Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Clutch Engagement Whine

Old 07-07-2012, 07:03 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Clutch Engagement Whine

So, I was running the other day with the radio off (Nothing good on and the ipod died) and I noticed, EVERY time I engage the clutch, to either upshift or downshift, there is a whine that almost sounds like a S/C Whine. (Yes I've checked, no S/C here) Car is bone stuck 08 GT with 36k on it. the whine is most definately from the front end of the transmission (based on where I hear it in the car) and is the same regardless of speed/rpm. Is this normal? or something I should schedule a dealer visit for? I did a forum search and the closest I found was a servo whine thread, but from what is described it doesn't sound like that.

Thanks ahead of time
Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 AM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

Synchros.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:26 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

OK, so is this a problem covered by warranty? I have the extended plus warranty for a reason Or is it something that is normal? Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 04:01 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

No it won't be covered by warranty. Synchros are typically going to be considered a wear item and they will blame it on "spirited" driving. Also, extended warranty companies typically try everything possible to avoid covering any damage at all and will try to fight you until you just give up and pay to have it fixed yourself.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 AM
HxCGuitars
3rd Gear Member

Is it kind of like a whine that quickly decreases in pitch right when you put the clutch in? I've noticed it on mine with the windows up. Can't hear it when the windows are down. The trans also whines a good bit if I slowly accelerate in gear, but nothing I haven't heard in other videos online.

I've come to terms that my transmission is noisy...
Old 07-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Calgt08
1st Gear Member

Throw out bearing/slave cyl. They can and will make noise for years.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

So further clarification:

There is NO "syncro whine" from standstill/"neutral" when engaging the clutch. The "whine" lasts only for a second or two, and only when shifting about 2500rpm. So I believe you guys are right, its a syncro issue.

Now the question goes, is it anything to worry about? Is the Ford's tranny just noisy? I found a link somewhere that ford DOES cover this with warranty, but is it worth it?

Should I just let it go and see if it gets worse?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Calgt08
Throw out bearing/slave cyl. They can and will make noise for years.
Mine did for 4 years until it died. There was more of a whine with clutch in than out.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:35 AM
Calgt08
1st Gear Member

They can make noise in or out. Hell I have put in new ones and had them make noise right away.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:23 AM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Question regarding this (old) topic. Do I need an entire slave cylinder or just a new pilot bearing? Also, would it be worth it to have ford fix it (it is under my extended warranty,with a $50 deductable) and then put my own clutch on it this summer when I get FI? Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Engagement Whine