Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

GOAL: 400hp N/A 2010 GT

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 PM
TheDutchTexan
4th Gear Member

Seriously... Building a N/A 400hp motor with forged internals isn't going to do you any good if you then want to add boost. Your C/R is going to be too high to then run a lot of boost without having to run race gas.

I am saving my cash for a supercharger. I figure that if I want to, I will go to the safe limit of the stock block and drive around till it needs to be rebuilt / I want more. Then I'll forge the sucker, get it built for boost, and change some pullies.

I will go with the saleen super shaker, as there is room to grow to about 700. And to be honest, I just love that shaker hood look. Stock is about 500, which is the limit at the block without going forged. The transmission supposedly isn't going to hold that power down either, but ask around and see how many of them roush guys are running 500hp/tq+ trough the good old tr3650 without breaking. Just set some cash aside, because you will break sooner or later.

We'll see what happens, I got a good 2+ years of saving to do. Got to get a new set of wheels before my car can become the toy I intend it to be.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:27 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Like Justice said, to build a 3-valve up to put out 400whp n/a, it wont be boost friendly, a couple people have gotten very close, like 396whp and it takes a lot. but you wont then be able to supercharge or supercharge that same setup, that is running high compression heads and different cams than blower cams.

If you want to build an 400whp N/A 3-valve keep in mind you'll probably blow $8,000+ easily on the engine, then if you wanted to go to boost you'd need to tear it all apart and rebuild it or put a new engine in it.

much cheaper route would be buy a built/forged motor that is designed for boost (low compression) and then run your 650-800whp using a turbo.

If you have the funds and that is your goal go for that direction, don't waste a lot of time and money building it one way then tearing it all out to make your real goals. You'll want to have some sort of passion for n/a builds to want to build and keep a 400whp N/A 3-valve, when people with a $3500 blower make the same power.

and @justice, If you have goals above 550whp i'd avoid the saleen superchargers, even the supershaker, my friend had one, pulled it out and put a techo on it because it wouldn't reach his goals, techo was a good blower but lost all support so he dropped that one and went with a turbo. your next best bet if you don't want a turbo would be like a KB mammoth or that big whipple.

But just about everyone eventually gets rid of their Supercharger for a turbo or 2 in the pursuit of more power.

If I still had my 2007 GT and wanted to make some big numbers I'd order a built block and throw a turbo on it, and look into a new transmission asap

If I were smart, I'd sit on $20,000 and wait for one of those big boys to go on sale, get them at 1/3- 1/4 the cost. I might not even need 20k, maybe only 5-10k and finance the rest of it. (i'm sure no bank would finance 25-30k on a car that KBB says is worth 19k

Last edited by Mishri; 06-08-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:10 PM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Everything above is solid advice.

Here is another bit; drive a 450rwhp car you might find it is plenty and there is no need to spend the big bucks.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I'm going to get dynoed next week and i'll post the results so you can get an idea of what mods you'll need on top of mine.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:20 PM
bigsols05blackwidow
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
I'm going to get dynoed next week and i'll post the results so you can get an idea of what mods you'll need on top of mine.
Thanks! That'll be interesting to see.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 PM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm excited. I would guess you will need new heads, springs, more aggressive cams, throttle body, intake manifold, electric water pump, and underdrive pulleys at least.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:53 PM
JGill1992
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Roush05
make sure you let me know what your numbers are!
Old 06-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Roush05
3rd Gear Member

I'll be sure to make a thread with a vid!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

I'll never understand why people aim the mark at 400rwhp for an n/a 4.6. If you want over 400 to the wheels just buy boost or nitrous... 350 at the wheels is a more reasonable goal for n/a. Your going to spend gobs and gobs of money to get a 4.6 to the level requested, and it won't be street able..IMO of course.

When I get my s197 I'm just going to slap the frpp cams, heads, intake and some kooks lts with a catted x pipe and the ford tb and intake with some 4.10s and call it a day. That's easily in the 350 ish range and will be very street able. All motors cars have a nice power curve and all I really want is a fun car to drive on nice days.

Whatever you do decide to do...good luck!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:48 PM
outceltj
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Like Justice said, to build a 3-valve up to put out 400whp n/a, it wont be boost friendly, a couple people have gotten very close, like 396whp and it takes a lot. but you wont then be able to supercharge or supercharge that same setup, that is running high compression heads and different cams than blower cams.

If you want to build an 400whp N/A 3-valve keep in mind you'll probably blow $8,000+ easily on the engine, then if you wanted to go to boost you'd need to tear it all apart and rebuild it or put a new engine in it.

much cheaper route would be buy a built/forged motor that is designed for boost (low compression) and then run your 650-800whp using a turbo.

If you have the funds and that is your goal go for that direction, don't waste a lot of time and money building it one way then tearing it all out to make your real goals. You'll want to have some sort of passion for n/a builds to want to build and keep a 400whp N/A 3-valve, when people with a $3500 blower make the same power.

and @justice, If you have goals above 550whp i'd avoid the saleen superchargers, even the supershaker, my friend had one, pulled it out and put a techo on it because it wouldn't reach his goals, techo was a good blower but lost all support so he dropped that one and went with a turbo. your next best bet if you don't want a turbo would be like a KB mammoth or that big whipple.

But just about everyone eventually gets rid of their Supercharger for a turbo or 2 in the pursuit of more power.

If I still had my 2007 GT and wanted to make some big numbers I'd order a built block and throw a turbo on it, and look into a new transmission asap

If I were smart, I'd sit on $20,000 and wait for one of those big boys to go on sale, get them at 1/3- 1/4 the cost. I might not even need 20k, maybe only 5-10k and finance the rest of it. (i'm sure no bank would finance 25-30k on a car that KBB says is worth 19k

Yea that's dumb to finance anything for ur car other than a payment.

U need to set a goal for hp or 1/4 mile and stick with it. There will always be someone faster

Quick Reply: GOAL: 400hp N/A 2010 GT