Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

11gt+ vs. used 07+ gt500

Old 07-27-2012, 11:49 PM
5bites
1st Gear Member

Default 11gt+ vs. used 07+ gt500

I'm trying to sort out this dilemma. I plan on buying a '13 gt by spring. It dawned on me the other day that I could buy an '08ish gt500 with low miles in the same price range. Why did you guys choose the gt over the gt500? Any suggestions one way or the other?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:52 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I'm sure availability was a big one. Some prefer the look of the new mustang. Insurance is probably high on the 500. No way to select your options on a used car. Horse power of the gt is good enough for most people.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 AM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by moosestang
I'm sure availability was a big one. Some prefer the look of the new mustang. Insurance is probably high on the 500. No way to select your options on a used car. Horse power of the gt is good enough for most people.
+1 on those comments.
Even though i bought a 2012, the other factors for me were
1) rebates
2) Used car vs. New car interest rates
3) Creature comforts of the '11+

I drove an '07 prior to my '12 and feel like i got 10x more car! Even if i was in the position to afford an '07-09 GT500, i think i would look for an '11+ GT 500 instead
Old 07-28-2012, 06:20 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

GT500 all the way if you want performance.
I had the choice and MAN Im glad we went with the GT500.

So much more power. So much more room to mod.
The Shelby GT500 is in another class. It's not even in the same league.
You will NOT regret the GT500 and those tiny little extra radio extras and little interior designs wont mean SHAT to you once you get in the car... let on that gas, and let her roll. Plus the stares you get are a nice haha.
Its VERY nice to be part of the Shelby tradition and the great things SVT has done with the GT500. The amount of MORE power you can add to it for CHEAPER is also an OUTSTANDING bonus.

If you can get a GT500 with low miles. Hop on that bitch as SOON as possible!
I drove both and there was NO comparison at ALL.
9.9% of others that have done the same will tell you the same.

Get a GT500 and have those others as a freaking snake snake my friend!
By the way... our insurance went up only a TINY bit when we upgraded from the 06GT to the 08GT500.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

You will NOT regret the GT500 and those tiny little extra radio extras and little interior designs wont mean SHAT to you once you get in the car... let on that gas, and let her roll. Plus the stares you get are a nice haha.
Its VERY nice to be part of the Shelby tradition and the great things SVT has done with the GT500. The amount of MORE power you can add to it for CHEAPER is also an OUTSTANDING bonus.

By the way... our insurance went up only a TINY bit when we upgraded from the 06GT to the 08GT500.
Having just been a convert myself, I agree completely 100%. This is very very well said. I had an 06GT, a 10GT (with ALL of the bells and whistles) and yet there's no comparison. Shelby is truly in a class of it's own.

My insurance went up a total of $15 per month. pfft.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

Blacksmoke pretty much said it all...I picked up my 08 Snake in Feb 2010 with 558 miles on it...I installed a Brenspeed Stage2 pulley swap package...Dyno Tech DS...Borla exhaust...with a few other little things...I kept my 06 GT which has the normal tunes etc...I enjoy driving it and I have driven the new 5.0...but I get in my Snake and there is no comparison!
Old 07-28-2012, 01:26 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

How big is the "seat of the pants" difference between a 5.0 and 05-10 Shelby? I know traction (on stock tires) is an issue for the previous model Shelby..but other than the obvious joy of the sound and look..(which is all most people need to want one..), how different do they feel?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Ricardo
3rd Gear Member

I can vouch for BSmoke...I have an '07 GT and he let me drive his car. No comparison at all, I drove my car later and it felt so incredibly slow. The GT500 is a monster and there are very few places in America where one can really even use its full potential legally. Also another way to think is yeah the 5.0 can be modded to hang with an early GT500; but a 2011 V6 can be modded to hang with my '07 GT but that is no reason for me to buy a V6. If I was in the position to choose between a 5.0 and an'08 GT500, I'd take the one that comes with 500 HP to begin with and begin the mods.
Oh yeah and also you will hear from the "GT500 has nose dive it's front end heavy" camp. Yeah maybe so and my grandfather's Cooper Mini handles better than my much faster Mustang, no big deal.

Last edited by Ricardo; 07-28-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Beersnob5150
1st Gear Member

Another thing to consider is collectibility. In 10 years the GT500 is still going to be a GT500. A Mustang GT is going to be another used car, no matter what has been done to it. The GT500s are going to start being very popular now that Carroll Shelby has passed. You've got to think about the provenance.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:59 PM
5bites
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the replays guys. I'm sure I can't go wrong either way! Any more comments are welcome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 11gt+ vs. used 07+ gt500