Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Who bought a base model so they could mod?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
NickSezz
4th Gear Member

I test drove both the premium first and then a base. I honestly felt more at home in the base. Seemed like there was less clutter in the cabin, or maybe it just reminded me of my base 05 V6... Either way the idea of having a brand new 5.0 for 25k after rebates was very, very appealing to say the least. I can live without all of the other stuff.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

The premium is just about the interior (at least it was in the 05-09s). I felt the base (deluxe) model's interior looked and felt cheap - too much black plastic. I chose the premium model, the IUP with the premier trim package to get the nicer interior; which had the leather seats, the two tone black and tan interior, the aluminum dash panel, the leather stitched dash, the aluminum pedals and shift ****, the Shaker 500 (not the greatest, but the door subs rock!). My car also came with the ambient lighting (which is cool), HID headlights, and the active alarm system which help gave the car a more up scale feel.

As you can see from my sig, I still modded away!
Old 03-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Acerbus 2.0
2nd Gear Member

If i knew back in 2008 what i know about mustangs now, I would have bought a base model and put on a Saleen or Roush bodykit/wheels and mods. But I'm quite happy with my GT California Extra Special.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:46 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I bought a base 2007 model, but it had an interior upgrade package (better dash, leather wrapped steering wheel, my color) cloth seats still and a shaker 500.

I wanted the Sync system in the new one though, and after being in person and seeing/feeling the difference between the base model and the premium I had to get the premium, just so much more comfortable and nice looking, and the shaker 500 is a good enough sound system for me, ive had better but I dont need to lose anymore hearing. And I love the MyColor stuff, especially with the interior lighting now too... Basically I got the premium so I wouldn't need to upgrade anything.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:52 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

So, is the security package really an "option" in the year 2012?!

If I dont get it, my car will have no alarm system what so ever? Seems like that should be standard by now.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:55 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

no the security package i believe adds in the alarm if its being towed and the locking wheel lugs or whatever you call them, keyed wheel lugs? You might want to look it up.

Standard an alarm will sound if there is movement in the car when the doors are locked with the FOB, which is why you cant lock them when you are sitting inside using the FOB.

There is no active alarm for these cars as an option (the type that goes off if you get near it or touch the car or someone drives by it with loud exhaust or stereo) that I know of.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:57 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

So they all will have some sort of security alarm?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yep, if you want to see how well it works go to the dealership and roll down the window on one and lock it with the FOB, then reach into the car... it should go off. standard on all mustangs or atleast the v8s, maybe the v6s too i dunno, never owned one.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:03 PM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

If the base car you get doesn't have it, then you can add an aftermarket one. Wasn't that the point of getting a base car? So you can add your own mods? LOL
Old 03-09-2012, 11:09 PM
a_lopez1975
4th Gear Member

With the knowledge I possess not, probally would have went with the base model..

Quick Reply: Who bought a base model so they could mod?