Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Gonna cam it...need some feedback.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Default Gonna cam it...need some feedback.

As some of you know, I have been debating between purchasing a supercharger or staying n/a and upgrading my cam/exhaust setup.
Looks like old-school rulz again....go figure.lol
So i'm gonna do it up on this one and need the nations input.
My mission...
Sweet lopey idle with the classic exhaust note to match.
As V is my DD, keep in mind that drivability/reliability are the priority when making any recomendations...thanks!
Brenspeed will handle the install as well...

So far I am leaning towards FRPP hot rods over the detroit rockers cams. I don't know, they just sound better at idle.
Proformance pro's and con's between the two please.

Have no idea about the exhaust setup??? HELP!
I want the power gained by the lt's...just don't want the loud exhaust.
Both headers seem to work well with the cams for the idle, but is there a noticable difference???
How much hp will I give up with aftermarket shorties using the factory catted midpipe when compared to longtubes with hiflow cats???
Old 05-09-2012, 08:49 PM
kevilay
2nd Gear Member

I am interested in the same info you are asking for
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
2005Redfire6
6th Gear Member

Whats good about the Hot Rod cams is I've seen on YouTube people run centrifugal blowers with them if you decide to do that down the road. Not sure if you can do it with the other cams offered.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:49 PM
JCON
5th Gear Member

I plan to do FRPP Hot Rod cams as the do not require any valve train upgrades and let you run redline safely to 6,800 rpms! Also I have driven a car that had muffler deletes and FRPP cams only and it was an absolute pleasure!

I will get my car back tomorrow but I am getting Mac longtubes (ceramic coated) installed with an off-road Mac ProChamber and I already have Mac Boomtubes.

Build a strong exhaust and all the other mods will compliment it. You get the cams and exhaust and then add a low to moderate boost SC and you will be happy!

I hope to get dynoed soon after the exhaust install (and before my intake goes on) so I can tell you what it did for me. Ford claims 45 hp with FRPP Hotrods and longtube headers. I do fear that I will have to put mufflers on my car as it will be too loud. I will post a video up of before and after ASAP.

Also, for people with warranties still, FRPP cams won't void it.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

My things with cams is that I want my low end torque, but that idle is so seductive.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2005Redfire6
Whats good about the Hot Rod cams is I've seen on YouTube people run centrifugal blowers with them if you decide to do that down the road. Not sure if you can do it with the other cams offered.
i have the detroit rockers and i slapped a supercharger on. Not a big deal or a concern there at all
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JCON
I plan to do FRPP Hot Rod cams as the do not require any valve train upgrades and let you run redline safely to 6,800 rpms! Also I have driven a car that had muffler deletes and FRPP cams only and it was an absolute pleasure!

I will get my car back tomorrow but I am getting Mac longtubes (ceramic coated) installed with an off-road Mac ProChamber and I already have Mac Boomtubes.

Build a strong exhaust and all the other mods will compliment it. You get the cams and exhaust and then add a low to moderate boost SC and you will be happy!

I hope to get dynoed soon after the exhaust install (and before my intake goes on) so I can tell you what it did for me. Ford claims 45 hp with FRPP Hotrods and longtube headers. I do fear that I will have to put mufflers on my car as it will be too loud. I will post a video up of before and after ASAP.
Yea, I love the sound clips I have heard with muffler deletes...idle is enhanced somewhat with that setup.
So looking forward in your results, keep me posted!

The choice in headers is the big question for me...oldschool teaches shorties for low/mid torque and longtubes for power up top. Since I am increasing top end with the cams, wouldn't it make more sense to get shorties to help with the low end? If the cams rob me of low end maybe some pressure created by the shorties would compensate???
Maximum HP on a dyno is not my concern as much as consistant power through the curve.
Someone educate me plz.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:59 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Ive seen people running hot rod cams with blowers. It will work just fine, because the cam profiles are very similar to stock, hense the reason for not much gain of power, and the ability to run these cams on the stock valvetrain. I was stuck in the same position to, and decided to save for a blower.

If you are doing the cams purely for sound then these will sound great. For power i have read way to many threads with disapointing dyno results. If your lookin for power to with a set of stage 2 vsr comp cams and replace the springs and retainers and what not. They will be you biggest power gain on stock heads. But they wont be nearly as streetable as the hotrods.

For exhuast without a doubt get Lts if you have the chance. They work hand in hand with cams. Just get high flow cats, a set of mufflers you like and if its still to loud weld in a ser of m80 resonators.

The cams sound great, but IMO the hp/$ ratio for cams in these cars is not worth it

Whatever route you choose good luck bro. Keep us posted
Old 05-10-2012, 08:07 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mayo
Yea, I love the sound clips I have heard with muffler deletes...idle is enhanced somewhat with that setup.
So looking forward in your results, keep me posted!

The choice in headers is the big question for me...oldschool teaches shorties for low/mid torque and longtubes for power up top. Since I am increasing top end with the cams, wouldn't it make more sense to get shorties to help with the low end? If the cams rob me of low end maybe some pressure created by the shorties would compensate???
Maximum HP on a dyno is not my concern as much as consistant power through the curve.
Someone educate me plz.
The gain from shorty's is not as much as longtubes. I don't feel I lost any mid-low range power with the longtube install. If you're worried about losing torque with the cams and headers, get gears. Problem solved!

Also, if you're going to pay somebody to do a header install, it better be for longtubes!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:02 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
I don't feel I lost any mid-low range power with the longtube install.
Also, if you're going to pay somebody to do a header install, it better be for longtubes!
That's good to hear, and a good point on the install...tanks bro!

Quick Reply: Gonna cam it...need some feedback.