Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Insurance companies suck.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 08:34 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by joshetc
I used to pay over $4500 a year, just for the stang. I had good credit, but I was 23-24 years old.

Now I am still around $1800 a year, after 3 years with no tickets.
Jesus Christ! I would have bought something else.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

I had lower premiums when I first bought the stang, I was on my grandpas USAA plan and he's like 50+ years super platinum whatever, with every discount known to man. It was about $1400 a year then. Shortly after I bought it, he took me off his policy and I got my own and it went up to about $2200 a year. Then I got in an accident and got 2 tickets and got dropped and it went to $400 a month.

I was pot committed on the stang, so I had to ride it out. Especially since it was 8 months old and had about $1800 in mods into it.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:04 AM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
The truth is insurance is a risk based industry and profits as a percentage are not obscene on the part of the insurance companies when compared to other risk based businesses. It sucks, but mustangs and pit bulls have a historical pattern of increased risk that justifies higher premiums. Prius and poodle owners benefit from the other end of the risk spectrum.
First ,let me say, thanks for the reply's......it helps.
Speaking of risks, they oughta reevaluate the risk factors then..........Why is it I see more women ,then men riding my ***, or running the leeft lane (camping out) is the term I use, totally oblivious too the speed limit. texting,talking and yes, even listening too there beloved music with ear buds! These people are causing accidents at an alarming rate, yet automatically get a discount because they are female, and a more passive driver........not anymoe, speed is a factor with most male crashes, but being rearended by other drivers not paying attention and following too close is getting out of hand..............Jeeesh, anutter rant.........I'll go back to my corner.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:08 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

I don't know about you guys.. but I've never gotten in an accident when doing 100+ on the freeway!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 AM
xkape
4th Gear Member

SOrry but I don't think $1538 for a RAM and a newer stang is all that bad. It is on the high side but only by about $20 a month I would say.
You get pissed about it but, keep this in mind... your insurance company is about to insure you for $30k - $80 (depending on your cars worth) and they don't know you from Adam. So since they can't come over and hang out with all their thousands of clients for a few weeks getting to know them, they devise a system. That system doesn't care if your Pitbull is missing 4 legs and has dentures, you get the Pitbull rate because, if they gave you a discount individually then, they have to do it for everyone and that gets us back to getting to know your thousands of customers and we already went over that.

You have 2 cars, just tell them ones for work and goes zoom about 12k miles a year and the other one is for pleasure and goes zoom 5k miles a year. I think driving record and miles driven are the two biggest concerns for them. The more you are on the road, the greater the risk you are to them and the more accidents you have had, the same.

I pay about $1650 a year for a 2000 Honda Accord, a 2007 Roush Stage 3 vert and a 2010 Chyrsler Town and Country. Wife and I drive both. 34 and married with 2 kids. credit sucks ****, her record is clear and I have a ticket for having dangerous equipment on my car (forget the technical name for that.. my tires were bald and I wrecked).

Hope that helps.

BTW, I love my car insurance company, they are awesome to deal with. Geico.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Way too many variables to be able to comment on expensive or not for the OP and his situation.

Do the math, that's $120 a month for two vehicles (~60 each per month). Depends on actuary (risk analysis) data compiled for his circumstances.

Shop around and see which company offers the best rates with IDENTICAL coverage. Some companies try to play the 'shell game' to make their rate seem lower than others but when you look at your coverage, it is crap which means you could get really screwed if you get into an accident.

We were paying $4,400 a year for four vehicles (My wife and I, and our two kids which were 17 and 20 at the time). With Zero tickets, no accidents, excellent credit (Mercury sucks by the way).

We switched after I got a ticket and they wanted to hike our rates another $600. We found the identical stuff with things like good student discounts, good driver discounts, home owner insurance discount, etc. Cut that bill by over 50% each year and that is with the speeding ticket on my driving record from day one. We've been with State farm now going on two years and our rates keep dropping (still no claims, age of ticket gettign older, age of kids going up.)

Shop around. There is no such thing as loyalty in the insurance biz.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

State Farm, to my knowledge, is the only dog-friendly insurance company still around. My dad uses them for his home and car insurance as he has a Doberman/Rot mix. Super well behaved, but Beta owners with Alpha dogs make these types of animals a liability.

$4500 a year for insurance? Jeeze I'd probably rather jog everywhere.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:49 PM
Toxix
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Jesus Christ! I would have bought something else.
Good old Canada, those are bare minimum rates here, $340 - $370 a month.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I've seen it happen to others, not to me thankfully, but if you lie or falsify information, and then make a claim.. and they find out about it, they won't pay a dime.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Always..always..get tickets "fixed" if possible. Every two years or so I get a 10-15 over ticket..and pay traffic law center to fix it. I'm not telling you what my rate is as it will probably make you mad Moving to the burbs from the city and being over 35 helps though BTW, the 5.0 is about $100 cheaper per year than my old 4.0. Go figure. No accidents also..that obviously helps.

Quick Reply: Insurance companies suck.