Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Hoping to buy 05 GT Premium this weekend. Advice requested.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 PM
AlphaOmegaX

Default Hoping to buy 05 GT Premium this weekend. Advice requested.

Hi everybody! I'm Josh and I hope to become a regular here!

From a dealer I trust and think will haggle with me. Assuming inspection and test drive goes well I intend to buy, after I walk away and have lunch first.

Automatic 2005 Mustang GT Premium in Red
Price on window shown as 14,995
Squeaky clean carfax
44000 miles

The part that requires advice:

Not entirely sure what I should NOT pay for this. Edmunds says trade in with outstanding condition is 12k. KBB trade in Fair value is 13.7. I can't really go higher than 13.9. Paying cash. Not sure how to approach this haha. Thanks in advance. This is the first car I'm buying from a dealer and even though I grew up in the business, it's a little daunting.

I was directed to ask this here. I was also advised to start at 12-12.9 and see what happens from there. Not particularly interested in an extended warranty. I wish it was a standard though!

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-24-2012, 11:06 PM
Freshman4life05
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by AlphaOmegaX
Hi everybody! I'm Josh and I hope to become a regular here!

From a dealer I trust and think will haggle with me. Assuming inspection and test drive goes well I intend to buy, after I walk away and have lunch first.

Automatic 2005 Mustang GT Premium in Red
Price on window shown as 14,995
Squeaky clean carfax
44000 miles

The part that requires advice:

Not entirely sure what I should NOT pay for this. Edmunds says trade in with outstanding condition is 12k. KBB trade in Fair value is 13.7. I can't really go higher than 13.9. Paying cash. Not sure how to approach this haha. Thanks in advance. This is the first car I'm buying from a dealer and even though I grew up in the business, it's a little daunting.

I was directed to ask this here. I was also advised to start at 12-12.9 and see what happens from there. Not particularly interested in an extended warranty. I wish it was a standard though!

Thanks in advance!
First Welcome to the Forums

Doesnt sound like a bad deal to me... I paid 15000 out the door for my 2005 GT premium last Aug and it had 80000... KBB said it was worth over 16000 so I got a decent deal at the time... Mine is a 5 spd btw
Old 05-24-2012, 11:35 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

If you want to haggle then I'd start at around 13.5 and see if there is any budge at all. Honestly that looks like quite the deal to me, of course the price for used 05-09 S197 Mustangs near me seem to hold their value. Check for the little things, scratches/scrapes. I suggest looking at the TSB page on the site and asking if any have been or might need to be done. Hope it turns out well, we always welcome new members!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:15 AM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

You should be able to get them to come down some. Just don't be eager. There r some Quircks here and there with them. The water leak issue alternator has been faulty at times. If u keep it garaged then u shouldn't have to worry about the water leak issue and I would suggest cleaning out those areas once a year
Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 AM
mayo
4th Gear Member

There is always wiggle room in a dealership price...ALWAYS!
Its really a question of what you are buying and when you are buying it, my friend.
Sportcars in June is not a tuff sale, ya know? The price is not bad at 15K, and if your paying cash and really want the benefit of that fact, heres what you do...
Go to the bank and get 130 $100 bills and take them to the dealership, polity put them on the table and see what happens...as the old sayin goes,
money talks and bull**** walks!
Good-luck on the purchase.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:34 PM
ski
4th Gear Member

FWIW, use the Dealer price, not the Trade-In price, as a starting point when buying a car from a dealer. In Los Angeles, the Edmund's dealer price for that car is $14,255. You should be able to get him down to your max $13.9K(and possibly lower) if you're a good haggler.
And always buy a car from a dealer on the last day of the month if possible. But you already knew that, right?

Last edited by ski; 05-25-2012 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I think $14k for an '05 is a tad high. Tell him out the door for $13.9k and you'll take it off the lot and off his hands. If he wants to move his merchandise, he'll bite. I'm sure he stole it from someone.

Read the list of TSB's in the S197 main forum stickies. You'll want to pay particular attention to the one regarding the water leak and it's negative affect on the Smart Junction Box (SJB). If it's rained recently, feel for dampness on and under the carpet by the passenger kickpanel.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:47 PM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

i payed almost 18k for my 05 GT Premium but it had quite a bit of work done to it already and it had 35,xxx miles on it. but it had a Cervins Ram air hood. BBK 62MM TB. CAI and it came with the SCT tuner It was a one owner car and in PERFECT shape. i dont Regret paying 18k for it but it was a plus to me that it had the mods already installed.

Ive seen 05 and 06 GT premiums go for 14-16k with anywear from 40,xxx miles to 70,xxx

that sounds like a good price for a GT Premium with 44,xxx miles on it.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:04 PM
JRC702
1st Gear Member

If you really like the car, I would offer 13k and try to settle for 13.5.
Don't be a *****, be friendly but be firm. His asking price is not out of line but you can do better.

Cash in hand means you are an able buyer, not some deadbeat with a credit score of 400 who would be a total waste of time.
On the negative side, the dealer would prefer to finance the buyer and maybe pad it with an extended warranty. There are commisions to be made in the F&I office.

I think most dealers would go for a quick sale netting 90% of asking price but you need to stand your ground and fend off the add on charges.
I work for a huge dealer group. Got a smokin deal on my GT with my employee discount, but there was no way around the $200 DOC fee

Let us know how you do.

Last edited by JRC702; 05-25-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:20 PM
snikr
1st Gear Member

I got a Red 05 GT Premium (39k for miles) last year for around $18000. Being as mine was a cash sale the dealer knocked off $1100. If I were you I'd offer your dealer about $13200 and see what happens. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Hoping to buy 05 GT Premium this weekend. Advice requested.