Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

New Member Looking to Pick Up a 2011/2012 GT (First Mustang Ever) Have ?s!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Sython

Arrow New Member Looking to Pick Up a 2011/2012 GT (First Mustang Ever) Have ?s!

Hi there,

I have been lurking this forum for quite some time and decided to sign up now that things are nearing reality. I have been reading up on the newer 2011 Mustangs and I have narrowed my search down to a brembo, premium trim, 6-speed 5.0 sold near me and waiting for a 2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe Track package.

I am leaning more towards the Mustang because long term I know it will be much cheaper to own, maintain, and modify.

Also, this will be the first time in a long time I've bought a vehicle in this price range. Most of the time I have bought cars <$10k with the exception of three cars. I feel like on those 3 instances I bought from the dealer I did a poor job negotiating, do you all have any tips? The 2011 GT I found has about 18k miles on it and is being sold for $29k, but like I said earlier, it has:

Brembos
Yellow Blaze Metallic ($500 option I think)
Premium Trim package
Comfort package (heated leather)
New Tires (They don't look like P-Zeros)
Manual gearbox
Hood scoop
Not sure of gear ratio out back.
No mods from what I can see in the pictures

This will be the most expensive car I have ever considered, so I want to make sure I get this right!

Another thing, this would be my FIRST Mustang ever.

To give you an idea on my past cars: I had a 1997 T-Bird with the 4.6L from the SN95 (yes the bad NPI motor) that I did some bolt-ons , but I know that definitely doesn't compare. Also, I have owned several Hondas, a BMW, and a few GMs. I have no bias when it comes to brand. I just enjoy cars.

To tell you what little Mustang experience I have: I drove a couple New Edge Mustangs (modded GT / modded Terminator) with the ultra-stiff cable clutch and a 2005 V6 with the newer hydraulic clutch setup.

So for those who are thinking TL;DR:
  • Looking to buy first Mustang ever.
  • Tips for negotiating a car like this? Again, I'm not the best negotiator and really need to sharpen my skills...
  • Any particular Mustang idosyncrasies that would be useful to know about? I have read the threads about the MT transmission, the #8 cylinder, etc. already. Anything else?
  • Any particular part of these cars I need to look at ASAP when test driving to determine if it is a good / bad car?
  • Does the 2011 GT employ the 1-4 skip shift and is that easy to defeat with a mod?
  • Do you all think the price is about right or too high?

Thanks for any/all help

John
Old 03-04-2012, 04:14 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

welcome to the forums.. You might wanna ask the guys in the 05 and up section of MF!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I think that you could pick up a 2012 for about the same price now that the 2013's are coming out. I like the color of the 2011 you're looking at though.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:13 PM
cali_spec_stang

I have a 2012 Mustang GT/CS (5.0 Baby) I so Love it. Mine is an automatic due to 5 & 6 speeds are getting to where they hurt my leg super bad however, being my 10th mustang and my first automatic I am very pleased with it!! The power is unreal. There has been some problems with the 6 speed manual trans though it is bad to hang up on people when accelerating even when just driving normal! Ford has been investigating it, so keep that in the back of your mind. I too believe you will be able to buy a 2012 for that price, tip for neg your price with a dealer - tell them what you are willing to pay for it (after you research it on KBB), if they don't want to work with you just walk away. If they have your number they will call you wanting you to buy it tell them your final price you are willing to pay if they don't wanna work with you - tell them to call back only when serious about the deal then just hang up on them. It works
Old 03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Sython

Thanks for the replies. Does the 2012 have any significant improvements? I know the 2013s have some major changes, but didn't think the 2012s did. Mileage is a little on the high side of what I was shooting for, but to give you an idea my current car other than my sky is a 1998 civic with 214k miles!
Old 03-04-2012, 06:22 PM
Sython

I should mention my budget is around 30k before taxes.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sython
Thanks for the replies. Does the 2012 have any significant improvements? I know the 2013s have some major changes, but didn't think the 2012s did. Mileage is a little on the high side of what I was shooting for, but to give you an idea my current car other than my sky is a 1998 civic with 214k miles!

Edited because I'm stupid.

Last edited by Jeffk; 03-05-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 PM
Sython

If I recall, the 2011 has the 5.0L engine as well. The 2010 still has the old school 4.6.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Yeah, you are right. I don't know what I was thinking.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:32 PM
Sython

It is alright man. Thanks for the help. I've found a black gt by me too with similari options and what not for the same price and 11k miles. So I have a backup if the yellow doesn't work out!

Quick Reply: New Member Looking to Pick Up a 2011/2012 GT (First Mustang Ever) Have ?s!