Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Should've bought a BOSS

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 06:00 PM
yankeehick5.0
1st Gear Member

Default Should've bought a BOSS

I love my car, don't get me wrong but I'm kicking myself for not holding out on a Boss. I saw one the other day in town and it made me feel like a school boy and for a few seconds, I completely forgot I was driving a new 5.0 that is basically the same car, but not exactly at the performance level of the Boss. Does anyone else feel the same when they are driving their 5.0 and the Boss creeps up on them?

Also, I wonder if I'm as fast as the Boss with a Race Tune and the borla exhaust system I have. I would say I gained at least 50 hp with those mods which should put me around 475. Some long tube headers and that could be another 20-30 hp right?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

idk, most tune only 5.0's aroudn here put out 400-405-ish whp and adding headers and x gets you to 420-430whp. honestly, the numbers form boss 302s stock and 5.0's stock are pretty much the same from what i have seen.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I doubt you gained 50 hp with exhaust and a tune.

that being said - I don't think the boss's beauty is in it's straight line prowess. it's engine is more stout, it is built to be in the higher rev range for longer periods of time, it handles exceptionally well and puts down impressive lap times.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

To be honest it doesn't really intimidate me all that much. The power numbers are reasonably similar and if you add suspension work to the 5.0 it comes reasonably close to the boss performance wise.

Now if you wanted to upgrade to FI etc down the road, the boss has total advantage being a much better platform for expansion. But if all is stock, then in reality I don't feel there's a whole lot to get down in the dumps about.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I'd love to see a back to back / same day, same track, same driver battle of laptimes with a boss vs a 5.0 with suspension mods.

that car is dialed in as hell. I don't think it's as close as people try to make it seem. on top of that, people seem to ignore the power band, the revs, the entry/exit speed the car is capable of.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 PM
BeitzelGT
2nd Gear Member

I saw a 5.0 get dyno tuned with JLT intake, headers and full exhaust and it put down 437 to the wheels.

And you could make your 5.0 equal to a stock boss for far less than the $10,000 price difference in the cars.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

so if the boss and the GT have the same exact wheel horse power, they are equal cars, right? oh, and suspension mods. that makes them identical.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:52 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Entaille
I'd love to see a back to back / same day, same track, same driver battle of laptimes with a boss vs a 5.0 with suspension mods.

that car is dialed in as hell. I don't think it's as close as people try to make it seem. on top of that, people seem to ignore the power band, the revs, the entry/exit speed the car is capable of.
been down that road, my best lap time as a driver with 7 track days under his belt, against a driver racing for many years in a gt with the same mods my car has and coil overs, the more seasoned driver was faster by about a second than me. no other modded mustang has come close. considering that car had been corner balanced and the driver was much more advanced, i was happy. we were both on street tires. driver mod is the best money spent.

i have long said the boss is more than the sum of its parts. its not the suspension and other things on a car, it's how well they work together. there is a reason some of the best track stangs are griggs or kenny brown cars, it all works as a package.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:41 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

indeed. I wish others understood that though. I dislike seeing GT owners thinking the boss is just a few extra ponies and some random suspension components. there is a lot more to it then that.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:04 AM
808muscle
5th Gear Member

The Boss is a sweet ride no doubt, who wouldnt love to own one. So if your sufffering in your brand new fiveOh and feel incomplete, just remember you have power adjustable seats and they dont. LOL

Quick Reply: Should've bought a BOSS