Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

1st Mustang-2013 base GT or 2011-12 premium

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 PM
briankeene

Default 1st Mustang-2013 base GT or 2011-12 premium

I've narrowed it down to a base 2013 GT or a premium 2011-12 GT for my first Mustang. I really am leaning toward the premium. I found 3 within 200 miles of me for sale by private parties with 1500-5000 miles for 27-28K. I would still have most of the warranty left on the used.
There is that part of me that still is struggling with the "new" car. I was considering a V6 premium new but there is that little voice whispering GT in my ear. I know I would regret not getting the 5.0 every time I would see one pass me! The V6 with the stick and the 3.31 was pretty impressive, but it is a V6. It's gotta be the GT!
Old 07-30-2012, 08:34 AM
bgoose99
1st Gear Member

I bought a base model GT because what I really wanted was under the hood. I knew I'd be changing out other things on the car to make it mine, so the other upgrades just weren't worth the cash to me. If, on the other hand, you'd rather have the other stuff - leather seats, different gauge colors, ambient lighting, etc - then go for the premium.
My $0.02...worth every penny.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:40 AM
drf
1st Gear Member

Base 2013 GT with track-package is a real good starting point.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:42 AM
iceguyb14
3rd Gear Member

IMO get the 2013 base with the tech package.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
sbradle4
2nd Gear Member

I love the 2013's, but I like my creature comforts (have cake and eat it too approach.) I'd rather have an older model with everything I want, than have a stripped down brand new 2013. That's why I have a 2010 GT premium.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:25 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

I bought my 2012 premium brand new for something like 28k several weeks ago. There was a 3k rebate, and I ended up buying it slightly below invoice. They had several and were looking to get rid of them with the 2013's sitting right there...
Old 07-30-2012, 05:38 PM
briankeene

I'm thinking the 2012 premium new is a what would be my first choice. I get the xplan at work and with the 3K back I will be in pretty good shape. I'm going through my credit union so I will have cash buyer negotiating power. I'm not pulling the trigger until around the 1st of the year, we'll see what is available at that time.
The credit union said I could buy private party or dealer with under 10K miles and 2011 or newer for new car rate. Hopefully there are some new 12's still around or better incentives on the 13's when I'm ready.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:02 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Buy used and let someone else take the depreciation hit.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:31 AM
jdmcbride
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by briankeene
I'm thinking the 2012 premium new is a what would be my first choice. I get the xplan at work and with the 3K back I will be in pretty good shape. I'm going through my credit union so I will have cash buyer negotiating power. I'm not pulling the trigger until around the 1st of the year, we'll see what is available at that time.
The credit union said I could buy private party or dealer with under 10K miles and 2011 or newer for new car rate. Hopefully there are some new 12's still around or better incentives on the 13's when I'm ready.
If you have an X-Plan PIN number, then there is no need for cash buyer negotiating power. You simply get the best deal (which is usually a couple hundred over invoice), you get all available rebates (some that are only offered to X-Plan buyers), and special financing rates (usually better than credit union rates). There are also no added on dealer fees as there is a fixed tag and registration fee that is determined by which state you are in.

I bought my new '08 GT Premium with a sticker of $31,800 for $26,000 out the door with 1.9% Ford Credit financing.

They only thing that they can haggle with you is on your trade (which you should know what it is worth before going to the dealership) and any extended warranty/extra services offered at the time of financing.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
briankeene

Originally Posted by jdmcbride
If you have an X-Plan PIN number, then there is no need for cash buyer negotiating power. You simply get the best deal (which is usually a couple hundred over invoice), you get all available rebates (some that are only offered to X-Plan buyers), and special financing rates (usually better than credit union rates). There are also no added on dealer fees as there is a fixed tag and registration fee that is determined by which state you are in.

I bought my new '08 GT Premium with a sticker of $31,800 for $26,000 out the door with 1.9% Ford Credit financing.

They only thing that they can haggle with you is on your trade (which you should know what it is worth before going to the dealership) and any extended warranty/extra services offered at the time of financing.
I like the fact that it is straight forward on a new purchase. I'm able to negotiate on a slightly used, under 10kmiles. I sold cars for a couple years and I know that they have a few grand profit usually in the used cars. Some of the private party cars have CAI and exhausts installed.
I don't think I can beat the rate at the credit union, I am credit challenged from a divorce. 5 percent is good for my situation.

Quick Reply: 1st Mustang-2013 base GT or 2011-12 premium