank you, Im new and wasnt sure (:!
Old 04-27-2022, 07:01 AM
shawngrim46

Originally Posted by Derf00
Seems like You have a misfire and yes those can sound like knocking. P0316 is usually coil or coil circuit related. (P0306 would be mechanical).

Did any of your plugs look really oily or just black when you replaced them?

Swap the coil in cylinder 6 with one of the coils from another cylinder. Clear the codes and drive it until you get that sound/feeling. Does the code follow the coil? If it doesn’t, then most likely something is wrong with the wires going to that coil. If the code follows the coil then you have a bad coil.

Hopefully you bought a name brand coil (motorcraft, Bosch, standard etc). Duralast or other no name brands are junk.

I bought some type of flame masters coils that retail like 13 a piece from autozone, Does it matter if the connector clip to the coils are broken?
Old 04-27-2022, 07:02 AM
shawngrim46

Originally Posted by shawngrim46
I bought some type of flame masters coils that retail like 13 a piece from autozone, Does it matter if the connector clip to the coils are broken?
And they were dry and black
Old 04-27-2022, 07:11 AM
shawngrim46

And they were dry and black
My bad it was 37.99 and which would be cylinder 6? Been awhile since ive looked at the firing order
Old 05-02-2022, 05:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Was the coil clip to cylinder 6 broken before or after the replacement? It's possible if the clip was already broken, that's the problem and replacing the coil did nothing. I have broken clips on mine too but don't have misfires. There should be a rubber seal inside the connector that does a pretty good job of holding the connector on without issue. If the oring is missing, it will not have a good connection and can cause problems.

#1 cylinder on ford RWD is almost always passenger side closest to radiator.. 5 is Drivers side closest to radiator. This is correct for Mustangs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - knocking and one code