MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   GT S197 General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion-49/)
-   -   best tuner for my jlt cai and rev limiter on 2006 mustang gt (https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s197-general-discussion/670749-best-tuner-for-my-jlt-cai-and-rev-limiter-on-2006-mustang-gt.html)

2006mustanggtowner 04-25-2012 11:33 PM

best tuner for my jlt cai and rev limiter on 2006 mustang gt

so recently my car went into the shop because it wouldnt pass inspection i bought the car from a dealership and it had a jlt cai and a tune well when i got it back from the shop i had a stock intake and my rev limiter is set at 6000rpm? idk what thats all about but needless to say if i put the intake back on my car runs like crap. so what would i have to do to put my cold air intake back on and how do i change my rev limiter???

wayne613 04-25-2012 11:50 PM

Depends on what you mean..Usual is the SCT offerings (usually the SCT X3)

The tune is where you don't want to miss the mark, always better to get a custom tune, even mail-order by a shop than just the canned tune most of the devices offer:

So the usual choices are to buy the tuner from to get a mail-order custom tune either included, or ordered separately that usually isn't off the mark by much, if at all are:
VMP tuning
Brenspeed
American Muscle/Bama tunes
Tillman
and others, for their customized tunes for your setup, preloaded when you buy their SCT device from them(make sure it can use custom tunes), either with emailing in datalogging support for your set of ordered tunes, or in the case of Bama and Brenspeed I think, free re-tunes for life. I'd call a few, talk with them, go with who you like best.

My Bama tunes haven't been perfect, but my experience is not common, and they're always on the ball once I call to ask for a re-tune(once I can get around to it). I think it may have something to do with the mid-production year switches in the 08's. I should probably submit a tune order as an 07, likely solve it. It's likely moot now, as I finally called for a re-do, which they did in a day, I just haven't loaded it yet.

Otherwise check for local speedshops (reputable) and have them tune, and/or put it on the device(s) they recommend/license/use. The options can be adjusted on most any of the popular tuners with or without a custom tune, so you can set the rev limiter to where you want, and usually find just about any popular CAI with a preset tune to use. Not to mention a bunch of other options..

AMWill 04-26-2012 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2006mustanggtowner (Post 7922187)
so recently my car went into the shop because it wouldnt pass inspection i bought the car from a dealership and it had a jlt cai and a tune well when i got it back from the shop i had a stock intake and my rev limiter is set at 6000rpm? idk what thats all about but needless to say if i put the intake back on my car runs like crap. so what would i have to do to put my cold air intake back on and how do i change my rev limiter???

It sounds like you just need a good custom tune. That's easy enough, because from what I'm hearing you have some bolt-ons, that should be easily manageable with a mail-order custom tune from Bama.

Bama can hook you up and enroll you into the Free Tunes for Life program for $150 and that includes any tweaks that you want for octane, driving style, new mods, etc. We'll tune for any new mods within reason (ie. no crazy custom turbo kits and custom motor / supercharger builds) regardless where you buy the parts.

The Bama team can shoot your files out via email and you'll be up and running in no time. We like to set the stock rev limiter for 05-09 GT's at about 6500RPM. We can tweak that to your needs.

Hope this helps! If you need to get ahold of the Bama team directly to ask about HP gains, settings that we change or any more info, they're available at the number/hours in my signature below. Good luck!

Shane

Nuke 04-26-2012 03:32 PM

Did the shop replace your JLT with a stock airbox? Did they give you the JLT? If not, I'd scream bloody murder.

Definitely get new custom tunes (AM or Brenspeeds tech guyz can help with the issue of probably not having the stock tune available). You can set the rev limiter to whatever you want (stock is 6250) after you get the handheld.

2006mustanggtowner 04-26-2012 04:52 PM

alright thanks alot for the info and yes they replaced i got mine back i was pretty mad tho it was a night ad day diffrence of power

2006mustanggtowner 04-26-2012 08:36 PM

so basically i order a programmer and order the custom tunes? for what i have done

wayne613 04-26-2012 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2006mustanggtowner (Post 7923227)
so basically i order a programmer and order the custom tunes? for what i have done

Yes. I'd call if you're unsure about what you're going to order.

Normal process is, pick the [correct] SCT X3 from their site with custom tunes package, they'll have a subsection or comment area asking you for the info they need.

They'll need the PCM computer code that's on a sticker on your car's PCM, year, and model, which specific CAI, and any other modifications drivetrain wise you have done.

Should you order from American Muscle /w Bama tunes(any that list custom tunes), the process is slightly different, as they'll keep your email/name on file, when you order the tune package you use the order number on their separate BamaTunes site, and enter the extra required info for the custom tunes there.
http://bama.americanmuscle.com/

kateramsey7 05-18-2012 08:08 AM

Sct x3 from bama tunes, they Offer free tunes for life