Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

2013 GT Test Drive -- Bad Experience

Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Default 2013 GT Test Drive -- Bad Experience

I bought a Grabber Blue 2012 Mustang V6 manual last year. Now I'm thinking about trading it up to a 5.0L V8 with a manual transmission. So last night I went for a test drive in a 2013 5.0L and I was really disappointed. First off, I was on a hill when I started, I shifted to neutral, and released the handbrake, and I did not roll backwards. I just hung there. It was as if the car had hillside assist. This was a stripped down, barebones 5.0L V8, so it shouldn't have anything fancy. Do mustangs even have hillside assist?! Even if it did, it sucked. Because suddenly it released, and I started rolling backwards. It did this same thing again later, and it really makes me think something was wrong with the car.

While driving the car, I was pushing the gas in about halfway and getting mediocre results from 0 - 3000 RPMs. After 3000 you could tell that I had a V8, but the car was NOT anywhere near as powerful as I had thought it would be. My 2012 V6 is BAMA tuned, and it just seemed significantly faster with throttle response and initial acceleration.

I drove a 2011 5.0L GT when they first came out, and that thing drove like a bat out of hell. I could absolutely take off with it. This 2013 GT felt like I was dragging a boat anchor or something.

So, is this normal for 2013s? Does anyone think there was something wrong with the car? I am having a really tough time imagining that Ford tuned their stock GT's to be so weak on throttle response so that a V6 would feel zippier (again, my V6 is BAMA tuned). Thoughts?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 AM
RyleyinSTL

Originally Posted by GhostStrykre
It was as if the car had hillside assist
The 2013 has hill assist. It uses the brakes to hold you there for 3 seconds or until you start driving, whichever comes first. If it was working as you described it then it was working properly and similarly to all other hill assist systems. It truly makes starting on steep hills completely easy. I don't see where the problem is.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:37 AM
Rylay
3rd Gear Member

I can see your point if you don't want the hill side assist because you want the control but I think its a positive thing if you get use to it.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:39 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by RyleyinSTL
The 2013 has hill assist. It uses the brakes to hold you there for 3 seconds or until you start driving, whichever comes first. If it was working as you described it then it was working properly and similarly to all other hill assist systems. It truly makes starting on steep hills completely easy. I don't see where the problem is.
solid.. the dealer and i looked at the window sticker and it did NOT have hillside assist mentioned on there. odd. but good to know that 2013's have that feature, so thanks for the info!

the acceleration though still leaves me baffled. i think im going to look around for a 2012 GT or something to see if it feels similarly. it's a financial investment to jump up to the V8, so i want to make sure that i know what i'm getting into. if it feels like that then i really think i'll stick with my v6... never thought i'd say that.

again, thanks for the hill assist info!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

So your disapointed with a technological advance or the performance of a high 12 second factory car???????
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

crap they have hill assist. this stupid WRX I have has it and I think its the worst thing ever added..i hope in the mustang you can atleast turn it off. Cause I plan on ditching this WRX very soon for a 13 GT. if you cant drive a manual well enough you need some stupid assist that actually makes it more of a PITA then get they shouldnt drive the manual.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
So your disapointed with a technological advance or the performance of a high 12 second factory car???????
the hill assist will take some adjusting.. that's not a deal breaker for me. in fact, my wife (who is learning to drive stick) will probably love it because hills terrify her. for me, i roll backwards A LOT in neutral rather than using reverse (its hilly enough here for me to do it regularly).

the performance just didn't seem right. as i said, i drove a 2011 GT and it flew. my mind was BLOWN after that 2011. this time i drove a 2013 GT and i was disappointed. it just didn't take off like i remembered. do you think im ruined by the BAMA tune in the V6? i'm sure that might be possible.... i'm just saying, my personal OPINION was that i wasn't impressed.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:52 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

sorry but your bama tune isnt going to make the car even close to the power and speed the 5.0 gives. Maybe its your head trying to justify to not spend the money but there is no way the v6 will compare to the 5.0. Anything short of throwing a S/C on the v6 will not make it even close. You sure the sales guy didnt take you out in a v6 by accident.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:07 AM
GhostStrykre
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
sorry but your bama tune isnt going to make the car even close to the power and speed the 5.0 gives. Maybe its your head trying to justify to not spend the money but there is no way the v6 will compare to the 5.0. Anything short of throwing a S/C on the v6 will not make it even close. You sure the sales guy didnt take you out in a v6 by accident.
lol no, it had the 5.0 badges on it.. it just rolled off the truck and onto the lot apparently.

let me clarify here. the 0-3000 RPM was the weak part. after 3k RPMs it was evident that the 5.0 was a vastly more powerful vehicle. my BAMA tuned V6 feels "zippier" with the initial start off, whereas the 5.0 felt like i was very sluggish.

i really believe you guys. the 5.0 should be vastly more powerful all over. perhaps a bad computer chip on this one? i really don't know, and i know that the GT should blow my V6 out of the water (BAMA tuned or not).... i'm going to have test drive again. and see whats going on.... probably a personal problem haha.

thanks for all the input here. i appreciate you all helping to bring additional perspective to me on this. you all rock!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

maybe the 11 you drove had 3.73 in it so that take off felt harder and this one had 3.31 so it was smoother and not as punchy out the gate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 GT Test Drive -- Bad Experience