Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Exhaust installation question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 04:08 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 08caliGT
axelbacks connect to the overaxel pipes, completely seperate from headers and a mid pipe.
I knew there was something in between the mid pipe and axle back, but how do you obtain the right size pipe for that section without buying catback setups?
Old 07-05-2012, 10:15 AM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by l00kitzzlilcj
I knew there was something in between the mid pipe and axle back, but how do you obtain the right size pipe for that section without buying catback setups?
All the axelbacks on let's say Americanmuscle are direct bolt ons. Mid pipes pair up with their headers and made to fit with the over axels.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Yep, as he said, all of the major brands will directly bolt in and match up. the exception ofcourse is the headers, you'll need the matching mid pipe, but with that it should match up with factory or any replacement axle back exhaust systems. Sounds like you already knew about the midpipe though.

Youtube videos don't do exhaust justice and it's hard to hear drone and stuff. Some exhaust that sounds awesome on youtube sounds terrible in person because the person's camera didn't catch all of the sound. (well microphone on the camera).

But you've been given good advice here, I'd actually just do the headers and mid-pipe with stock mufflers to see how that sounds. It would be loud enough for me.

My favorite stock exhaust with axle back sound is boomtubes, but that is too much with LT headers, way too loud.

So you'll either sell off your aftermarket axlebacks after you get your headers and midpipe or you'll get one so quiet now that you probably wont be happy with it.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:48 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Hey guys, I got a 2006 GT. I'm looking to bump up the exhaust to a more aggressive tone, not screaming loud like SLP loudmouths, but cleaner.

Im not sure where to begin but here's what I have planned out. Ive decided between bassani, pypes violator, or flowmaster hushpower for Axle Back. Later though, I want BBK LT headers with their shorty xpipe for the mid.

If I take one of those axle backs and purchase the BBK parts later on, will every fit with no problem? I plan to do this in my friends garage with my tools and his lift. Also, if you have any suggestions go right ahead and let me know, as I want to know other peoples opinions and stuff
l00kitzzlilcj,

There's some good suggestions on here! All of the info is right on too. I would try for the LT and Xpipe first if it's in your budget, like someone already said. You'll get a real clean tone with a significant power increase.

If you want to get the axle back first, definitely go with a more tamed muffler setup if you're going to do LT's soon. It's going to be rowdy once the LTs and midpipe are installed!

As far as fitment- that was already covered, but you won't have any problem lining up the axle back with the over the axle piping to the BBK midpipe.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the new tone!

Shane
Old 07-05-2012, 08:20 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the help. It really cleared things up for me lol because one of my buddies told me to let a shop do the installs so I don't have to deal with any welding and I was like no way there shoudnt be any.

I guess now I just have to decide whether to spend $430 on an axle back, or $1000 for headers and a catted X.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Gotta have the sound now is gonna cost you money in the long run. How much is it worth?

Norm
Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I see what you mean norm. Probably an extra 250$ if I wind up switching axle backs, unless I trade with someone which I probably would never do.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:58 PM
08caliGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone for the help. It really cleared things up for me lol because one of my buddies told me to let a shop do the installs so I don't have to deal with any welding and I was like no way there shoudnt be any.

I guess now I just have to decide whether to spend $430 on an axle back, or $1000 for headers and a catted X.
You should try finding stuff in the classified section, find a pair of axelbacks for cheaper, try craigslist. as long as they aren't beat in with a hammer or obviously pretty poor you can't go wrong. They'll most likely be broken in as well so you'll get the true sound. An o/r pipe with axelbacks is pretty loud.. my buddy just did shorties, o/r x and stock muffler, pretty quiet idle, decent WOT. So if you're doing longtubes its gonna be LOUD!!!! Look for a muffler style.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
l00kitzzlilcj
2nd Gear Member

Actually CaliGT, I was thinking that lol, but no one near me has the axle backs that I want. I looked on YouTube too and I thought this was odd- the mustangs on there with the hushpowers are the 2011+ 5.0's. Maybe it isn't a good combo or something with xpipes
Old 07-08-2012, 10:40 PM
brent_G
2nd Gear Member

I have corsa sport axle backs. Its before the headers and x pipe. Which it will get REALLY loud after that. but ill probably have resonators welded in before the axle if its too bad. I guess welll see. Anyways heres a clip.
Its a straight through design so most people will match up an X pipe with straight through muffer and an H pipe with chambered muffler.

My suggestion is get the headers and mid pipe. You will get power from it then just keep switching axle backs until you find one you like. Installations on axle backs take like 20 mins. I picked up my corsa's for 250 shipped on forums. They are like 750 new. so you can find deals here and there. ALot of people are searching for that sound they want so they show up alot on forums..

Quick Reply: Exhaust installation question