Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

trumpeting with pypes mid muffler and stock H?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:32 AM
Justinsmt88
2nd Gear Member

I have a pypes off road x with pypes pipe bomb axle backs and I don't get any of that?
Old 08-07-2012, 10:25 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Justinsmt88
I have a pypes off road x with pypes pipe bomb axle backs and I don't get any of that?
I don't have the pypes bombs axle back. I have the mid mufflers with stock h pipe. It is straight pipe from before the axle all the way back. Having the whipple on there effects the exhaust as well.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

What about something like the MAC Boomtubes? They are basically a resonated tip aren't they?

Old 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
What about something like the MAC Boomtubes? They are basically a resonated tip aren't they?

yes, so is the pypes bombs axle back. They are both nothing more than a long resonated tip. The ones I ordered are the same basic thing only they cost me $53 for the pair and i'll have a muffler shop weld them to the mid muffler pipes.

I thought about getting the pype bombs, but since I all ready have pipes running all the way back where the stock mufflers go, all I have to do is cut them and add resonated tips. If you just have an axle back, then you'd still have to fab up some pipe going to the over axle pipes.

I'll post a new video from the same location, hopefully this weekend. It really only makes that sound in 2nd gear at mid rpms and half throttle or so.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I should get the new tips today, but not sure I will get them installed right away. I have a pinion seal to replace now.

I found that my drivers side rear most hanger had slipped out of the rubber bracket and was intermittently contacting the metal part of the hanger! I had to remove the hanger just to get it back in place. I really surprised it wasn't making any chirping noises.

I was also able to turn the whole drivers side pipe at the H pipe connection, even though I had it torqued to 35 ft lbs, wtf! I tightened the F out of it this time.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:03 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

alright, I cut about 8 inches of pipe off the muffler delete pipe that comes with the mid muffler system. I now have only the one hanger after the axle, but it doesn't seem to matter, these tips aren't that heavy. Here's a video. I left it a little long in the middle so people could see how bad my road is after it rains.

WOT in 3rd is at 3:33, but I couldn't hold it very long, because of a stop sign coming up. It definitely sounds different.

This isn't a truly fair comparison as I have a different tune on the car now, but the trumpeting was there with both tunes. Here's the mid muffler with the short pypes tips.

The tips are cheap, $53 for the pair. As you can see it's just a hollow 4 inch tip with a resonated core shoved in it and spot welded on the other end. I'm curious how it would sound with some hollow 3 inch tips.

These tips were not clamp on, I cut 4 slits in them using a grinder with cutoff disc.

Last edited by moosestang; 08-10-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

nice work.
sounds smoother.
but i have to hear it again when i get home.
with this work computer speakers, I cant hear too well.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Sounds better to me. How do you like it?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:46 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

sounds like the trumpeting is gone.
are the tips staying in place ok?
those clamps look pretty sturdy.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:06 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
sounds like the trumpeting is gone.
are the tips staying in place ok?
those clamps look pretty sturdy.
Those clamps are from the Pypes tips and they are great clamps. Pypes fitment might be iffy, but the clamps they supply are nice. Those tips ain't going anywhere.

I'm going to give it a few days to break in. I'd like to try some longer hollow tips to compare, but that's another $50. It is noticeably quieter at idle, which is ok with me. The real test will be this morning to see if it wakes up my wife.

I'm sure I could get these and resell them if it doesn't sound good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/QTY-2-UNIVER...sories&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: trumpeting with pypes mid muffler and stock H?