Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

4.10 gears consume horse power?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:03 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default 4.10 gears consume horse power?

I read this on Kennebell's website. I didn't realize it was that much of a difference. They claim 18hp less with 3.73's.

http://kennebell.net/KBWebsite/Commo...esAndCures.pdf

It's under dyno tuning towards the bottom of the page. I keep thinking back to a 10 speed I had as a kid. Put it in 1st gear and it was really easy to pedal, but you had to pedal a lot to go anywhere. Put in in 10th gear and it was really hard to pedal, but you would move much faster for each revolution of the pedals.

So all things being equal, you will dyno lower with 4.10's vs 3.31 or higher. Obviously on the street you will accelerate quicker, even though a dyno would show a drop in hp.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Nick V.
2nd Gear Member

wow, really? wonder what my dyno numbers would be since i have 3.23s...
Old 07-26-2012, 11:12 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick V.
wow, really? wonder what my dyno numbers would be since i have 3.23s...
Higher than the same car with 4.10s!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

i never thought you actually lost HP it was just that the HP/Torq curve changes a little. The peak HP would remain near the same. guess i was wrong! lol
Old 07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Wow. My 3.55s sound better now, AND, they don't whine..
Old 07-26-2012, 04:45 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I had read before there was a loss, but that's the first I've seen actual numbers. I'm sure they dyno a lot of cars, so they should know.

Last edited by moosestang; 07-26-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Beersnob5150
1st Gear Member

This is exactly the reason why most tuners use a dyno to tune, not for bragging rights. I would rather have a car that did well at the track or on the street, as opposed to a car that showed a higher number on a dyno.

I've known a few speed shops that will tweak little things like tire pressure, etc to make your car put down a bigger number on the dyno and make you think that they've done more to your car than they really have.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:36 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Beersnob5150
This is exactly the reason why most tuners use a dyno to tune, not for bragging rights. I would rather have a car that did well at the track or on the street, as opposed to a car that showed a higher number on a dyno.

I've known a few speed shops that will tweak little things like tire pressure, etc to make your car put down a bigger number on the dyno and make you think that they've done more to your car than they really have.
Nailed it.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:29 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

this was kind of a confusing subject to comprehend bc of so many mixed opinions and explainations, but people that have dyno'd many cars say that the gears do affect the hp, but their expaination of why would always differ.

it is in how the dynojet calculates the RWHP that the HP gets lost in the gears:

Originally Posted by Trick Tuners
On the dynojet (DJ) 224 unloaded (inertia) dyno, it will only measure hp. It will then back calculate the tq based on the hp and rpm. It does this by calculating the hp required to spin up the 2400lb drum at specific rates. If you spin it up faster, you make more hp. If there is no rpm signal, it can only measure hp. If you have a loaded DJ, then it can measure TQ directly from the load cell attached to the eddy current "loader". This TQ cell gets calibrated (hopefully before each use!). Other dynos like the mustang dyno and the dynomax dynos can measure the TQ based on how much current the eddy current load cell is using. They do not use heavy rollers, but instead use electrical current to slow the increase in speed, basically like an electrical motor operated in reverse.

this is how the dyno figures hp/tq
wheel HP = (wheel rpm x wheel tq) / 5252

when changing gears in that equation, the wheel tq and the number 5252 will stay the same, but the wheel rpm will be lower (since you change from for instance 3.55 to 4.10), since you will lose a slight top speed with the gear change.
now since that top speed is slightly less, it will equate to less hp on the dyno.
your engine hp is the same, only the way the dyno figures hp to the wheels will be less.
but your car will go faster.

wheel HP = (wheel rpm x wheel tq) / 5252

x=rwhp, and other numbers are just for instance.
x=(5000 x 400) / 5252
x= 380.8073

now, you swap for shorter gears (3.55 to 4.10) but i'm not sure about the difference, but the wheel rpm will be lower bc of the shorter gears. the torque stays the same bc it's on a loaded dyno.

x= (4900 x 400) / 5252
x= 373.1912

the exact numbers are most likely off. but its the basic way the dynojet figures HP.
thats the best explaination i could find.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:24 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Let me tell you something.
When we went from 3.55's to 4.10's in our 06GT we LEFT the GT's in our area with 3.55s.

I dont give a rat's *** what they say. The gear jump will win your race. Period.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.10 gears consume horse power?