Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

big brakes that fit these oem wheels..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:28 PM
manuel86it

Default big brakes that fit these oem wheels..

sorry if the topic is similar to others but i can't find nothing, as you may know i own this wonderful my2010 gt premium in italy.
now i want to improve them, is clear that in US maybe the stock ones will be more than sufficient, but here is hell.. roads are narrower, shorter and you have to brake more. of course the things got worst when i started tuning the ecu, more power more brake need!

these are my wheels, i don't wanna put any spacers if possible, are there a kit that can be mounted with these?
i was thinking about the brembos svt, but seems that the wheels can't fit them.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Weather Man
1st Gear Member

Naw...everyone here has the same problem. I have the 18" Bullit's and picked up a set of GT500 takeoff Brembo's. I didn't want to get different wheels, so used a 1" spacer with new studs from this company: http://www.mustangwheelspacers.com/ They make the kits in various sizes, quality stuff. Figure out how much additional backspace you need and get the right kit. There are some premium wheel makers in Italy that should have an aftermarket option for you. Good luck!
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
hmoult

You have two choices for four wheel fixed piston brakes if you like. Wilwood and AP Racing. I just got a 2012 Roush with 18" wheels. I wanted bigger brakes and I did not want floating calipers that come standard with the cars (most cars). Both offer kits for front and rear that fit within my 18' wheels. Fronts are 6 piston rears are 4. I ended up with the AP Racing, but only because the Wilwood's were on back order. The APs are more costly than the Wilwoods.

The AP's have a 14.5" front rotor and just fit. They provide a template to make sure your wheels will clear the calipers before you buy them.

Understand that fitment of the rears requires some work since the axle shafts have to be pulled to attach the caliper bracket. So you need to open the rear. Not hard if you know how, or, as in my case, know a tech who knows how.

For the Wilwoods go to their website - willwood.com. For the AP Racing, I got those through Stillen.com.

I don't know what size your wheels are, 18" or 19", but odds are either kit will fit.

By the way, know anyone who wants a complete set of Mustang GT brakes? Car (and brakes) had only 38 miles on it when I took them off. Rotors, caliper, pads, becking plates, brake lines and parking brake cable.