Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Borla exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by -rpark-
I thought the Borla's were the Mercedes of exhausts. Now you have me curious about the Corsas.

Which model of Corsa's? Extreme, Sport, etc? I'm not up on them. I'm wanting something loud, deep, and throaty. I don't like the ATAK sound that the Borlas make. It's to "raspy" for my taste.

OK, if I go the Corsa route, which x-pipe do you recommend, and is that all I need - just the axlebacks and x-pipe?

And I assume with the x-pipe and axlebacks I wont need a tune? This is something I really want to avoid.

OK, silly exhaust question...right where the manifolds come out of the engine next to the tranny, there are some large muffler looking devises. are those the cats? And then if you go a few more foot down the pipe (where it is strait) there are a couple more "glass pack" looking things. what are they?

I'm still a little confused at where the cat back systems start from on the factory exhaust...and the difference between the x pipe and h pipe and whether or not the stock system is the h pipe?
The Borla's are made extremely well, I have a set on my 3v and love them.

The way I see it, the corsa's with an X give more of a supercar sound, and the borlas give more of a musclecar sound if paired with an H.

Now regarding the tune. I know for the 3v's you didn't need one, unless you wanted to prevent the CEL from popping up. I think, however, the 4v's benefit MUCH more from an O/R pipe and a tune. I would definitely invest in getting a tuner and some tunes for the car man, it'll wake it up for sure.

To your "Silly" question. Yes, the muffler looking things are CATS. The glasspack things are resonators that the 5.0's have from the factory.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Shift
2nd Gear Member

I thought the Borla's were the Mercedes of exhausts. Now you have me curious about the Corsas.

Which model of Corsa's? Extreme, Sport, etc? I'm not up on them. I'm wanting something loud, deep, and throaty. I don't like the ATAK sound that the Borlas make. It's to "raspy" for my taste.

OK, if I go the Corsa route, which x-pipe do you recommend, and is that all I need - just the axlebacks and x-pipe?

And I assume with the x-pipe and axlebacks I wont need a tune? This is something I really want to avoid.

OK, silly exhaust question...right where the manifolds come out of the engine next to the tranny, there are some large muffler looking devises. are those the cats? And then if you go a few more foot down the pipe (where it is strait) there are a couple more "glass pack" looking things. what are they?

I'm still a little confused at where the cat back systems start from on the factory exhaust...and the difference between the x pipe and h pipe and whether or not the stock system is the h pipe?
I have the Xtreme Axlebacks and Corsa X-Pipe. Definitely check them out because after having them I will not be looking at another setup. They sound amazing and I ONLY get compliments .
Old 03-27-2012, 09:21 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Now I've been listening to some of the Rousch axlbacks which sound really good to me. They are also a little cheaper than the Borlas. Decisions...decisions.
Nominated for understatement of the year.....290 dollar (61%) price difference described as "a little cheaper".

If you buy the Roush and don't like them you can sell them very easily.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:36 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Exhaust structure is headers, catalytic converters (large muffler looking devices), mid pipe (h or x-pipe), over the axle pipes (includes the resonators or "glasspacks), and finally the axle-back mufflers.
You currently have an H-pipe. Unless you like the sound of an x-pipe there isn't a justifiable reason to purchase an x-pipe without removing the cats.

Expensive does not mean it is better, I have the gt500 axlebacks which are (or were, used to be 260, now 330) the cheapest axlebacks on the market (excluding straight pipes) and judging from the exhaust debate one of the most popular options. Sounds great, is quieter than the roush, and is cheap. If you have 800 dollars to blow on axlebacks alone you could get the gt500 or the roush and a ford racing clamp on x-pipe for under that.
Only negative I can say about the gt500s is that they are still heavy, so no weight loss with switching.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:59 AM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Exhaust structure is headers, catalytic converters (large muffler looking devices), mid pipe (h or x-pipe), over the axle pipes (includes the resonators or "glasspacks), and finally the axle-back mufflers.
You currently have an H-pipe. Unless you like the sound of an x-pipe there isn't a justifiable reason to purchase an x-pipe without removing the cats.
Gotcha...thanks for the info.

So my stock mid pipe in a h pipe. ive seen the x pipes say they delete the cats. how does this happen if they bolt on after the cats?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:11 PM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Gotcha...thanks for the info.

So my stock mid pipe in a h pipe. ive seen the x pipes say they delete the cats. how does this happen if they bolt on after the cats?

thats because it doesn't. the x or h pipe includes the cats if you have them.

headers/manifold go into the x or h pipe (which if you have cats then they are apart of this) then you get into the what people call the cat back which is just the piping that comes off the x or h pipe and runs to the axel backs which are your mufflers.

if the x pipe says it deletes the cats thats because the x pipe your buying doesn't include cats.

some x and h pipes include aftermarket high flow cats. i would recommend this route unless you want to be obnoxiously loud and you may have to anyway if you have emissions testing in your area.

since your just wanting sound don't screw with anything else and just get an axle back. go listen to a bunch of clips of JUST axle backs. see if any have what your looking for. if so pull the trigger and done deal. if not then you can go listen to clips with alter x pipes and h pipes, longtube headers, cams etc.

but if you can find a pair of axle backs that your happy with thats the cheapest and simplest way to get the sound you want.

Last edited by modru2004; 03-28-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 PM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by modru2004
thats because it doesn't. the x or h pipe includes the cats if you have them.

headers/manifold go into the x or h pipe (which if you have cats then they are apart of this) then you get into the what people call the cat back which is just the piping that comes off the x or h pipe and runs to the axel backs which are your mufflers.

if the x pipe says it deletes the cats thats because the x pipe your buying doesn't include cats.

some x and h pipes include aftermarket high flow cats. i would recommend this route unless you want to be obnoxiously loud and you may have to anyway if you have emissions testing in your area.

since your just wanting sound don't screw with anything else and just get an axle back. go listen to a bunch of clips of JUST axle backs. see if any have what your looking for. if so pull the trigger and done deal. if not then you can go listen to clips with alter x pipes and h pipes, longtube headers, cams etc.

but if you can find a pair of axle backs that your happy with thats the cheapest and simplest way to get the sound you want.
this is confusing because i just got off the phone with borla and they told me their cat back system included an x pipe and bolted up to the stock cats.

so thiers has an x pipe that does not have cats and does not delete the factory cats. from the factory cats back everything is borla.

so i guess their system with the x pipe does not delete the cats, nor contain them, but does delete the factory resonators.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I have the s-types and love them. They may be a bit more expensive than some of the others but if you have the money, to me they were worth it. I made the mistake of going through 3 different sets of exhaust on my 2007. This time I just ponied up the cash once and I have not given any thought to needing a new exhaust. They are loud but not obnoxious. I get compliments all the time from both men and women.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:43 PM
-rpark-
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by chain1
I have the s-types and love them. They may be a bit more expensive than some of the others but if you have the money, to me they were worth it. I made the mistake of going through 3 different sets of exhaust on my 2007. This time I just ponied up the cash once and I have not given any thought to needing a new exhaust. They are loud but not obnoxious. I get compliments all the time from both men and women.
catbacks or axlebacks?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:47 PM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I just went with the axle backs. I think I paid around 650 for them as soon as they were made available to the public.

Quick Reply: Borla exhaust question...