Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch wont disengage

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch wont disengage

I have a 2008 Mustang GT. I was driving today and went for 2nd and it wouldn't come out of gear easily. Put the in neutral and coasted til i could park it. I cannot get the car into with the engine running. Engine off i can put it into a gear. I can start the can in a gear and drive without the clutch but the start is pretty violent any ideas of how to fix this?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:00 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by acarzt
I have a 2008 Mustang GT. I was driving today and went for 2nd and it wouldn't come out of gear easily. Put the in neutral and coasted til i could park it. I cannot get the car into with the engine running. Engine off i can put it into a gear. I can start the can in a gear and drive without the clutch but the start is pretty violent any ideas of how to fix this?
any fluid leaks? is that the stock clutch setup?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

You fix it by replacing the slave cylinder and throw out bearing. Least that's what fixed mine.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:30 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sactown
any fluid leaks? is that the stock clutch setup?

Stock everything. No leaks that I can see.

Originally Posted by Simon1
You fix it by replacing the slave cylinder and throw out bearing. Least that's what fixed mine.

When this happened, the clutch pedal actually stuck to the floor. After pumping the clutch a few times the pedal feel went back to normail, but now the clutch wont disengage.

I suspected slave cylinder at first, but didn't think so since clutch feel felt fine after pumping the clutch pedal... Any other ideas?

I was hoping for something simple I might be able to do before going out and buying parts and trying to replace stuff.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:41 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Somethings broke. My guess would be the hydraulic slave, but could be the pressure plate also. you're going to have to pull the transmission.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
Somethings broke. My guess would be the hydraulic slave, but could be the pressure plate also. you're going to have to pull the transmission.
suck... that's what i'm beginning to realize from all the other threads i've been reading.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools or location to do this kind of thing at sooooo dealership here I come :-\

Any guesses on cost for something like this?

I might just go ahead and swap out the clutch, flywheel and cylinder slave with exedy parts.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

suck... that's what i'm beginning to realize from all the other threads i've been reading.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools or location to do this kind of thing at sooooo dealership here I come :-\

Any guesses on cost for something like this?

I might just go ahead and swap out the clutch, flywheel and cylinder slave with exedy parts.
I would do just that...get all your parts for the replacement clutch of choice...get a quote from the dealer on labor...the dealer in my area quoted me $450-500 to replace the clutch in my Shelby...
Old 06-25-2012, 10:47 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

The mechanic told me all of the material was missing on one half of the clutch disc.... Interesting...

So i put in an order with Brenspeed for an exedy Mach 400 clutch and their steel flywheel. Ive been seeing a lot of good reviews for that setup.

Last edited by acarzt; 06-25-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:22 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

The mechanic told me all of the material was missing on one half of the clutch disc.... Interesting...

So i put in an order with Brenspeed for an exedy Mach 400 clutch and their steel flywheel. Ive been seeing a lot of good reviews for that setup.
Well it must have welded itself to the flywheel or pressure plate.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:11 PM
acarzt
4th Gear Member

So I got the car back and the clutch pedal was losing pressure over time and I had an odd hiss when in 1st, 3rd or 5th.

So I gave up and I went and got a 2013 GT premium with the brembo brake package :-)

Quick Reply: Clutch wont disengage