Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

V6 style fog light addition to the GT - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Craigotron

Default V6 style fog light addition to the GT - possible?

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place but I thought I'd start here.

I recently just got a 2013 GT (Grabber Blue) and am in love with it. I have the full fog lights in the grill.

I noticed, though, that some of the V6s have fog lights down at the bottom of the bumper and that the GT has the same exterior "space" where some could go in. I did an early search on the internet and didn't see anything for sale that was for the V8. Would the V6 kits fit/work? How do they wire in? I'd be 100% fine with them coming on with the normal fog lights.

The idea here is to get some amber lights down there. Where I'm from is actually extremely rural and is lakeshore country and prone to fog. Way back when I had a first gen LS400 that had built in ambers and they helped a lot! I'm thinking about a move back home soon and wanted to get them in before that.

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
3.73-11
4th Gear Member

The foglights will fit try late model restoration they sell the inserts as part of the boss brake duct kit. Same inserts just without the fogs I would imagine they will sell the complete kit soon?
As for wiring you would need another harness or splice into the existing one, or just tap into the side markers and then whenever your lights are on your lower fogs would be also.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Depending on how you intend to use them will determine how you wire them. If you want to use them as REAL fog lights, then you'll need to wire them to be on independent of other lights. But if you want them just for show and "pretty", then wire them however you see fit or as 3.73-11 suggested.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Craigotron

Originally Posted by Nuke
Depending on how you intend to use them will determine how you wire them. If you want to use them as REAL fog lights, then you'll need to wire them to be on independent of other lights. But if you want them just for show and "pretty", then wire them however you see fit or as 3.73-11 suggested.
I actually plan to use them for real. I'm considering a move back at home and deal with fog prone areas, especially in fall, somewhat often. Having ambers on previous vehicles has been helpful. If anything it might make sense to wire them just to come on with the other, main, fogs.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:52 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

Check your local and state laws before you install them. Some states have laws limiting the number of front mounted lights that can be illuminated at one time. Thats why on the roush cars you can either run the lower fogs or the grill fogs but not both.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Craigotron

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
Check your local and state laws before you install them. Some states have laws limiting the number of front mounted lights that can be illuminated at one time. Thats why on the roush cars you can either run the lower fogs or the grill fogs but not both.
Already on this; I'm pretty sure the places I'll be where I'll be using them I'll be fine. Rousch Msutangs already do this? Is this something I should look into?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:22 PM
PNYXPRESS
5th Gear Member

the 05-12 roush's did not too sure on the 2013s. Funny how adding more light to make things more visible and safer is illegal though.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

For real fog or inclement dark weather use, I have 2500K temp bulbs in ALL of my vehicles fog lights. In serious nightime chit, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'd use the lowest height fogs (sounds like you intend to have those in the lower valance) for real and keep the higher ones in the grill for play or also with 2500-3000K bulbs to augment the lower ones.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Craigotron

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
the 05-12 roush's did not too sure on the 2013s. Funny how adding more light to make things more visible and safer is illegal though.
I know, right? It strikes me as a nanny law or something specific to urban environments; tuners or pick-em-up truckowners decide they need to drive the surface of sun around so those of us folks that travel to rural areas or have rural needs can use them without fear of getting a ticket by a cop looking to pad a municipal wallet. A law based on zoning makes the most sense. In town? Turn 'em off. Out in the boones? Go nuts.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Craigotron

Originally Posted by Nuke
For real fog or inclement dark weather use, I have 2500K temp bulbs in ALL of my vehicles fog lights. In serious nightime chit, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'd use the lowest height fogs (sounds like you intend to have those in the lower valance) for real and keep the higher ones in the grill for play or also with 2500-3000K bulbs to augment the lower ones.
I'd be tempted to swap the already there fog lamps in the grill with ambers and then augment down below. This strikes me as a good solution.

Quick Reply: V6 style fog light addition to the GT - possible?