Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

thinking of trading my Z for an 05 GT

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 10:01 PM
babbagandu

Default thinking of trading my Z for an 05 GT

hey everyone. i have a 2003 350z, and i will be selling it soon. one of the cars i am thinking of getting is an 05 GT. how does this car compare to the Z? i am not asking for magazine facts, but personal opinions on the car. have any of u ever raced a Z, ordo u think the gt is faster? also, how does it handle?

any advice would be appreciated. thanks
Old 09-18-2005, 11:30 PM
05sonic_bluGT
1st Gear Member

Default RE: thinking of trading my Z for an 05 GT

well... i have a 02 lightning with minor mods that runs 13.20 and the GT will hang with my truck all day... i pulled up to a G35 coupe yesterday as a matter of a fact and it was a friend of mine in his moms new car... he said he would run it up to 70... i KILLED him... like by 3... TRAIN LENGTHS... it was bad... but anyway the GT has the slp loudmouth exaust and a k&n cold air... and like i said it will almost beat my truck... so i would say that stock for stock that the GT would win... handling wise i dont know how the 350z handles but the stang compares to a camaro ss... which i traded for the lightning... just my 2cents...
Old 09-19-2005, 06:10 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I test drove a 350Z when shopping last spring and while the performance numbers are similar the driving experience is very different.
The Mustang is much bigger and feels so, has more room, and much more low rev torque. The Nissan has higher quality feel, many more accessories, and a better automatic! Since my GT's been in the shop for going on 2 weeks I've been wondering if I shouldn't have gotten a 350Z, Honda 2000 or an Acura...
Old 09-19-2005, 12:21 PM
BigSkyLLC
1st Gear Member

I also test drove a Z and agree it's a different feel. The GT has V8 muscle. It just feels better than the V6 in a raw power comparison. The Z might be built a little better but it's not an American Muscle car. I have the Eiback springs on my GT, they give a tighter, better ride more like the Z and they improve the looks. Of course it's all a matter of personal preference and interpretation.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
madmike
1st Gear Member

You mentioned Eiback springs on your GT, I would like to lower my GT and wondered if you had any problems with the Eiback's? I don't know much about suspension systems and springs, so whatever info you could provide, (pro&con), would be helpful.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:14 PM
allfyre
3rd Gear Member

The Z was high up on my list for a while and while it's a great car, the GT is definitely faster, has more torque, is larger and more comfortable, plus it looks & sounds better (IMHO). I'd say the Z has a slight edge in terms of handling, but that's about it.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
BigSkyLLC
1st Gear Member

I have the Eibach Pro Kit. I like it because it gives a firmer/tighter ride and improves the appearance. It's not real low but you still have to be careful when going over speed bumps and not to hit curbs when parking. Sometimes you get a bottoming feel if you hit a dip at speed but it's not bad at all.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:23 PM
05SonicBlue
2nd Gear Member

fwiw, i selected the '05 GT over the G35 Coupe with the brembo sport package for a few reasons.

GT is roomier

GT has a V8

GT mods are cheap, plentiful and offer good value per $
Old 09-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

What are you waiting for . Just do it.
ORIGINAL: babbagandu

hey everyone. i have a 2003 350z, and i will be selling it soon. one of the cars i am thinking of getting is an 05 GT. how does this car compare to the Z? i am not asking for magazine facts, but personal opinions on the car. have any of u ever raced a Z, ordo u think the gt is faster? also, how does it handle?

Old 09-20-2005, 01:53 AM
jt14894
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: babbagandu

I why sell the Z when you can own both?
I own both a Z and a GT and I love them.
These are my comparisons between the two.

Mustang GT

4-seater
Throaty V-8 rumble
Quicker straight line acceleration
Power feels available when you need it.
Smoothe ride
Stable at high speeds
5-speed Manual
Light clutch
Smoothe shifter
More cargo space
Mods very afforable
Spacious engine bay
Message center: AVE MPG, Gallons used, Odometer, Trip Odomoter, Distance to Empty, AVG MPH, MyColor settings
Value for the money
Classic retro style
Regular Unleaded for best performance
Insuranc:e 6-month premium $406.80

350Z

2-seater
Ricer killing V-6 rumble
Good Acceleration
Better handling/cornering
Stiffer suspension
Very stable at high speeds
6-speed manual
Light clutch
Short throw shifter
Tight engine bay.
Mods more expensive:
$1000+ for NISMO exhaust
$3300+ for NISMO wheels
Trip computer: Speed indicator, Air Temp, Dist to Empty, AVG MPG/MPH, Elapsed time/Trip Odo, Stopwatch, Tire PSI, Upshift indicator, MPH.
Affordable
Retro style
Requires Super Unleaded for best performance
Insurance: 6-month premium $331.70

That's all I can think of, but if you have anything that you want to ask, let me know.
Best of luck to you!

Quick Reply: thinking of trading my Z for an 05 GT