Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

What are the best parts/mods for mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 08:43 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

There is nothing wrong in wanting to get the best fuel economy possible when gas prices head north. Obviously when you purchase a Mustang GT, you are aware that you won't get fuel economy as good as a Prius. But who wants to drive a Prius? I want to drive a Mustang GT!

If you commute a lot of miles every day, there are mods that will (slightly) help fuel economy. They have already been mentioned in this thread, but modifying driving habits while on the commute will help the most.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:38 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Anything that allows the engine to run with less effort will increase mpg's. Sadly it will also increase power and sound, and if you get into it all the time your mpg's will suffer.

I get around 18 all city, sometimes 17 if I drive like a bat out of hell. I am 100% stock though. I have a gt/cs rear bumper in the attic, and will spring for an axleback to complete the rear. Neither will increase mpg, or power. Just cause better looks and better sound.

If I go for power increases I would like to go supercharged. Which strangely enough doesn't affect mpg's that much, unless you are always in it.

I was playing with the idea of putting a "Fossil fuels are yummy" sticker under my license plate. But that is like inviting greenies to key or otherwise mess with your car.

We will see 5 bucks a gallon for 87 here in Texas. I don't care though. I spend one gallon to get to and from work. I can drive a old musclecar with half the mpg and still not be phased. And that is on a retail stooge salary mind you. I just buy a couple of DVD's less, or forego that video game. And yes, I do own a home and have a child.

If gas prices are bothering you it's because you don't want to give up the poser baller lifestyle. Grow up, stop buying **** you don't need, ans see how much money you save. And how much gas you can afford.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

A 10-speed bike...

Even IF you could find mods that improved fuel mileage, the best you might gain is about 2 MPG. Driving habits and location will gain you more than any mods. Besides, even if you do find a mod that has a modest gain, the payback time is usually years.

Hand calculate your mileage at every fill-up and make note of whatever you do to the car. The problem about tracking fuel mileage is that each tank can have different BTU's. Ethanol content can wreak havoc on fuel mileage alone.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
A 10-speed bike...

Even IF you could find mods that improved fuel mileage, the best you might gain is about 2 MPG. Driving habits and location will gain you more than any mods. Besides, even if you do find a mod that has a modest gain, the payback time is usually years.

Hand calculate your mileage at every fill-up and make note of whatever you do to the car. The problem about tracking fuel mileage is that each tank can have different BTU's. Ethanol content can wreak havoc on fuel mileage alone.
I've got about 5,000 gallons of off road fuel. We use it on the golf course for equipment. I know it isn't legal per say - but - is there any harm in running it/mixing it with regular fuel till normal gas comes down?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Off road fuel???
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Only type of off-road fuel i've heard of is Diesel that isn't taxed. It's designed farm use, but you can use it anywhere off public roads/highways, it's dyed red.

yeah throw some of that in your mustang see how well that works...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Only type of off-road fuel i've heard of is Diesel that isn't taxed. It's designed farm use, but you can use it anywhere off public roads/highways, it's dyed red.

yeah throw some of that in your mustang see how well that works...
Exactly why I'm asking here before I do something stupid...
Old 03-02-2012, 06:55 PM
EZrider73

I use the Versa mod for my DD driving. Yes even my v6 vert is my joy ride car. Mind you i had a 1956 F-100 with a 427 CJ 4v. You could eat a 1/4 tank just driving around the block. Way too much power.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Anything that increases the efficiency of the engine will increase MPG given the same driving style.

Weight reduction, UDPs, lighter driveshaft, lighter wheels, more free-flowing exhaust and intake, etc... they will all help you gain mileage. A tune will help, depending on HOW YOU USE IT.

If you have a manual, skip gears, and shift early.

Beyond that... you bought a 400+hp muscle car, dude. If you really wanted MPGs, you should've bought a Civic.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Vanwall

purchase an Ultra-gauge. Connects to obdII port and displays instant mpg and *** mpg plus other info.

google ultra gauge for a link.

I just orderd one to check it out.

Quick Reply: What are the best parts/mods for mpg?